WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Coleman Propane Stove?

has anyone used this type of type for a thru-hike or at all. i know its a pound(ish) heavier than the Jetboil i have, but any pros or cons would be apprecaited. I was thing o getting one of these as there are cheaper, equal quality models, and fuel is only about 1/4 of the cost. so yeah. thank you.

http://www.amazon.com/Coleman-200000...9628035&sr=8-7

its not a great option. Cheaper fuel ok but you have to carry a fuel canister that weighs 29.5 oz for 16 oz of fuel. My 8oz coleman mixed fuel is 12.01 oz. Plus the stove itself is very heavy compared to most any canister stove on the market. You dont have to get jetboil, pocket rocket, primus stoves, soto stoves work just fine. 30 bucks isnt exactly cheap for a canister stove either, pocket rocket is the same price and I have a primus that was 18 dollars.

oh yeah this is an adapter that allows you to use the cheaper propane fuel with your jet boil or canister stove. Its about 7 oz.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/KOVEA-LPG-AD...item20c1b2ae8c

awesome thanks for the tip. i just got a deal on amazon. a primus type canister stove for $15 with 2 8oz canisters for only $10 more.

i think i just got caught up in the hype of a Jetboil, the convenience is nice, but not paying an extra $55.

So would all agree that a cheap canister stove is the best bang for your buck. It appears that alcohol are the cheapest, but almost double the required fuel, so it adds weight and in the long run can be more expensive.
    Also, about how much burn time do you get from a 4 or 8oz can of fuel

Quote Originally Posted by Bender8982 View Post
    So would all agree that a cheap canister stove is the best bang for your buck. It appears that alcohol are the cheapest, but almost double the required fuel, so it adds weight and in the long run can be more expensive.
    Yeah if you are more worried about money than weight alcohol is better, also alcohol is greener. And its really nice. But I prefer the quickness of the canister stoves. A 4 oz canister can last me about 7 days cooking for 2 people, just boiling water. Or about 10 days if its just me. But will vary greatly depending on what you are cooking or eating or how much water you use. When I start my thru I am bringing a 8oz fuel container. I would never carry more at one time, judging on what I have been able to find on here, it doesnt sound like finding fuel is an issue.

i think i will keep the cheaper canister stove, with a 4oz can(just in case i need to cook inside during poor weather, or a bad day) but i think im gonna go with a woodburner for my main stove, so i dont need to carry fuel.

i think i will keep the cheaper canister stove, with a 4oz can(just in case i need to cook inside during poor weather, or a bad day) but i think im gonna go with a woodburner for my main stove, so i dont need to carry fuel.
    Sounds like your content to bring extra weight, but why bring 2 stoves, bring one stove that you can use 100 percent of the time.

i dont think i can get away with the woodstove the whole trip, so well see.

worst case scenario, i can ditch the wood stove, as it is basically free.

Bender, I used an earlier model of your OP and it worked great just too dang heavy, it is now reserved for picnics. Right now I use a Super Cat Stove as I just boil water for FBC and Tea. But I am considering a 4 dog Bushcooker stove at 2.5 oz and can use wood, alcohol and esbit and would only have to carry a minimum of fuel as an alternate. I never am in a hurry once I get to camp, so what if it takes a minute or two longer to get the water hot. I spend that time setting up my tent and getting my sleep gear ready.
    "You have brains in your head/You have feet in your shoes/You can steer yourself in any direction you choose." - Dr. Seuss

Fuel usage depends a lot on the cook. I find myself using about 20g/day of canister gas. I'm typically doing fairly simple cooking, especially in the morning when I just boil water for tea and make instant oatmeal.

Based on 20g/day, a 110g canister (~4oz) would last about 5.5 days, and a 220g canister would last about 11 days. If you use a high efficiency stove like a Jetboil, you can stretch those numbers. If you cook in windy conditions or cold conditions, you'll need to use more fuel. If you melt snow, figure on doubling the amount of fuel you need.

HJ
    Backpacking stove reviews and information: Adventures In Stoving

++ New Posts ++