WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Heet

Default Heet

Does it work as good as alcohol? Never used heet but it is cheaper.
    Don't Die Before You've Had A Chance To Live!

Only if you use YELLOW heat. It works great and is my perferd fuel. NOTE: Out side of New England, Yellow heat is most commonly found either at NAPA car parts stores or Wal-Mart. When I hit a town, the first thing I ask is where's the NAPA store?

Red heat is no good. Don't even bother.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Images

Yep, Slo-go'en that Red Heet is isopropyl alcohol. I was stuck using that once in of all places Yosemite. The outfitter in Tuolumne Meadows only had the red Heet in 2009. It worked in my Caldera Cone with 12-10 burner but was sooty as heck. I was very glad to get Yellow Heet again after that.
    The fumes from burning anything are bad but I have heard it said that Yellow Heet fumes are really bad to breathe.
    All this meant I just cooked outside the vestibule, which is a good idea anyway.
    The big advantage of Yellow Heet was that it comes in it's own 12 ounce bottle which is pretty pack friendly, is easy to fill the stove with, and you certainly wont mistake it for your water bottle.
    Headed in to town.. You gotta rock the down! -fellow hikers mantra

The only gotcha to the yellow Heet bottle is the cap. There are two kinds out there. The first is a screw top that is secure and fairly leakproof. The other common type is a pop-off cap, there's a slot you stick a screwdriver or key in to pry it off.. That kind doesn't re-seal well at all and I'd transfer the Heet to another leakproof bottle immediately.

The yellow heet vs denatured alcohol has been dicussed here many times before. I use both without noticing any difference when I change from one to the other. I don't find the yellow bottle that easy to pour from so I carry a plastic bottle with a flip top pour spout. I have also marked the oz on the side of the bottle so I can see how much I have poured. Heet (methonol) mixes fine with alcohol so if you find somewhere to get a resupply just add whatever you find with whatever you already have. my .02
    KK4VKZ -SOTA-SUMMITS ON THE AIR-
    SUPPORT LNT

Images

Target store brand works well also (yellow bottle). They marked it down to 58 cents a few weeks ago. Mite want to check there stores there.

Yes, the YELLOW bottle Heet is fine in lieu of denatured alcohol. Do not get/use the RED Heet.
    Find the LIGHT STUFF at QiWiz.net

The lightest cathole trowels, wood burning stoves, windscreens, spatulas,
    cooking options, titanium and aluminum pots, and buck saws on the planet

If you have an alcohol stove that has tiny holes, I think yellow Heet has additives that clog the holes slightly so the stove does not perform as well. Example, a brand new pepsi can stove went from 6.5 minute boil (2 cups water) to 7.5 to 9.5 minutes boil (2 cups water).

If I continued to use that type of stove, I would get my alcohol fuel at a hardware store, rather than get yellow Heet at a gas station or an auto parts store.

That said, my "goto" alcohol stove is a zelph Fancee Feest. I also like his Super Stove, StarLyte, and Companion Stove. I guess, I decided I like his wick stoves better than the other type of alcohol stoves.

I can use yellow Heet or hardware store alcohol fuel in any of those stoves without losing optimum performance.

Nevertheless, I prefer hardware store alcohol fuel. I think it burns cleaner.

There is something about the odor of yellow Heet I don't like, as well.

++ New Posts ++