WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Question Various issues on the AT

I'm aware that the trail is not a true wilderness experience, but I'm hiking partially to get away from "civilized" society for awhile. I want to know how do you deal with "problematic" people on the AT? Is there a group of people that typically cause certain problems?

Cell phones, dogs, inconsiderate hikers, "yellow-blazers", and trash (both the organic and synthetic types, if you get what I mean) seem to be points of contention on the forum, and I'd like a berth of opinions.
    I've read enough to understand that I seem to be leaning in the "purist" direction, but I try to have a HYOH mentality.
    Made it down the coast in seventeen hours/ Pickin' me a bouquet of dogwood flowers

Quote Originally Posted by tolkien View Post
    I'm aware that the trail is not a true wilderness experience, but I'm hiking partially to get away from "civilized" society for awhile. I want to know how do you deal with "problematic" people on the AT?
    Same way you deal with them in society.
    Is there a group of people that typically cause certain problems?
    There are no gangs on the AT
    Cell phones, dogs, inconsiderate hikers, "yellow-blazers", and trash (both the organic and synthetic types, if you get what I mean)
    I don't get what you mean.

Garlic
    Images

One way to improve your outlook is to stop reading Whiteblaze and just hike. It's very easy to stay away from people and their detritus on the AT if you want to.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Images

Default well said

Quote Originally Posted by garlic08 View Post
    One way to improve your outlook is to stop reading Whiteblaze and just hike. It's very easy to stay away from people and their detritus on the AT if you want to.
    Where can I "like" this post?

I'm aware that the trail is not a true wilderness experience, but I'm hiking partially to get away from "civilized" society for awhile. I want to know how do you deal with "problematic" people on the AT? Is there a group of people that typically cause certain problems?

Cell phones, dogs, inconsiderate hikers, "yellow-blazers", and trash (both the organic and synthetic types, if you get what I mean) seem to be points of contention on the forum, and I'd like a berth of opinions.
    I've read enough to understand that I seem to be leaning in the "purist" direction, but I try to have a HYOH mentality.
    I believe the Appalachian Trail Conservancy suggests the best way to deal with problematic people or suspicious acting or harrassing type behavior is to not respond to it and attempt to get yourself away from this type of individual and to report any harrassing behavior to the proper authorities. Problematic people can be found everywhere, including on the AT. There are homeless people who have been reported living at the various shelters, begging for money and food, etc...The best is to just move on. Always carry a functional tent or tarp to be able to hike on in the event of a situation like this. Then you can find a place to tent or tarp away from any hostile or harassing type of behavior. As far as a "group" of people harassing hikers, causing problems, etc...locals deciding to party in the woods or at a shelter may be cause for concern. Avoid shelters close to roads or which are situated near roads providing easy access. There will be inconsiderate people found on the trail as in life. This is a reality. People will litter, talk loudly on cell phones, let their dogs run loose, etc...Unfortunately not everyone out there will have respect for other's, the trail/wilderness, or for that matter, themselves.

dapper d +1.........
    matthewski

Also, hike during the off-season if you wan't fewer people in general.

Quote Originally Posted by JAK View Post
    Also, hike during the off-season if you wan't fewer people in general.
    +1 Hiking in Oct, Nov & Dec is my favorite time to hike! Noone around, peace and quiet!
    Smile, Smile, Smile.... Mile after Mile

I read a post here somewhere....

Ah here it is:

Quote Originally Posted by stranger View Post
    Some really good advice on here already and I can offer the following reflections from long distance hikes from 1995, 2001 and 2008...

Yes, absolutely the trail today is a social experience for most hikers, with the wilderness/isolation thing being second, that's a given for most people. In the early-mid 90's it was different, but not entirely...the AT has always been a people's trail.

This does not mean however that it's a frat party out there, meaning the trail, in my experience, the trail is the one place that crap usually doesn't happen, and when it does it's both rare and predictable.

Most of the frat party scene is either in town, or at times on the trail with select, large groups of younger, prodominately male hikers who everyone knows about anyway. Many of these types hike to Trail Days, spend two weeks there, and fizzle out thereafter.

This also assumes you leave Springer Mountain between 1 March and 15 April, when the vast majority of hikers depart, by contrast if you left Springer in May you would have a very different experience IMO. Also, being 100 miles north or south of Damascus during Trail Days is a good idea in terms of the party hikers. In 2008 we hitched to TD from Iron Mountain Gap in TN, about 80 miles south of Damascus, when I arrived back in town 5-6 days later many of the hostels were full with hikers who had been in town for 2 weeks....

