WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Snake bite??

Default Snake bite??

I just spoke with a customer of mine who returned today from a trip to Suches Georgia. While he was there sometime over the last couple of days he said a friend of his was hiking somewhere near the Ga state line on the AT and encountered a rattler. He and his son were both bit and someone else in their party left and made it to a ranger's station. They came, got them out and to a hospital where they both recovered. He did say that they were somewhere near a ranger's station but I don't know exactly where.Has anyone else heard of this incident? I wanted to make sure he had his story right and didn't have false information. How common is it to see a rattlesnake on the southern end of the trail? Caution is something we try to practice but kinda wears off and becomes secondary to the hike, which shouldn't happen. Makes me think of how I'd react if my wife or kids was bitten while were out.

How did they get bit? Rattlesnakes are part of the ecosystem down there, so they're common, but most don't see them, they simply walk on by.

Quote Originally Posted by john gault View Post
    How did they get bit? Rattlesnakes are part of the ecosystem down there, so they're common, but most don't see them, they simply walk on by.
    I don't know how they got bit, I'm going by 2nd or 3rd hand info. The young boy could have been harrassing the snake for all I know. I was told that the father got bit first so the son may have gone to help him or get the snake away, I don't really know.

Images

BOTH got bitten? Hmmm....
    "You're a nearsighted, bitter old fool."

Quote Originally Posted by vamelungeon View Post
    BOTH got bitten? Hmmm....

That's what I was thinking. That would be very unlikely, but not impossible.
    Don't Die Before You've Had A Chance To Live!

The only thing I can think is that one got bit first and the second tried to help. Like I say, it's hearsay.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

Images

If you sincerely wanted to know the facts, you could have contacted "the ranger station." Till then, this is a big bunch of hogwash wrapped in hearsay surrounded by gossip, with a heapin' helping of snake-phobia and should not have been posted at all.

[I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Quote Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post
    If you sincerely wanted to know the facts, you could have contacted "the ranger station." Till then, this is a big bunch of hogwash wrapped in hearsay surrounded by gossip, with a heapin' helping of snake-phobia and should not have been posted at all.

I'm sorry for the post, I just thought it was an interesting claim. Discussion closed.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post

Having a bad day?
    "You're a nearsighted, bitter old fool."

++ New Posts ++