WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Massachusetts Trail Conditions

Hi Folks,

Is anybody familiar with trail conditions in Massachusetts in late May? I know New England has been unseasonably warm and dry this past winter, so I'm wondering if I can squeeze through Massachusetts and lower Vermont at the end of May without hitting bad mud or snow.

Thanks,
    Phil

Journal Entries
    Images

We never have snow in May. Right now not much mud either. A lot depends on future rain as far as the mud goes. The muddy and wet areas are just after one gets off the Mt Everett area to when you go up East Mt., alittle wet area by Goose Pond nothing serious, then no real mud till right after Pittsfield Road and thats only a couple of clicks max. On the way from Windsor Mt over toward Kay Wood the trail sometimes can be confused with a brook, Once thru Dalton it is pretty much clear as far as mud goes. My though is the bugs will be more bothersome then the mud. Mosquitos and a good chance of Blackflys. Should actually be a nice walk this year.

Mass yes. VT probably not due to mud season. they still got snow up there when MA didn't

Mud Season
    http://www.greenmountainclub.org/page.php?id=60

*depending on where in VT.. they have mud season suggestions. on that site

Thanks for the quick responses!

Images

Was up at Graylock day-hiking a couple weeks ago and trail looked pretty good. Very little mud mainly on the North side of the summit but pretty good other than that. Thanks Jake for the link from GMC...I was planning a hike in a couple weeks up over Straton...I may want to reconsider.
    “Well, I'm walkin' down the line.
    I'm walkin' down the line!
    An' I'm walkin' down the line,
    my feet'll be a-flyin',
    to tell about my troubled mind.”
    - Bob Dylan

Images

Quote Originally Posted by lemon b View Post
    We never have snow in May. Right now not much mud either. A lot depends on future rain as far as the mud goes. The muddy and wet areas are just after one gets off the Mt Everett area to when you go up East Mt., alittle wet area by Goose Pond nothing serious, then no real mud till right after Pittsfield Road and thats only a couple of clicks max. On the way from Windsor Mt over toward Kay Wood the trail sometimes can be confused with a brook, Once thru Dalton it is pretty much clear as far as mud goes. My though is the bugs will be more bothersome then the mud. Mosquitos and a good chance of Blackflys. Should actually be a nice walk this year.
    Never say never, May 9, 1977, Western MA was hit with a heavy snowfall. See attached link for map of snowfall. http://www.easternuswx.com/bb/index....panew-england/ I remember my wife,s tulip blossoms sitting on top of the snow.

Journal Entries
    Images

Damn MB I don't remember that one. Was the year after I got out of the Army. Must have been loaded behond recall that week. This Oct was something else also. I do remember getting hammered in Mid April 82 with over a foot. And also Berkshire County got an Oct 10 with over a foot early 80's.

Images

Hey Lemon B, I lived in Otis at the time, just south of the "highest point" sign on the Mass Pike, at about 1500 ft. That one back in the '80's I missed my flight to Chicago. Customer didn't believe me that we had snow, it was just like this years storm with the leaves on the trees, lost power for a few days. Have a good one and lets hope spring is here.

Definitely not much mud, as reported. We are getting a bit droughty http://droughtmonitor.unl.edu/DM_northeast.htm.

Please think more than twice about a fire at our overnight sites. Officially, open burning is not permitted state-wide due to dry conditions. With the leaves not fully out, the duff is very friable and easily ignited by the merest spark

We'd really hate for the AT to be the cause of a wildefire, to say nothing of loosing a shelter. It could be pretty grim for water at some sites as the summer progresses.

Cosmo

Definitely not much mud, as reported. We are getting a bit droughty http://droughtmonitor.unl.edu/DM_northeast.htm.

Please think more than twice about a fire at our overnight sites. Officially, open burning is not permitted state-wide due to dry conditions. With the leaves not fully out, the duff is very friable and easily ignited by the merest spark

We'd really hate for the AT to be the cause of a wildefire, to say nothing of loosing a shelter. It could be pretty grim for water at some sites as the summer progresses.

Cosmo

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmo View Post
    Fortunately, rain is forecast over the next few days. Let it be plentiful!
    The more miles, the merrier!

NH4K: 21/48; N.E.4K: 25/67; NEHH: 28/100; Northeast 4K: 27/115; AT: 124/2191

Images

Small forest fire in Lee, MA yesterday. http://www.berkshireeagle.com/ci_204...ee-forest-fire

Journal Entries
    Images

Until we get a good soaking I'm going to going stoveless in this neck of the woods. Not reason to take unnecessay risks.

Images

We were out camping between Mt Everitt and Wilcox South the last 2 weekends and still a good amount of water running , Very relaxing and not many people out enjoying the fine weather.

Worried about some type of algae growing atop Guilder pond, hope it goes away - it's our favorite swimming hole.

Until we get a good soaking I'm going to going stoveless in this neck of the woods. Not reason to take unnecessay risks.
    Yep,I know I wouldn't wanna be known as the guy that burned down the AT.You'd surly pick up a Permanent trail name that way.Like "The F******Idiot"or "The A-hole Arson"

Anyone know the condition of County Rd in southern VT? Still passable or washed out by hurricane last fall?
    Dogpaw (AKA J. Marshall)

Images

Just did a circle hike around the Hopper at Greylock yesterday. Dry as a bone prior to the rain (plenty of rain, please?), though it was muddy in places starting at about 2800', probably due to the snow from a couple of weeks ago melting. The brooks in the Hopper, especially Money Brook, were running strong, though low for this time of year. Saw a porcupine as I first crossed the brook below the Prospect Trail junction, in the evening.

Logged a gorgeous extra 0.3 on the AT from just east of Notch Road to the Money Brook Trail/Wilbur Clearing junction - what a beautiful stand of firs. Money Brook Trail is the prettiest I've seen in the Reservation, along with the A.T. between Saddle Ball and Greylock.
    The more miles, the merrier!

NH4K: 21/48; N.E.4K: 25/67; NEHH: 28/100; Northeast 4K: 27/115; AT: 124/2191

Journal Entries
    Images

Well here we are almost July. Pretty much hiked all of Mass at least once this season. Don't think I've ever seen the trail in better condition. All the shelters neat and tidy. No real blowdowns to speak of. We are so lucky to have top dollar maintainers in this area. Water levels seem a little bit low but there seems to be enough. Have not as of yet not been able to draw from any of the usual spots. Only place I had to pack out any litter at all was Warner Hill (Orange Peels), Crystal Mt., (Some wrappers) and South Wilcox (A brandy bottle). Excellent looking trail this year.

Well here we are almost July. Pretty much hiked all of Mass at least once this season. Don't think I've ever seen the trail in better condition. All the shelters neat and tidy. No real blowdowns to speak of. We are so lucky to have top dollar maintainers in this area. Water levels seem a little bit low but there seems to be enough. Have not as of yet not been able to draw from any of the usual spots. Only place I had to pack out any litter at all was Warner Hill (Orange Peels), Crystal Mt., (Some wrappers) and South Wilcox (A brandy bottle). Excellent looking trail this year.
    Thanks lemon b. Our folks have been out on their sections pretty regularly, glad to hear it is looking good. Feel free to join us on a project or two:
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...kZKYkpjQ1BxVHc

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++