You can easily have a very enjoyable, somewhat solitary hike along the AT if you do the following:

1. Hike outside of thru-hiker season going nobo, or consider going sobo
    2. If are set on going thru nobo, leave very late April or early May
    3. Do not use shelters
    4. Do not camp next to shelters
    5. Do not frequent hostels
    6. Spend extra money and get your own motel rooms
    7. Don't go to Trail Days
    8. Don't be within 100 miles of Damascus during Trail Days

And really, as others have stated...Hike your own Hike, meaning...if you show up to a shelter and there are 15 hikers there, say hello, sign the register, use the privy, get some water and hike another mile or two before crashing for the night, there are hundreds of campsites along the AT.

Town is town, and you will run into hikers there regardless, but you can usually get your own room if you avoid hostels.

And if you avoid shelters...honestly, you will not see that many hikers along the AT, even during peak season, remember the frat boys are afraid of the rain : )
    I think much of that addresses the OP's concern. I like this part:

And really, as others have stated...Hike your own Hike, meaning...if you show up to a shelter and there are 15 hikers there, say hello, sign the register, use the privy, get some water and hike another mile or two before crashing for the night, there are hundreds of campsites along the AT.
    -------

"Rather than love, than money, than fame, give me truth." Thoreau

Journal Entries

Yellow blazers are of no concern to other hikers, or at least they shouldn't be. The trail itself rarely has too many hikers. You'll rarely meet more than one person an hour, unless you are on a speed hike, bent on passing everyone on the trail.

The only real concern for us folks that hike to get away from civilization comes at the shelters, camping areas, and road crossings. I tended to enjoy a little human companionship after a day of mostly walking by myself. But it's easy to avoid along most of the trail. Just find a camping spot away from the crowds. It can't happen everywhere. But it can in enough places to satisfy most of us.

It's funny because, as an extrovert, I'm really the last person I would want to bump into on the trail when I want so peace and quiet at the end of the day. So it's as much for the other guy as for myself that I try to hike alone and off-season as much as possible. When I do still happen to bump into someone at a campsite, it is a nice change, and well it's their hard luck I guess. I do move on though and leave them in peace, once I've talked my head off about some damn thing or another.

I feel somewhat obligated when I run into strangers to talk just enough so they know I'm not a crazy person, and then some more just to leave some lingering doubt. Wouldn't want people to be too careless.

you have to understand that all of the talk on here about all of the crazies, people, incidents, feeds, magic, or what ever is concentrated on these condensed pages. When you are actually out there all of these things are spead over 2100 miles. The talk on here makes it sound as if you are just around the next bend from you.

geek

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Adams View Post
    you have to understand that all of the talk on here about all of the crazies, people, incidents, feeds, magic, or what ever is concentrated on these condensed pages. When you are actually out there all of these things are spead over 2100 miles. The talk on here makes it sound as if you are just around the next bend from you.

geek
    But with your 3268 posts spread out over 2100 miles, that means I'm going to find crazies, people, incidents, feeds, magic, or what ever every .36 miles???
    Old Hiker
    AT Hike 2012 - 497 Miles of 2184
    AT Thru Hiker - 29 FEB - 03 OCT 2016 2189.1 miles
    Just because my teeth are showing, does NOT mean I'm smiling.
    Hányszor lennél inkább máshol?

There are more crazies here than on the trail...that's for sure.

Just because your not paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you!!! Kick back and enjoy. Take a sensible look at the situations that arise as they arise and adjust accordingly. If the vibe at the shelter is too weird, fill up with water and politely move on a mile or so. If you are at a shelter and rowdies show up, roll up and move on. I have benn out there in some pretty crazy conditions (weatherwise) and with some crazy groups (adjudicated youth) and never had a major problem with people on the trail. Most of the time, your vibe is reflected in those you encounter along the way, as with life in general.

Journal Entries

In my experience, which admittedly decreases as the years progress, the problem is grossly exaggerated on forums like White Blaze.

You will run into occasional parties. You can enjoy them or move on a mile or so and bypass them. It truly is not a nightly problem. Depending on your perspective it may be a weekly problem or a monthly problem -- or never a problem. Just an interesting look at a younger culture, a learning experience.

Images

I'd honestly say head to the PCT to get away completely.
    .....Someday, like many others who joined WB in the early years, I may dry up and dissapear....

Perspective is everything. Nice post, Weary.

Images

1) Don't let cell phone users surround you and always have a plan for escape
    2) Dogs can be avoided by climbing trees
    3) Inconsiderate hikers are lurking behind every tree, avoid trees(unless there are dogs present)
    4) Yellow blazers can only attack you from roads, cross them quickly and preferably at night so you can see their headlights
    5) Trash is everywhere, it's best to pretend like it's not

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++