WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Woods hole shelter spur

The U.S. Forest Service announcement regarding bear canisters between Jarrard Gap and Neels Gap has a map that shows that Woods Hole Shelter Spur is closed to camping. Is camping at Woods Hole Shelter off limits right now? I was planning on staying at Gooch Gap and then going on to Woods Hole Shelter the next night. If Woods Hole Shelter is closed, I was thinking of camping at Lance Creek or Slaughter Creek. Any recommendations?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by get wayaway View Post
    Any recommendations?
    Yes. Ask the USFS.

RainMan

[I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

You can camp anywhere you like in the restricted area. But you must have a bear canister to do so. No camping areas are completely closed.

The Lance creek area is going to get pounded this year. Yesterday, 12 of the 15 thru hikers I talked with about the bear canister requirement were staying at Lance. The others were staying at or getting off the trail for the night at Woody.

Is Lake Winfield Scott Recreation Area a possibility for overnight?

Tumbleweed

Quote Originally Posted by RETCW4 View Post
    Is Lake Winfield Scott Recreation Area a possibility for overnight?

Tumbleweed
    Thats a really good question.

LWS is closed until 4/21 so as a practical matter the answer is no as most thru hikers will have already started.

LWS is a small campground so I don't know if any campsites would even be available after 4/21 for the hiker that shows up. And most hikers won't want to pay $14 for a place to pitch a tent.

IF the Federal Government was smart enough to talk to the State Government then perhaps the group camping area could have been set aside for thru hiker use until 4/21. But of course I'm sure that never happened. The bear problem would still have been an issue however -- the bears are smart enough to know that the campers at LWS have food and they are a problem there also.

Best solution is just don't plan to camp in this 5ish mile section.

I was just there 3 weeks ago, and the word was that camping at Woody or Blood mtn was off limits. We stayed at Gooch mtn shelter (take some mouse traps- I'm not joking). We went from there to Lance Creek to be just out of the "no camping zone". The next day we went up over Blood mtn and down to Neels Gap.. And for those that don't know, I'd rather go up Blood mtn 50 times than go down the north side just once. But that part of the trail is behind me now. Also, I saw more bear scat in the first 3 miles north of Neels gap, than I did the rest of the week put together...

++ New Posts ++