WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Wood saw

Images

Default Wood saw

I would like to carry a folding saw on more of my section hikes, both to get better firewood and to clear some of the smaller blowdowns I run across. I bought the Gerber folding saw. Frankly, I think it's a piece of crap; the teeth aren't offset, so the blade binds very quickly.

I was looking at MEC and found Bahco Laplander Folding Saw and Buck Lightweight Folding Saw. I've also seen a saw made by Sandvik advertised and was wondering if anyone had used these saws and what their experience was if they had.

Thanks.

Real mean use their teeth.

But one of my friends has the Buck and its nice and light.

I don't remember what kind of saw it was that Bob Peoples provided for maintenance, but they worked great and didn't bind.

Maybe someone else knows the brand....or maybe you could give Bob a call.
    Stumpknocker
    Appalachian Trail is 35.9% complete.

My preferred saw for trail maintenance is the 21 inch Corona Pro pruning saw. Corona also has smaller folding saws of good rep. if you are only doing smaller cuts. The 21 inch saw is good for up to 18 inch soft wood or 12 inch hardwood.

Images

HOI, do you know if the teeth on the folding saws are offset? Did a little looking on the web and the price is right, so Corona could be a winner.

well I don't have one of the folding saws but from what I have heard of people that do they seem to like them and I can't see anyone liking a saw without offset teeth. The 21 inch saw is definately offset teeth (and dang sharp too)

Images

Im really surprised to hear you dont like the Gerber. I got one (as a birthday present, of all things!) almost 2 years ago. It has worked wonders for my overgrown yard (no one ever mowed the back acre!) and on my farm. Ive even used it to field dress a deer once. I got 2 different blades with mine, fine and coarse. Could that be where the problems are arising from? I do hope you find what you are looking for tho!
    ~If you cant do it with one bullet, dont do it at all.
    ~Well behaved women rarely make history.

Images

Are the teeth offset on the blades you've got? I looked at a replacement blade at REI but it wasn't any better.

Images

Is that a specialty blade? I've got a decent bow saw, but it takes 18" blades and is a pain in the patootie to lash to the pack. Always getting the pack snagged on the blade.

wrt a backed saw like a bow saw or the Sawvivor - I have found it much easier to use and generally useful for have a non-backed saw such as the Corona Pro - easier to cut in tight places and easier to use with a wedge. Franking I will never use a bow saw or other backed saw if I have any choice.

Images

Yeah, the standard bow saw's out unless it's one of those "piece of cake" overnighter style trips.

HOI, I'm probably not in your class of sawyer. All I'm looking to do is be able to clear up some of the smaller stuff while out on section hikes. It's extremely unlikely I'll have a wedge along.

Unless I bring a selection of mauls, axes, hatchets and such.

Whatever happened to the good old Sierra saw ? I used to have one and it was light, had offset teeth that cut very well and lasted a long long time.

RAT

here's an odd review of three saws. one site i saw listed the bahco laplander at 6 oz. in a very quick google, couldn't find a u.s. supplier, but the laplander is available from the uk amazon site.
    dissent is the highest form of patriotism.
    (howard zinn)

El Sordo
    Images

I recently bought a Gerber saw which came with an extra blade and sheath. The extra blade was I believe a bone saw blade. I used it last month on a two night trip and it worked very well. Just enough offset that the blade didn't bind. I also have a 'Sven' saw which folds up and works pretty well. You might have a look at those as opposed to a folding saw if the Gerber doesn't meet your requirements.

Images

Try this.

http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/st...berId=12500226

A teammate of mine had one. It was insanely fast and compact. Heavy at a pound tho.
    nous défions

It's gonna be ok.

Ditch Medicine: wash your hands and keep your booger-pickers off your face!

I guess I'm just an oldtimer but the standard light 21" bowsaw was all I ever carried. It strapped to the pack easily(WITH the blade guard)and with a new rustfree blade cut just about everything. It helped to build sweatlodges in Pisgah and numerous tipis in various locales. Some people swear by the double headed axe as the all around homesteading tool but my all around workhorse was and is the humble bowsaw.

I just don't carry a saw now on my backpacking trips, probably since I rarely build a fire, but when push comes to shove and you gotta get set up quick in something more permanent than a tent and start laying in wood, the good old bowsaw is danged nice to have.

Images

I have one of the Gerber folding saws and I love it. I have had the saw for a long time and it has seen a lot of use...it still has the original blade and cuts like a champ. Another saw that is pack friendly is the Sven Saw
    www.svensaw.com I've had one of these longer than the Gerber and it's a great folding bowsaw that is easy to pack in/out as long as I keep my eye on the wingnut that keeps trying to get lost when I put the saw together or take it apart.

I recently found these and........... maybe I'll be naughty and treat myself to one. http://crosscutsaw.com/1.html I imagine that one of these could make pretty quick work of wilderness area snags, widow-makers and blowdowns.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by copythat View Post
    here's an odd review of three saws. one site i saw listed the bahco laplander at 6 oz. in a very quick google, couldn't find a u.s. supplier, but the laplander is available from the uk amazon site.
    Am I missing something there, because I'm having trouble finding a link or anything.

As far as the Gerber goes, I'm more than a little surprised at the thing myself. Gerber has a pretty good reputation, which is one of the reasons I bought one without a great deal of research. Have they changed the way they make the blades recently or something? There's plenty of room to accomodate a little offset in the slot in the handle where the blade folds, but the teeth are not offset the least little bit.

Default bow saw blade protector

Quote Originally Posted by Two Speed View Post
    Is that a specialty blade? I've got a decent bow saw, but it takes 18" blades and is a pain in the patootie to lash to the pack. Always getting the pack snagged on the blade.
    A cheap protector for the blade is a piece of garden hose. Cut a piece the length of the blade and slit one side lengthwise. Then you only snag or cut something when you take the guard off.

Slosteppin

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++