WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Grapenuts and Nido

I'm experimenting with some easy, no cook breakfasts for my upcoming section hike; for those who have not tried it, Grapenuts and Nido with some water is excellent!
    Grapenuts aren't what anyone would call a UL breakfast but it's quick, easy and loaded with complex carbs.
    Minus the Nido, grapenuts have 6 grams of protein and 47 g of complex carbs per 1/2 cup but who only eats a 1/2 cup so not a bad way to start the day IMO.

You don't have to worry about them crushing like flake cereal. Most stores carry generic that are just fine, I use Wally World. Also make a good hot cereal on a cold day.
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

I prefer oatmeal but grapenuts are in my rotation. I use carnation non fat milk and honey. I want to avoid the bad fats that are in Nido.

What bad fats? I think it as 0 transfats but supposedly has soy which seems to really bother some people.

Saturated fats which raise LDL cholesterol.

Got it. According to my Dr., cholesterol is a non-issue for me so I'm good to go.

How about a whole wheat wrap, cheddar cheese, and some dried beef...?

Well actually for this trip I'm taking wheat torts, cheddar and summer sausage for my lunches. Heavy yes, but no big deal.
    Stafford huh??

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Majortrauma View Post
    Well actually for this trip I'm taking wheat torts, cheddar and summer sausage for my lunches. Heavy yes, but no big deal.
    Stafford huh??
    I don't believe UL is covered in the USMC Essential Subjects manual!

Quote Originally Posted by Majortrauma View Post
    Stafford huh??
    LOL, I was gonna post earlier that 1 cup of Nido whole milk is only 5 grams of saturated fat and of no harm....but after seeing you add the beef stick and cheddar cheese to your daily intake you are kinda pushing it for sat fats.

Then again, if your are like me and eat better when at home and have normal cholesterol anyway, it probably won't do much damage on a section hike.
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

I like just eating uncooked steel-cut oats. Just fill up a smaller Gatorade bottle with them and pour them in my mouth. Great to snack on during the day too.
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

You could also try no cook breakfast sausage on a bagel.

Images

I like Grapenuts, but I don't think I could eat enough of it. Unless I leave it soaking for a while, but jaw just gets too tired chewing it. I'd surely get a relapse of TMJ if I used it on a thru.

Images

My no-cook breakfast is usually some type of granola, fruit, nuts, w/ Nido. Quick, easy, satisfying, nourishing.
    NOBO section hiker, 1066.4 miles... & counting!!

Why would you not consider Grape Nuts to be light weight??? They are mostly carbs with no water to speak of, so would have pretty much the same calorie density of any dry starch. Only fats have a higher calorie density. Also, their ingredient list is pretty good looking (whole wheat flour, malted barley flour, salt, yeast, vitamins). Nido is just dried whole milk with added soy lecithin (i.e. phosphatidyl choline), vit A and D. Since the lecithin is purified, there would be only trace amounts of soy protein. Unless you are very allergic, not sure what the objection there would be.

Did you know that workers at the Post cereal company in Battle Creek were called "bread whackers" because in the old days, most got there first job at Post working on the Grape Nuts line. Loaves of barley bread were baked until dry. They were turned out onto a conveyer belt and high school kids were paid to stand there all day an pulverized them into Grape Nuts with wooden mallets.

I like to eat cereals before going to bed,but can't tolerate the milk unless I've had a couple hours to digest it.I too just add water to cereals,me kids think it's gross,but it is really not bad at all.and in fact I hear some shredded wheat calling my name....good night.

++ New Posts ++