WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by lemon b View Post
    More then likely over 24 hours. Ward Leonard.
    ...agreed!

geek

Update: With the help of a very much appreciated crew (my husband!) I was able to run/hike the AT south to north thru the Shenandoahs in one swell foop last weekend, April 7-8. Didn't come close to Matt Kirk's time/distance but didn't really expect to. Made it about 80 miles (Elkwallow Gap) in 24 hours... the remaining miles a few hours longer. ;-)

The total distance was about 96 miles, from Jarmin Gap to the northern SNP border. From that point I took the easy 1/2 mile Compton Gap Trail out. Mostly it was a fun time. Saw an all-time low for deer in the park, only 6 total. Also a skunk, a bunny, and a few squirrels. No bears.

Having done the AT through the Smokies twice in a day, I think the Shenandoahs were easier but longer, if that makes any sense. I think giving the entire State of Virginia a go would be fun, too. Maybe some day...

Hey Vermonster, that's great! Maybe you should submit that 24 hour feat at FKT. I'm doing a fifty mile trail race in Pekin, Illinois in two days and would be pretty happy with your rate of speed for half your distance.

Quote Originally Posted by Vermonster View Post
    Other than Matt Kirk's almost 100 miles in Shenandoah National Park in 2004 http://www.ncultra.org/article.php?s...40312065116772 does anyone know of somebody doing more mileage on the AT in a 24-hour period? If so, who? Where? When?

Muchas gracias!
    Vermonster from AT thru hike 1994? It is Bluesky! I'm heading to the AT next weekend for a backpacking adventure with my family and found you here. What is new? Still ultra marathoning? Mtn Jam is in Bellingham, WA, I am in Charleston SC and things are awesome. Would love to catch up! Have a cabin in VT near Mt Pelier and heading there in July...fun to find you.

Vermonster AT 1994? This is Blue Sky. fun to find you!

Images

The human endeavor continues. Once the 4-minute mile was broken all bets were off.

24 hour ultra-marathon totals are insane............maybe 168 miles???

I'm pretty happy with my 12 MPD avg...........working on it.

Blue Sky, Just sent you a message!!

:-).

Peakbagger Extraordinaire The Solemates's Avatar

i think i've done 30 in 24 hrs before....but dont care!
    The only thing better than mountains, is mountains where you haven't been.

amongnature.blogspot.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++