WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Journal Entries

Default Transportation from Middlebury or Rutland VT

I'm going to thru hike the AT this year and I need to get to a wedding in CT. Does anyone have any ideas about how to get from Middlebury or Rutland VT to CT in late July?

Images

Rutland has an Amtrak station. Very limited schedule, but it does go toward NYC.
    Order your copy of the Appalachian Trail Passport at www.ATPassport.com

Green Mountain House Hostel
    Manchester Center, VT

http://www.greenmountainhouse.net

I'm assuming that's just your best guess as to where you'll be? Rutland's Amtrak goes across to Albany NY, then down to NYC. The Amtrak "Vermonter" line has a stop in White River JCT (south of Norwich VT) and goes down through CT, so it would have more options and not require a train change. It's 5-6 miles from where the AT crosses the CT river according to google maps, but I don't know how good that road is for walking (take rt 5, 91 is no hitchhikers or walkers). Or you could just wait and see where you are in mid July and make plans then.

If you're looking for a more reliable and accurate information on getting in Rutland yu can check services given by the Marble Valley Regional Transit District, here is their phone number: 802 773-3244 Ext#117. You can call them for some inquiries. Taking the transit nowadays is better due to high fuel prices and tepid economic conditions. Public transportation usage still increasing and will continue as expected.

++ New Posts ++