WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Dehydrated Meat

Default Dehydrated Meat

Where are some good places to buy assorted dehydrated meats? Whether in store or online. After some research I cant seem to come up with much. Id love to add some chicken to freeze dried meals.

Doesn't Mountain House sell chicken in those large cans for survival-types?

I try to avoid Mountain House. Maybe I should have mentioned I like to steer clear of sodium and preservative overload; possibly why im having trouble finding this.

2012 NOBO AT Hiker In Planning Hairball's Avatar

Hard to dehydrate meat without sodium.

Sent from my R800x using Tapatalk

Check out Harmony House if you can tolerate TVP instead. Or Honeyvillegrain.com for freeze dried meat in #10 cans. I haven't used either, so I don't know what the nutrition or ingredients are like.

Kind of hard to dehydrate meat without salt. The salt is needed to lower the ph level as a preservative. You can dehydrate your own without salt and store in the freezer until ready to use. It should be safe for a week. Try looking for pouches of meat instead.

Have you considered a dehydrator? Don't need to get a real expensive model. Simple to use. You know exactly what you're eating. Saves money in the long run if you use it.

you could try biltong (south african style jerky)

http://www.southafricanfoodshop.com/

-Mrs. Oddbird

Thanks for all the suggestions. I realize some salt is needed, its the 600mg sodium per serving kinda salt I avoid. I have thought about a food dehydrator but decided against it for this particular trip. I will be on the LT for about 21-24 days so I am content with just purchasing the food. With work, college, hobbies, and a girlfriend I don't know where I would squeeze in time to dehydrate meat

Another question. Do dehydrated foods and freeze dried foods hydrate the same once hot water is added? I plan on my dinners being as much freeze dried/dehydrated meats, beans, veggies, etc. thrown into a ziplock, but I am unsure whether or not they hydrate the same.

For my section hikes in 2008 & 2010, I dehydrated cooked hamburger and cooked chicken at home (stored in ziplock bags in freezer until I departed) I added a little dried hamburger or chicken to each supper meal (Knorr sides) and ate heartily. Actually brought dried meat back home (yeah, I should have eaten more or taken less) and we used it up maybe a year after dehydrating. It keeps very well!

I generally like the South African kind of dried meat myself (maybe because I am from there... and a little biased). I dont find that stuff too salty.
    A Black And Decker Rice Cooker will let you eat inexpensively delicious meals

Stir Fry

This is MtHouse freeze dried chicken. Im not a nutritionist but 370mg does not seem to bad to me. Hamburger was similar. Just look for #10 cans they have chicken, hamburger and diced beef. I use both hamburger and chicken they make a greeat addition to most any thing. You can even eat dry in a pinch. Hamburger make great tacos on the trail I bring extra and its always a hit in camp.
    Chicken, Diced
    INGREDIENTS: Chicken Meat, and Salt.
    NUTRITION:
    Product code: 30142
    Servings per Pkg: 14
    Serving Size: 3/4 cup
    Total Calories: 170
    From Fat: 80
    Total Fat: 9 grams
    Saturated Fat: 3 grams
    Transfat Acid: 0 grams
    Cholesterol: 80 milligrams
    Sodium: 370 milligrams
    Carbos: 0 grams
    Dietary Fiber: 0 grams
    Sugars: 0 grams
    Protein: 24 grams
    If it do'nt eat you or kill you it makes you stronger
    'The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.' G. K. Chesterton

You're right. 370 isnt bad. I was assuming their meat was like some of their meals as far as sodium. Good suggestions everybody thank you.

Images

Other than when making jerky, I really find dehydrated meat to be disgusting. No matter how recently it was made, it just tastes old. I've found that freeze dried meat works a whole let better. I have also found that Future Essentials brand has freeze dried ground beef in I believe #2 cans coming in at 6 ounces. More to my liking as I dont want to buy #10 cans.
    igne et ferrum est potentas
    "In the beginning, all America was Virginia." -​William Byrd

I have always thought freeze dried reconstitutes much better than dehydrated. I buy all of my freeze dried foods to assemble freezer bags from Wilderness Dining. They have large and small packaging of just about everything and deliver very quickly. Google them, they have a website.

Gum

You don't need to add any salt if you do it yourself. Drying the meat is enough to preserve it for several weeks. Adding a little salt is a good idea if it is to be your primary source of sodium. Other potential sources of sodium are skim milk powder, sports drinks, and just about any packaged food. Store bought jerky has salt for extended shelf life, and taste, but I prefer little or no salt.

My recipe:
    beef cut in strips
    mollasses
    some booze for taste and to thin the mollasses
    some spices, different each time
    convection oven at 170F

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyPack627 View Post
    I try to avoid Mountain House. Maybe I should have mentioned I like to steer clear of sodium and preservative overload; possibly why im having trouble finding this.
    MH freeze dried isn't bad for you.... even the military use large amounts of salt for excersise to retain water and weight,

Quote Originally Posted by rastraikis View Post
    Kind of hard to dehydrate meat without salt. The salt is needed to lower the ph level as a preservative. You can dehydrate your own without salt and store in the freezer until ready to use. It should be safe for a week. Try looking for pouches of meat instead.
    Use low sodium Kikoman or Morton Lite sense substitutes.

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyPack627 View Post
    Thanks for all the suggestions. I realize some salt is needed, its the 600mg sodium per serving kinda salt I avoid. I have thought about a food dehydrator but decided against it for this particular trip. I will be on the LT for about 21-24 days so I am content with just purchasing the food. With work, college, hobbies, and a girlfriend I don't know where I would squeeze in time to dehydrate meat

Another question. Do dehydrated foods and freeze dried foods hydrate the same once hot water is added? I plan on my dinners being as much freeze dried/dehydrated meats, beans, veggies, etc. thrown into a ziplock, but I am unsure whether or not they hydrate the same.
    Clearly no. alas.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuckahoe64 View Post
    Other than when making jerky, I really find dehydrated meat to be disgusting. No matter how recently it was made, it just tastes old. I've found that freeze dried meat works a whole let better. I have also found that Future Essentials brand has freeze dried ground beef in I believe #2 cans coming in at 6 ounces. More to my liking as I dont want to buy #10 cans.
    Yep no brainer ...

Quote Originally Posted by JAK View Post
    You don't need to add any salt if you do it yourself. Drying the meat is enough to preserve it for several weeks. Adding a little salt is a good idea if it is to be your primary source of sodium. Other potential sources of sodium are skim milk powder, sports drinks, and just about any packaged food. Store bought jerky has salt for extended shelf life, and taste, but I prefer little or no salt.

My recipe:
    beef cut in strips
    mollasses
    some booze for taste and to thin the mollasses
    some spices, different each time
    convection oven at 170F
    not all store bought is over the top in salt. However - you should provide a slight amount of kikko for acid to prevent mold - even if you brush it on.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Kikko to prevent mold. Sounds good.

But what is kikko? I presume you don't mean Japanese hexagonal armour.

Aha, found it. I suppose some malt vinager might work also.

Okay so what is the difference between all these # cans? Besides that ive gathered that I should look for freeze dried, not dehydrated.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++