WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Where to park in North Adams, Ma.

My son and are planning a overnight starting in North Adams, Ma. Anyone know where I can park my truck overnight?

Greylock Community Club. .3 from the AT. phone 413-664-9020. i parked there for 3 weeks. no charge. but i bought a few regulars at the bar some beers

Journal Entries
    Images

You can always park at the top of Greylock in season or in the Sperry Road Campground lot during the week. All you would miss would be the big uphill if your heading South.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    Greylock Community Club. .3 from the AT. phone 413-664-9020. i parked there for 3 weeks. no charge. but i bought a few regulars at the bar some beers

Yes - this is the best place - I left my car there with no problem for 23 days. There is also a nice campground near downtown N. Adams called Historic Valley Campground. You might consider launching from the campground - - they might also give you a shuttle to the trail which would be about 6 miles from there. Greylock Community Club is about 100 yards from the trail.

Images

I think I heard that someone's car got broken into or vandalized in the past year or two near the AT crossing of Rt. 2. Was that at Greylock Community Club or somewhere else? What I gather is that the club, because it's busy, is the best place, but you might also consider parking southward a bit where the AT crosses by the Mt. Williams Reservoir.
    The more miles, the merrier!

NH4K: 21/48; N.E.4K: 25/67; NEHH: 28/100; Northeast 4K: 27/115; AT: 124/2191

Images

North Adams is a little rougher around the edges (as far as towns go) than it's silver stocking cousin, nearby Williams, VT. - - if you go west of the trail there are gourmet food and wine shops, cigar aficionados, and wealth, well heeled college kids in wooly sweaters, go east and you have VFW Outposts, and aficionados of Pabst Blue Ribbon, guys with wallets on chains, and grunge kids in black with strange tattoos. Greylock Community Club is west of N. Adams but falls squarely into the VFW scene, so, there are some "dudes" that roam the street right there. The good news is that the N. Adams cops know that they let hikers park there - and they do watch the lot. I wouldn't worry about it but I guess something could happen. If you are really concerned, get a shuttle. Funny story: the long trail guide in '10 misprinted the listing as the Greylock Country Club - - I drove by several times wondering where the golf and tennis courts were and whether they would have a security guard - - it's clearly not that.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Papa D View Post
    North Adams is a little rougher around the edges ...
    Yeah, Williamstown is pretty fancy, for sure. Where'd you end up doing Spring Break last month, D? I was out to Everett up the Race Brook Falls Trail last Friday and thought of you. It was gorgeous out.
    The more miles, the merrier!

NH4K: 21/48; N.E.4K: 25/67; NEHH: 28/100; Northeast 4K: 27/115; AT: 124/2191

Hey, it's silk stockings, not silver ones--them's the spoons. Like most generalizations, while there's some superficial truths, but neither Williamstown or NA quite match the description. Both are good places to be, just with different histories. I'm comfortable walking the streets in either town, any time.

It's very unlikely you'll will have any issues at the Community Club. Since the one break in to a hiker's car about 4 years ago, the Club moved the hiker parking area closer to the road where the cars are well lit at night and easily observed. Other than the one break in, there have been no reported incidents in the 10 or so years I've been associated with the Trail.

Enjoy your hike,

Cosmo

++ New Posts ++