WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Question Port Clinton, PA - Looking for safe parking

Does anyone have a recommendation for where to spot a car at (or near) Port Clinton, PA for five days??

I will be ending a section hike there and the local State Police said there has been lots of vandalism to hiker cars. I do not want to leave my car there at the AT parking area and come back to smashed windows.

Recommendations??
    You are never too old.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

I might see if you can put it near Cabelas or in that area (ask them). Is the Wal mart open 24 hrs? That might be an option also.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Images

FWIW I left a vehicle at the PA 61 hiker lot for 4 days this summer and didn;t have any issues

Blue rocks camp ground,park your car,pay a few bucks for parking only ,not sure how much but it's family owned and the best part is that their blue trail leeds into the AT about a mile away if I remember right to port clinton is about maybe 8 miles south and hawk Mt. and eckley shelter is about 7 miles north.
    hope this helps

Journal Entries
    Images

Having been there many times Cabelas is too far away and the intersection at 61 and the trail is littered with car glass. I like Rocketsock's idea - I have met the owner who is vet and in poor shape - "wheelchair" and I like that idea the best.

Back up idea would be over the bridge at the railroad... park to the left of the sign.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Images

I used the lot just south of town on main road. Left it there for several days and had no problems. If going north just cross the road and pick up the trail just down the road.

I am now considering leaving my car in the lot after some of your replies. After all, what is insurance for? I am sure I would not be saying that if I had problems. lol.

Thanks for all of your comments and suggestions.
    You are never too old.

You can park on just about any side street in Port Clinton, and the vehicle will be fine. You may also want to check down at the train station they have a lot there along the river where I have parked before

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Chenango View Post
    I am now considering leaving my car in the lot after some of your replies. After all, what is insurance for? I am sure I would not be saying that if I had problems. lol.

Thanks for all of your comments and suggestions.
    The deductables can kill you....

Quote Originally Posted by birchy View Post
    You can park on just about any side street in Port Clinton, and the vehicle will be fine. You may also want to check down at the train station they have a lot there along the river where I have parked before
    So have I - its a good spot
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

We (Mariano, Tinker. and me) had a great hike in PA ... perfect weather for most of the trip. Pennsylvania is a beautiful state.

I ended up leaving my car at the AT parking lot on RT61 in Port Clinton. No problems at all. This spot is so much better than by the RR station parking area. It is right on Rt61 and is very visible.

Thanks all for our advice.
    You are never too old.

.........and YOUR advice, too. . Thanks for the company, Peter (he confided in me that he really didn't care for Chenango). We're still trying to think of a name for Mariano (he's from Argentina, btw, and didn't care for my suggestion that he go by Chupacabra ).
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chupacabra
    Last edited by Tinker; 11-18-2011 at 20:43.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Quote Originally Posted by Tinker View Post
    .........and YOUR advice, too. . Thanks for the company, Peter (he confided in me that he really didn't care for Chenango). We're still trying to think of a name for Mariano (he's from Argentina, btw, and didn't care for my suggestion that he go by Chupacabra ).
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chupacabra
    Yes, I appreciate all of YOUR advice fellow WB'zers.

I use "Chenango" as a name for now and was known as "Shennanigans" on the AT this spring. I guess I am a man in search of a name along with other things I cannot find.

In all seriousness, the AT in PA is a beautiful trail and I am grateful for hiking it last week with friends.

No, I did not see the Chupacabra while out there. But, I believe it is around somewhere. Maybe Iwill find it on the Florida Trail this winter.
    You are never too old.

I don't think anyone would want to be know as a "Goat Sucker"...How about "Goat Roper"?

you can leave cars parts in the lot on the southbound lane of 61 or the railroad lot in PC. Also can obtain permit from Hamburg to park at Water Reservoir

Journal Entries
    Images

Let's also add the Hamburg Reservoir lot is closed some parking is on the approach street.

Woo

++ New Posts ++