WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Images

Default Appalachian Pages

Just got my copy, I'll be up all night reading!!
    Wonderful Job, Guys well worth the price!

dough Nut

Images

i just got mine in the mail todayneo

Images

I just went ahead and ordered a copy.

Images

Received mine today. Nice job!

Really great work on the Appalachian Pages data book. I like the profiles, perforated pages, the way the data is laid out.. It is inspiring and looks better than Wingfoots book.....

Images

Quote Originally Posted by neo View Post
    i just got mine in the mail todayneo
    actually i like it better than the thru hiker handbookneo

Registered User Frolicking Dinosaurs's Avatar
    Images

Has anyone with knowledge of the various towns looked it over closely enough to see if the issues that were raised about accuracy were fixed or not? That has been the main reason I have been afraid to recommend this resource.

Quote Originally Posted by Frolicking Dinosaurs View Post
    Has anyone with knowledge of the various towns looked it over closely enough to see if the issues that were raised about accuracy were fixed or not? That has been the main reason I have been afraid to recommend this resource.
    The thru-hike's handbook (2006) was a little misleading on town info/maps. I'd be willing to bet that this year's edition is improved.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by john gault View Post
    The thru-hike's handbook (2006) was a little misleading on town info/maps. I'd be willing to bet that this year's edition is improved.
    I know the author of the Thru-Hiker Handbook actually visited the towns himself to collect info and verify accuracy, but that doesn't tell me if the problems noted in the sample pages of Appalachian Pages were rectified. They are two separate publications published by completely different people.

Being a first hand user of the product is probably the best approach to providing a recommendation. Buy or borrow a copy.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Images

I'll buy it once it is established it is accurate. For now, I do my own section guides from info available on-line (not the ALDHA Companion before anyone howls) and print it out. Neither The Companion (bad format) nor the Thru-Hiker's Handbook (inaccurate) met my needs. This new resource won't either if it isn't accurate.

I think it is unfortunate FD that you continue to plant seeds of doubt regarding the accuracy of this work without actually having seen a complete copy. It might actually be considered somewhat damaging if you were to think about it. Since you don't plan to buy it yet, perhaps after a full hiking season a better evaluation could be arrived at before making a solid recommendation?
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea

I think the Thru-hiker's handbook was getting out of date, because Wingfoot was burning-out (pure speculation on my part). One day (2007) while sitting in a laundromat in Erwing, I was considering doing a cycling trip of the East Coast, through all the Appalachian trail towns to help him update his map/services info, never got the chance to approach him about this because he....well we all know what happened.

Images

Questioning the accuracy after some of the the most knowledge members said the sample pages were inaccurate is not out-of-line IMO. I checked the info myself and the sample pages were indeed inaccurate. I will be asking the same questions about accuracy when The Thru-Hiker's Handbook comes out because it has been historically inaccurate. I will be looking at the ALDHA Companion again this year to see if they fixed the awful format - hey, it could happen . I kind of get the feeling you think I should should just rubber-stamp my approval because of who is involved - that isn't going to happen. If the product is solid, I will recommend it - if it isn't, I won't.

Survivor Dave's Trail Shuttles-www.atsurvivordave.com
    Images

Default Book

I picked up a couple at Mountain Crossings today. It has some cool stuff in it. I have the TH Companion as well and I'll make a decision on what to take. I have a bit of loyalty to the Companion, Sorry Troll, but am open minded about it.

The shelves up there have more of Trolls' book than the Companion! Must be 75 copies!

