WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Gas in Cold Weather: The Myth of "Fractioning"

I'd like to dispel a myth that's out there: The myth of "fractioning."

Fractioning suggests that in cold weather, only that portion of your canister that is propane will burn. If you've got a 100g canister of 70% butane and 30% propane, 70g of your fuel would never burn and would just sit there essentially useless in your canister. This is not the case.

Well, if fractioning is "off," then what is the case? The short answer is that for the typical canister stove, more gas will burn than just the propane -- but you may still get some unburned butane left over. Want to know how it all works? I invite you to peruse my latest blog post: Gas in Cold Weather: The Myth of "Fractioning".

HJ
    Backpacking stove reviews and information: Adventures In Stoving

I'm not sure what the word "myth" is supposed to mean here. But if you're in 0*f weather depending on a canister stove, you're gonna be disappointed. Doesn't matter if technically "some" fuel is still vaporizing if your stove can't put out enough heat to get the job done. IMHO, leave the Jetboil at home and carry either a Trangia or Whisperlite when the temps are below 20*F. Guaranteed you won't catch me screwing around with ANY canister stove in cold weather.

Quote Originally Posted by dla View Post
    ...if you're in 0*f weather depending on a canister stove, you're gonna be disappointed.
    Generally true. But not quite true with an inverted canister stove, particularly if you're at all above sea level. Recall that the higher you climb, the colder the weather you can operate a gas stove in. Also, not quite true if you take steps to warm the canister. See Cold Weather Tips for Gas Stoves. There's more to it than just the outside temperature.

Quote Originally Posted by dla View Post
    Doesn't matter if technically "some" fuel is still vaporizing if your stove can't put out enough heat to get the job done.
    Absolutely true, and that's the bottom line.

HJ
    Backpacking stove reviews and information: Adventures In Stoving

++ New Posts ++