WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: MD section hike

Default MD section hike

Section hiking maryland early June. Are there any water crossings? How are the bugs? Any additional knowledge about this section is appreciated. Thanks

Images

Maybe we will see you on the trail. We are hiking from Penmar to HF beginning May 31. Which direction are you traveling? Sorry I have no useful info, but I will follow this thread with interest.

The only ones I can recall off the top of my head were almost to PA in MD.. One right before a road that the makeshift bridge had washed out when I was there in November. Only about 1 foot deep though.. walked straight through and kept on trucking.

Images

Default re: MD section hike

Quote Originally Posted by stompyfoot View Post
    Any additional knowledge about this section is appreciated. Thanks
    I sectioned MD two summers ago. Might read my MD Trail Journal entries as I'm somewhat detailed in my writing.

I hammocked and used a head net at night. Might need some bug juice from time to time at sunset and dawn.

Recommend hiking south from Penn-Mar as all the scouts doing 50 milers do.

Bring extra water into Garvey so you don't have to do the steep downhill to the spring.
    Appalachian Trail Online Course
    http://at-trail.blogspot.com
    Information and resources for the A.T. hiker

Follow @section_hiking on Twitter
    http://Twitter.com/Section_Hiking

Quote Originally Posted by stompyfoot View Post
    Section hiking maryland early June. Are there any water crossings? How are the bugs? Any additional knowledge about this section is appreciated. Thanks
    Water crossings, as in fording? Typically the only noteworthy fordings are in Maine, but given enough rain one may be required to ford in countless locations along the entire length of the AT.

Additional knowledge: It is actually more rocky than many parts of Pa. It is my home state and why I chose Florida to reside

Images

I might add there are no water crossings to mention unless the C&O Canal which runs parallel the AT walking path becomes flooded,which was the case when I hiked Maryland last spring.
    Getting lost is a way to find yourself.

Images

You're on the South Mountain ridge most of the way, so there's no major water crossings.

i have planned this section for the end of may, first plan on parking on at the national park, fee is $10 up from $6, the shuttle from harpers ferry to pen mar will cost about $100 unless you can split with someone ( i am up to that is the days connect) the distance is about 45 miles, water is available at many locations. according to the AT planner there are shelters about every 8-9 miles.

I actually had some wet crossings when I sectioned in April of 2011 but that was an extraordinarily rainy time. I wouldn't worry about it now.

Images

I did the section over the past Easter weekend 2012. I remember "rock hopping" about 2 low creeks nothing approaching a river crossing. Bugs are everywhere in June but nothing Deet can't deter. With the mild winter ticks and other pests might be at a record high. BigHoDag's description http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=314440 is pretty spot on although I think he talks to himself on the trail alot.

The whole section is pretty tame and EXTREMELY well maintained. Some minor ups and downs but no big pushes. Very minimal vista opportunities especially when the foliage is in. There are a few blue blazes but without the altitude they are little more than rolling hill scenes. All the water is easily crossed. So much so one could probably manage without waterproof shoes. It is a very fun section and Harper's Ferry is a special place. I think if you moved the Maryland section into Tennessee people would be raving about it. However the combo of the ATC/halfway point and the push to get to Pennsylvania after a depressing time in VA seems to lend people to blasting through without enjoying it. I live an hour away so most of my use of the section is off season- no bugs. If you have any degree of Civil War buff in you there are a lot of easy sight seeing opportunities too. Great section with kids and dogs.

Did the MD section several years ago (before moving to VT). It was early summer and only one crossing comes to mind, less than knee deep. Pretty cool shelter on this section, pics in the Gallery here. Enjoy! I still miss Harpers Ferry and crawling through the caves there.

++ New Posts ++