WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Journal Entries
    Images

Kinda in shock on this end hobbling was even mentioned.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by lemon b View Post
    Kinda in shock on this end hobbling was even mentioned.
    Yeah...I was just gonna let that one go. I'm fairly laid back, but if I ever saw someone on the trail do that to their dog, there would be a problem...
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    Yeah...I was just gonna let that one go. I'm fairly laid back, but if I ever saw someone on the trail do that to their dog, there would be a problem...
    kinda reminds me of the movie,when Capt.Quint throws a rope to Dryfus and says...."tie me a sheap shank" "let me see them hands....ya got money hands" and yes that would be grounds for thee ol' #6 w/a sleep over.

but not today cause nobodys fall in for that crap again...let it die.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    but not today cause nobodys fall in for that crap again...let it die.
    Doh! When it comes to baited comments on this site I bite like a sunfish! Please, please don't say anything about Kent, it will only serve to reel me in!

Images

Wardy has been over 400 miles (2 years old) and after a long day of hiking he is so tired he ussually sleeps the rest of the afternoon and night. So. if I am tarp/bivy camping I just leash him to a tree and he sleeps beside me, and if I am in the tent, I LEASH him to a tree and he sleeps in the vestibule with me. Dont over think it, there are only so many options...and not that I am an animal activist, but hobbling a dog is just plain stupid, I know mine wouldnt go for it and if a horse could reach his feet with his teeth he would go for it either!

Journal Entries

To the OP, if your dog is restless I wouldn't trust him on a leash at night. When you do a simple overnight with a good hike you'll know the answer to that. I always took this with me because I was a hammock hiker. It gives enough room for a sense of freedom but not enough to piss everyone in camp off. If it doesn't describe it, it has a 3ft diameter loop that attatches around a tree and then a 10 foot runner. It helps prevent the dog from getting wrapped up and is IMO the perfect length. http://www.google.com/products/catal...25498674609504#

Quote Originally Posted by Papa D View Post
    Yes - - I have no intention of turning this into another "dogs on the trail" rant and debate - - and my dog, Tallulah feels the same way, I'm sure.

If people KNOW that lots of others dont like UNLEASHED dogs on trails..trails where the PUBLIC has rights to..why do they continue to do this? If the topic causes rants, obviously people dont like it. The woods/trails dont belong to just you(meaning people with unleashed dogs). Others have the right to enjoy it also without a pain in the butt dog afoot. WHY..WHY..is it so hard to leash your dog? Why is it okay at night..BUT FOR SOME REASON YOU FEEL THE DOG IS ALWAYS AN ANGEL DURING THE DAY AND DOESNT NEED TO BE LEASHED????? Just did a hike last weekend in the whites of NH. Guy with two unleashed dogs, comes to a scenic area where other hikers are resting. First thing one of the dogs does is walk over and stick his nose in a hikers bag. Good thing she had not opened her sandwich yet. Owner said nothing to the dog. Little stuff like this is common, and irritating. Yet, no one gets it. Im a huge dog lover..but my dog are always leashed.

Dont know why people feel their dog just cant 'enjoy' the hike if he is leashed. Really? My dogs seem to love it. I have them on a long leash, and rein them in when others approach or other UNLEASHED dogs come running up to them with their owner yellng 'no fluffy..no'. I have been a dog person all my life. I just never realized how selfish dog people are. I hate to say it, but just the negative responses or feelings to this post will show that. All because of just wanting a dog on a leash.

Journal Entries
    Images

Not a dog owner but it sounds like the responsible thing to do is to lease the dog at all times?

http://trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=381272
    Take Time to Watch the Trees Dance with The Wind........Then Join In........

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by wornoutboots View Post
    Not a dog owner but it sounds like the responsible thing to do is to lease the dog at all times?

http://trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=381272
    2.JPG Take a moment,,,, click on the The Dog Forum - read first sticky... please.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

In the past I have looped an attached leash around my arm while camping with my dog. That particular dog was a bit nervous and I wanted to make sure if he tried to move too far I would know about it. Most of my camping has been for dog sport events granted and if worse came to worse I could always crate them in the car.
    ClickChik
    Dog training and caching along the trail in the Swamps of NE Illinois

Journal Entries
    Images

Last edited by Wise Old Owl; 07-08-2012 at 10:36.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Journal Entries
    Images

Highpoint... has been notified - per my PM///Just so I do not do it twice...

Woo

We have only tent camped. Bear sleeps with me in tent. Infact we car camped last summer with both dogs; take their crates for times we go where they can not. First night the little dog slept in crate;Bear slept between me ad wife; second night little on slept near/with wife & Bear slept between us. If I and Bear go solo we will have the two person dome tent and he can sleep with me in that. Both dogs run camp site and do not leave us; we know where the food is; we do take tieouts for both of them just in case.

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Blazer View Post
    Leaches suck!
    I'll take this opportunity to grose everyone out...just came into Hot Springs, went into a privy in a cafe and pulled the pants down, underneath the boxers on my thigh was a 3" something or other that I'm assuming was a leach wiggling around, grabbed him quickly and thew in the trash. Dont know where I got him, do remember stepping into some dark leachy looking water as I stepped onto the road to town.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Drybones View Post
    I'll take this opportunity to grose everyone out...just came into Hot Springs, went into a privy in a cafe and pulled the pants down, underneath the boxers on my thigh was a 3" something or other that I'm assuming was a leach wiggling around, grabbed him quickly and thew in the trash. Dont know where I got him, do remember stepping into some dark leachy looking water as I stepped onto the road to town.
    Drybones, that was an obvious typo, he didn't mean leeches, he meant Lychees!

Journal Entries
    Images

nuts.....................Still looking for a good answer on how to leash a dog when hanging in a hammock - he gets twisted around the tarp stakes.... everytime... anyone?
    Last edited by Wise Old Owl; 01-06-2013 at 21:31.

Woo

Hey; WOO; how many lick does it take to get to the center of a tootsiepop?

Journal Entries
    Images

3 some kids are still trying to discover

Woo

I've only hammock camped a couple of nights with my new trail dog. I used a short mule tape lead a little more than 2', staked it just about under my head and put a pad on the ground directly under my quilt. (not touching it ) Make sure your dog has something to chew on and already peed for the night. Worked well and when she stood up I could feel her touch the underquilt. When it started raining hard, she understood.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++