WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Sending Winter equipment home

i was wondering what is the best and easiest location to get to for sending cold weather gear home and getting my summer bag sent to me? i have a marmont never summer 0 degree and i plan on starting the trail around the 3rd week of FEB 2013.

also would i need to have my winter gear sent back to me when i get farther north?

thanks in advance

Images

when are you starting???
    easiest towns are the towns you hike through, hot springs, erwin, damascus etc.......not extra traveling to get to PO.
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Garlic
    Images

Best advice I heard on trail, after misjudging it by a week too early at Pearisburg, is to wait until the Trail Days weekend (mid-May) no matter where you are. If you don't know your pace or when you're starting, it will pay to be flexible and have a friend at home ready to send it when you're ready.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Usually Pearisburg VA and Hanover NH is where you would make your switches.

However, for early starters like yourself the advice given by Garlic is good. You'll know your pace after a while, and on May 1 you can tell home support what town you will be at in May 15th.

GA-ME 2011
    Images

+1 for Pearisburg and Hanover.
    It doesn't have to be all or nothing, you can phase out of winter gear over a few weeks.
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

++ New Posts ++