SD

Questioning the accuracy after some of the the most knowledge members said the sample pages were inaccurate is not out-of-line IMO. I checked the info myself and the sample pages were indeed inaccurate. I will be asking the same questions about accuracy when The Thru-Hiker's Handbook comes out because it has been historically inaccurate. I will be looking at the ALDHA Companion again this year to see if they fixed the awful format - hey, it could happen . I kind of get the feeling you think I should should just rubber-stamp my approval because of who is involved - that isn't going to happen. If the product is solid, I will recommend it - if it isn't, I won't.
    I never said to rubberstamp anything. I suggested you test drive the material before suggesting it was inaccurate. Even Jack, one of the knowledgeable members of whom you are speaking, found your questioning of any innaccuracies illogical.
    http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?p=465978
    You really do seem to have it out for this publication.
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea

Well, since my name came up:

If people want to comment about the features of a new publication, I think that's great.

But actually COMPARING them to other works without having actually examined and read the 2008 versions of these other works......well, I think that's to be avoided.

If one hasn't actually looked at the latest version of a particular work, then I can't see how one can, with any fairness, "compare" it to another.

People have asked me what I think of the new book and how it compares to the other older guidebooks. My answer is that I don't know what to think of it because I haven't yet read it, and that I'll refrain from "comparing" it to other available books til I've had a look at all of them.

Other people can do whatever they wish, but comparing a piece of literature to another piece of literature that one hasn't yet read......well, this doesn't seem very wise, but maybe that's just me.

Journal Entries
    Images

FD

Keep in mind that the sample pages that you are referring to for Appalachian Pages were the pages that we first put online when we proposed how the book was going to look before we actually started doing the research and collecting data and calling places and having our team do the research, ect. They were just that “sample pages” of what we proposed the book to look like. The sample pages were corrected after we got the data for the particular town map.

You and others are under the assumption that the owner of the Thru-hiker’s Handbook visited every town and every establishment. While he did visit a lot of places and talk to a lot of people he did not visit every establishment. Bob and the Thru-Hiker’s Handbook is still a great resource and probably the one of the top books to use that are out there. I hope Bob great success as well.
    AT Troll (2010)
    Time does not wait for you, it keeps on rolling.

I know the author of the Thru-Hiker Handbook actually visited the towns himself to collect info and verify accuracy, but that doesn't tell me if the problems noted in the sample pages of Appalachian Pages were rectified. They are two separate publications published by completely different people.
    With respect to Appalachian Pages, I believe the sample pages were just that - sample pages of the layout and type of information you can expect to find in the guidebook. At least that is what I assumed when I looked over the sample pages before I purchased the guidebook.

Volunteers indeed visited towns to collect and verify accuracy of town information for the Applachian Pages guidebook.

Attroll - our posts crossed in cyberspace. Please correct anything I may have misrepresented.
    Last edited by Creek Dancer; 01-24-2008 at 14:39.
    Some people take the straight and narrow. Others the road less traveled. I just cut through the woods.

Frolicking Dinosaurs-"I know the author of the Thru-Hiker Handbook actually visited the towns himself to collect info and verify accuracy...."
    Wrong. Dan may have contacted some services listed in the book but he also relied heavily on feedback from hikers, he didn't visit many of the places listed at all. From Dan Bruce's introduction of the 2004 Thru-Hiker's Handbook:
    "We make the best possible effort to ensure accuracy by updating annually and contacting each of the places listed herein.... What should you do when you find the handbook does not match... Addresses for sending feedback are listed in the front of this book, and so next year's thru-hikers will know who to thank, you will be acknowledged as a contributor in the 2005 edition."
    In the back under 'Acknowledgments', he writes(edited to shorten):
    "...Without the help of those who take the trouble to share information, this guide would not be possible.[lists 32 people] ... Thanks is also extended to the various members of the various A.T. clubs who provided valuable information...to [ATC,Baxter, etc]... postmasters...owners and managers of the businesses and services listed herein for supplying data used to update the information about towns and services."
    update Alligator has been kind enough to inform me that FD was probably talking about the new Thru-Hiker's Handbook editor, Bob. I know he said he would be visiting people but seeing the book apparently just gone to press and will be available at the end of January, that is still futureware.
    Last edited by The Old Fhart; 01-24-2008 at 15:56.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++