WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Its going to be nice this weekend. After a small chance of snow or rain tomorrow, Sunday looking good. We are heading up into The Whites to do something on Sunday

Quote Originally Posted by Chaco Taco View Post
    Its going to be nice this weekend. After a small chance of snow or rain tomorrow, Sunday looking good. We are heading up into The Whites to do something on Sunday
    Bring some cleats, you problaby going to need them. The hills look nice and white this morning, after getting a freash layer of rime ice and snow the last two days. It's been kinda chilly up here too, so expect some real slick spots in the shaddy areas. It's not going to warm up quick enough to melt all the new stuff in the next day or two. Maybe middle of next week.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Images

Pretty odd weather. St Johnsbury (VT) golf club is actually open - in March!? Too weird.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
    Europe had one rough winter this past season.
    Australian weather was crazy this past summer as well (Nov-Mar), tons of rain, flooding and only a few days over 100F, usually we get plenty of days around 110-115F but this summer was nothing, crazy weather everywhere!

Some of the pics I have seen of some of the ridges show very little snow. Above treeline is doable with microspikes

Knew it wasn't over....2+ feet of snow at the stake on Mansfield. Killington and Jay Peak are still open.

Yep, a low parked over Quebec and another developing off the coast = late season snow and spring weather more like normal.

At least we're getting some rain and don't have to worry so much about wild fires like farther south of here. Hope they all burn out or there is some rain in VA before I head down there for a few weeks at the end of May...
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Images

I live about an hour from Killington, and can't figure out where this precipitation is coming from. It hasn't rained a drop near us...

Washington has a low sitting over it with some light snow. The high summits forecast is looking bleak for the next few days. Im optimistic that this will move out. I live an hour south of The Whites and its pretty here but its like night and day compared to what is hitting the hills. I have 10 days to get some good weather. Def packing the snowshoes.

51" of snow at the stake on Mansfield this morning. Woke up to 4 inches yesterday morning. Supposed to be in the 60s this weekend.

It's been really cool here for the past week; last night it got so cold I had to cover up my Coleus seedlings.

Journal Entries
    Images

Starting to worry a bit about water down here in Massachusetts. No runoff and no rain.

Pretty deep snow in The Whites above 3500 ft. Very warm up here but its going to get back to being seasonable later this week.

Images

Is it looking like traction will still be needed in the Franconia Ridge/Kinsmans/Moosilauke areas next weekend?

Quote Originally Posted by nyrslr21 View Post
    Is it looking like traction will still be needed in the Franconia Ridge/Kinsmans/Moosilauke areas next weekend?
    Yes, definitely on the high ridgesIMG_3521.jpg
    Franconia Yesterday, granted there will be some heavy heavy melt today with it being mid 40's and 50's today and tomorrow. Lafayette and Lincoln both are still covered. Check the Mt Washington OBS site for the regional and high summit forecast. Also check www.vftt.org for trip reports

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Chaco Taco View Post
    Yes, definitely on the high ridgesIMG_3521.jpg
    Franconia Yesterday, granted there will be some heavy heavy melt today with it being mid 40's and 50's today and tomorrow. Lafayette and Lincoln both are still covered. Check the Mt Washington OBS site for the regional and high summit forecast. Also check www.vftt.org for trip reports
    Nice pic...I'm hoping it'll get to crampons but no snowshoes needed conditions by Sat.

Quote Originally Posted by nyrslr21 View Post
    Nice pic...I'm hoping it'll get to crampons but no snowshoes needed conditions by Sat.
    I think you can get away with microspikes and crampons for Franconia. Def only need microspikes for Kinsmans and Moosilauke.

Images

I hiked Moosilauke on Saturday and used microspikes only. The ice bulges/flows going up Glencliff Trail (AT) were quite interesting, but if you're used to dealing with ice, not crampon worthy. Not enough snow for snowshoes, either. With the warmer weather this week, there will probably be less snow and ice to deal with. I noticed less snow on everything (high peaks, Franconia and Presis) on today's drive up versus the drives up on Friday and Saturday.

So, to answer the question, yes traction will probably still be needed in some areas. It would be better to carry it and not use it than to be somewhere icy and wish you had it.

It was very warm on the north end of Monadnock. I had to bail on my trip due to a fever and hike back after being up most of the night with a fever and chills. Not fun when sleeping on the ground and looking forward to doing a big day today.

There isn't really much snow left up here, even on Washington

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++