WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Article: As of April 7th

Teej

"[ATers] represent three percent of our use and about twenty percent of our effort," retired Baxter Park Director Jensen Bissell.

Good idea Teej. A few comments:

1. The ATC definition uses the term "Conference" and "Conservancy" in the same sentence.

2. I'm not sure I'd refer to "Bald" as "low elevation" since many of them are higher than Katahdin and all the Whites except Washington. Low elevation by Rockies/Sierra standards but not for the AT

3. Black flies are not limited to Maine

4. BMT - I thought it was more than 90 miles

5. Fall Line is repeated

6. Handbook - Wingfoot's last guide was years ago - you may want to make this clear or just drop it.

7. Pink Blazing - "there" should be "their"

8. Maintainer - the PATC calls them "Overseers" a term which may be unique to the PATC but that brings up another question: the list includes some of the maintaining clubs but not all of them. If you want to confine the list to the larger ones, PATC should still be listed since they maintain about 250 miles of the AT. And speaking of PATC land, I like your clear and accurate of Shenandoah (if not the spelling) since so many hikers and WBers refer to "the Shenandoahs" which doesn't exist.

9. Trail Magic - trying to get away from regarding organized hiker feeds as one-and-the-same with Trail Magic, I've come up with the following: When good things happen to hikers, usually spontaneous and unexpected. It might be a ride offer from a passing stranger, free food courtesy of tourists, having a lost piece of gear found by a fellow hiker, or any other acts of serendipity.

Thanks for the response, Cooker.
    That's a really old, collectively written, submission. It was started way on the at-l, the original AT email list from back before WF even had a website.
    What I'd like to do is give it up to someone who could throw some energy at updating it.
    Teej

"[ATers] represent three percent of our use and about twenty percent of our effort," retired Baxter Park Director Jensen Bissell.

A few to get started?

Base Weight: The weight of your pack and it's contents, not including consumable items (food, water, fuel).

Big Three: Your backpack, shelter, and sleep system. These are typically the heaviest, most expensive, and most critical categories of items carried, and thus tend to get the most attention during gear discussions.

Aqua Blazing: By-passing a section of the trail in favor of floating along a waterway that parallels the trail.

Postholing can also happen when you're hiking on rocky trail that is covered with snow .
    If you're unfortunate your foot / leg will get wedged between two rocks and you'll be able to extract it w/ no harm done
    If you're really unfortunate you'll be heading downhill when that happens and your forward fall will cause body parts to break and or tear

stump bear - an old tree stump of the trail that on first glimpse looks like a bear
    stick snake - those pesty sticks that jump up and bite you on the leg when you step on it

Quote Originally Posted by TJ aka Teej View Post
    Thanks for the response, Cooker.
    That's a really old, collectively written, submission. It was started way on the at-l, the original AT email list from back before WF even had a website.
    What I'd like to do is give it up to someone who could throw some energy at updating it.

Hi Teej, Cooker, et. al.
    I'd be more than happy to 'throw some energy' at updating this list! My qualifications? A) food & lifestyle freelance writer for 8 years. B) hiker/camper/backpacker for 28 yrs. C) imaginary president of the Grammar Nazis OCD-Perfectionist club. lol

Anyway, I'd love to do it... The WhiteBlaze.net community has given me much, and I'd love to give back. Plus, it will give me a nice little 'project' while enthusiastically planning my 2014 NOBO thru-hike (timed to coincide with my 50th birthday). I promise it will be done long before 2014! haha

Let me know if you'll give me the green light. Thanks in advance for the opportunity.
    "It is never to late to be what you might have been." - George Eliot

Crotch Rot - The lathering and painful annoying sensitivity of ones butt crack due to a long hot day of hiking.

This is really useful for the newbies like myself. I've hiked sections of the trail, but not in any meaningful distance. I didn't know that the blue blaze could signify an alternative route for bad weather!

What is HDHMI?

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by melaniebk View Post
    What is HDHMI?
    A typo for HMHDI ? That's Mags's "Hike My Hike, Damn It!" - the opposite of HYOH.
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

Here's some funny ones I heard recently (not meant to be taken seriously):

Bear Burrito: Hammock
    Bear Fortune Cookie: Tent

"Brown Blazing" - funny!

My teenage son says the worst is the "swamp" (when sweat runs down the butt-crack, and pools at his testicles")

What is the WhiteBlaze definition of a lurker and/or a troll. Also what is someone called who talks a good talks but never does the walk as in 'Never back packs or hikes'
    Rolls
    Last edited by Rolls Kanardly; 03-22-2014 at 13:18.

Quote Originally Posted by cocoonboy View Post
    Crotch Rot - The lathering and painful annoying sensitivity of ones butt crack due to a long hot day of hiking.
    You also can't forget, "Swamp A**"

"You will go out in joy and be led forth in peace;the mountains and hills will burst into song before you, and all the trees of the field will clap their hands."
    Isaiah 55:12

Quote Originally Posted by greywolf1974 View Post
    stump bear - an old tree stump of the trail that on first glimpse looks like a bear
    stick snake - those pesty sticks that jump up and bite you on the leg when you step on it
    Now this is funny. All those time when hiking alone for hours, looked up at a black object and had my heart race only to find it was a stump. I though it was just me!

"ATN The Appalachian Trailways News" - I believe the Appalachian Trail Conservancy news magazine is called "A.T. Journeys"

"Bald" - A bald is typically a peak of mountain that is lacking trees. However, these are localized terms and mean different things in different areas. As such it is the locals that use the term. Often you will find something called a "bald" that is full of trees. I was a bald at one time but over years the forest has moved in.

Great Smoky Mountain National Park - also called GSMNP
    Blue Ridge Parkway - also called BRP
    Shenandoha National Park (way) - also called SNP

Slackpacking - In AT terms, a slackpack does not mean they don't have a pack. It is just that they don' carry it with them while hiking. For example if they get someone to bring it where the are hiking to.

Yogi-ing - think of Yogi Bear....

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Rolls Kanardly View Post
    WhiteBlaze definition of a lurker and/or a troll.
    Rolls
    i think that would be "pack sniffer"
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Pack sniffer. Good one!

Always fun to see this old thread come back to life!
    Teej

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++