WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

1,630 miles and counting earlyriser26's Avatar
    Images

Default Camping at Manassas Gap Shelter in VA

Going out on a short hike next week and we plan to camp near Manassas Gap Shelter. Are there good spots here? Any other useful info?
    There are so many miles and so many mountains between here and there that it is hardly worth thinking about

Images

This is your typical everyday shelter nothing fancy aboutit. As far as camping, the is a number of nice camping spots on the other sideof AT (great for groups) and used to be smaller ones on the trail to theshelter. This shelter has a great gushing piped spring; downhill in front ofshelter.

As far as the trail around you, I would head north through there as you will beentering the G. Richard Thompson Management Area, which is known for theTrillium Wildflowers, then 7 or so miles later into Sky meadows State park.

Feel free to ask me any other questions you have about this area as I live nearit and I’m often found hiking in it...

Images

Camped there a couple years ago and as C Seeker said the piped spring is great as is the tenting area next to the shelter side trail. There was also a bear pole for hanging food.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Camping poor by the shelter. Best site is the one opposite the side trail to it. Trillium out now, beautiful.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Images

Cool shelter - nice old logs with chinking - good water source - you should be able to tent right there. Last time I was there we had a little safety meeting and played "state park monopoly" - - saw a big bear that day too - - 2008

++ New Posts ++