WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Cotton?

Default Cotton?

All of the sites I'm reading tell me that cotton is not to be worn on the AT, but I've worn cotton and jeans on every day hike I've ever taken, rain or shine. Is cotton really that awful when you're over-nighting it?

It's just that it takes forever to dry once it gets wet. And it gets wet very quickly.

Images

what temps are you talking about?
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Feathered friend to all. Penguin's Avatar

Wow I couldn't imagine eve hiking in jeans!!! They have way to much drag and would cause horrible chafe! The motto that I always heard and follow is, Cotton Kills.

Quote Originally Posted by kayak karl View Post
    what temps are you talking about?

Anything but the coldest temps. I've hiked in layers, granted it was only about three miles, but still, I had on one pair of cotton socks and one pair of fleece socks in my boots, my jeans, a cotton t-shirt under a cotton hoodie, with my heavy winter coat over top, and a fleece hat, and cotton gloves. I stayed warm, and I did notice the cotton was damp with my sweat, but never got beyond that, and was dry by the time I got home, (less than 15 min drive.) So I guess the answer is yes, cotton is bad for over-nighting it.

Try this:
    Put on your jeans and cotton Tshirt, maybe a cotton sweatshirt as well. Walk around and feel what it feels like to move around in them.
    Take them off, and weigh them on a scale. Dry weight.
    Now soak them in water. Wring them, shake them, spin them around, whatever you like to get the "excess" water out of them.
    Weigh them again.
    Now put those wet clothes on and move around. Heavy and cold, uncomfortable.

Cotton absorbs water, which then evaporates, which generally has a cooling effect. It has the capacity to hold a lot of water (added weight) and that water sucks away your body heat as it dries (evaporative cooling).

A better scenario would be clothing that doesn't hold much water and dries quickly, minimizing the cooling effect and returning to the dry, lighter, weight and feel.

Ranc0r

I wore cotton t-shirts when I got back into hiking a few years ago and they invariably became soaked with sweat and basically never dried out. I also wore cotton shorts, same problem -- I burned a hole in them trying to dry them out over a campfire. Switched to synthetic, much better.

Images

Jeans are too hot for warm weather, and in cold weather are dangerous if wet. Also too heavy.

Images

Try hiking 10 miles with jeans & cotton tee shirt in 90 degree temps you will change your mind.

Mike (Mr. Mean)

We have a saying here about tourists in cotton : Dressed for death.

There is a reason you find blue jeans and other cotton clothes abandoned at shelters and along the trail. Once they get wet, you need to get out of them and then thier too heavy to carry out, so get left behind.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Cotton kills.
    Great for the tropics.
    Sucks for cold temps.
    Believe it.
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

Images

Quote Originally Posted by fiddlehead View Post
    Cotton kills.
    when we make stupid and unexplained statements like this it is just the ignorant utterance of two words.
    PS.... GUNS KILL PEOPLE
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Journal Entries
    Images

I guess they answered that, but jeans are heavier than tech pants or shorts, the Tech doesn't retain water, (You can ford a stream in them ) and half an hour later will dry while hiking. So its now a nubie thing to hike in jeans and t shirts.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Interesting that you are a kayaker (I assume from your name anyway) and say that.
    Because it was on one of my first whitewater kayaking trips in 1979 when a famous boater is the one who told me that quote.
    I didn't have hypothermia that day, but only cause I was only in the water a short time and my car was nearby.
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

Quote Originally Posted by fiddlehead View Post
    .... Great for the tropics...
    I've worn cotton jeans in the desert, not backpacking but work projects and short hikes. They've provided great protection against cactus thorns.

Images

Most folks I know who only go on overniters, only do so when the weather is fair. Not real cold, and especially not wet. So, with that in mind, wear your cotton shirt and shorts. Why you would wear jeans over something like track pants is beyond me, but you can certainly do it.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Images

"Cotton kills" is actually the first thing that came to mind because during many outdoor wilderness classes that's one of the first things they mention when it comes to clothing when hiking. Many here have already responded with reasons why you should not wear cotton so I won't repeat it but listen to the advice....go synthetic.
    Happy Lifetime Sectioner!

Images

Like they say HYOH but when whatever you're wearing gets wet do not leave it at a trail shelter.......

The science of hypothermia

Cotton socks lead to trench foot. Cotton gets wet, stays wet, doesn't retain heat when wet... Wool is a lot better than cotton. My gear is either wool or synthetic. I love jeans, but wear them at home.

Hike smarter, not harder.

In the times before synthetics, people wore cotton all the time. I grew up hiking and camping in cotton. With that being said, there are better choices, and they don't cost that much. Use the right tool for the job.
    Con men understand that their job is not to use facts to convince skeptics but to use words to help the gullible to believe what they want to believe - Thomas Sowell

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++