Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Looking for a UL bag, with a decent weight range for my wife....

I'm trying to find a UL bag for my wife to use on the A.T. I myself am going with the Osprey Exos 58. Now I know men's and women's bags are supposed to be different, key word, supposed to be. If this is the case, then Osprey does not offer much of a selection. The Exos 58 offers 3700 CI and only weighs 2/10. All the other womens' bags weigh anywhere from 2/9 to almost 6 lbs! I'm wanting to get pretty much the same thing, not necessarily an external frame, but something along the lines of the same space and weight. Any advice will be helpful.

I really like the ULA packs. They don't have women's sizes per se, but they do have interchangeable hip belts and shoulder straps...some women need a little bigger hip belt than men....

I just bought the Kelty Red Cloud 80 - Women's Backpack. I'm being told it's too heavy (it weights 6 lbs) but I like it. Here is the link at Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Kelty-Womens-I...3&sr=8-9-spell I bought mine at the sportmans warehouse and spent $179. It's $144 on Amazon with free shipping, so needless to say mine is going back to the store. Hope it works out.

Kelli

Just get it somewhere that's returnable...and wear it around with weights in it before removing tags. My pack is 9 ounces heavier than the other ones I tried on, but it was so much more comfortable that I can easily hike with 30 lbs in it; the others hurt my body with less weight in the store. Try not to feel like weight is everything, although obviously the extremely heavy ones should not be tried on. Body shape is so individual that it's very difficult to know.
    fwiw, mine is not ultralight, but the Deuter act lite 60/10.

Not committing until I graduate! Sassafras Lass's Avatar
    Images

After a lot of trail n' error, I've settled on the ULA Circuit. Couldn't be happier.
    Formerly 'F-Stop'

If you don't like the road you're walking, start paving another one.

~ Dolly Parton

Quote Originally Posted by Sassafras Lass View Post
    After a lot of trail n' error, I've settled on the ULA Circuit. Couldn't be happier.
    I
    Sass, stop talking about this amazing pack!!!! Cuz now I want one. LOL! And I REALLY don't need another pack, but dang I like the stats on this one.
    Some people take the straight and narrow. Others the road less traveled. I just cut through the woods.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Sassafras Lass View Post
    "Trail and Error." That's Awesome.

Respect.

Images

Osprey makes some of the best women's packs on the market. They are not ultralight, however. Check the Ariel series - my wife loves her Ariel 55. It has excellent support and weighs <4 pounds.

I've tried for years to get her into a ULA or other <2 pound pack, and she will try them on, but wants the extra load support.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Cerveza - AT 2010; PCT 2011 StormBird's Avatar

I used the Osprey Exos 58 for the last 600 or 700 miles of the PCT 2011 thru hike and loved it. It's the lightest weight pack you can find at REI. They have a **** selection for women trying to go UL. Hope this helps. Good luck!
    Trail Name: Cerveza

Hike smarter, not harder.

ULA Circuit or Ohm. And the Gossamer Gear Mariposa Plus and Gorilla are awesome packs. Both companies build in the USA. So help a company in Utah or Texas make a payroll.

And I think about 99% of the marketing of women's pack is because society expects it, not because of any real need. I sure see a lot of women post on this forum who only get a pack that fits when they give up on women's specific packs.
    Con men understand that their job is not to use facts to convince skeptics but to use words to help the gullible to believe what they want to believe - Thomas Sowell

Not committing until I graduate! Sassafras Lass's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by JAK View Post
    "Trail and Error." That's Awesome.

Respect.
    Ha - thanks! I'll pretend that was intentional.

Quote Originally Posted by skinewmexico View Post
    ULA Circuit or Ohm. And the Gossamer Gear Mariposa Plus and Gorilla are awesome packs. Both companies build in the USA. So help a company in Utah or Texas make a payroll.

And I think about 99% of the marketing of women's pack is because society expects it, not because of any real need. I sure see a lot of women post on this forum who only get a pack that fits when they give up on women's specific packs.
    Yes - please support American workers! Just because I've been out of work since early January doesn't mean some other American should be living on food stamps too.

And if you go ULA, get the S-curve straps - they're better for boobs.
    Formerly 'F-Stop'

If you don't like the road you're walking, start paving another one.

~ Dolly Parton

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

I'd also take a close look at the new Granite Gear Blaze 60 Ki women's pack (2.9 lbs, $230).
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

++ New Posts ++