WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Pillow issues

Problem solved. I got the Exped UL pillow and its perfect

Quote Originally Posted by bflorac View Post
    After trying all sorts of air filled and stuff sack pillows I finally settled on a Thermarest Pillow (Med). At 11.5oz it is a lot of weight but as far as I'm concerned, worth it. It does take a lot of room in the pack and it looks like the Equinox Armidillo could be as good with slightly less weight and less space.
    Did the same but my head sinks down into the pillow and causes my C1-C5 to bend too much.

Images

I think the only true pillow solution is using a hammock. Then ur head is naturally higher than ur body and the flimsy flat pillows are actually enough support. My hammock pillow is much smaller and lighter than my ground pillow.
    I don't think it's a coincidence that Dog is God spelled backwards.

I'm a side sleeper and haven't really found a good solution. I tried a stuff sack with clothes, but it was pretty hard. Woke up with a stiff neck. Also have a backpacking pillow, but it weighs 9 oz and takes up quite a bit of space. I haven't taken it with me because of that, but it does look comfy.

Havent tried this yet but i was thinking about doing the ol' stuff a pillow case with your clothes but with a slight twist...cut out a peice of foam (i like somewhat firm and flat pillows) to go on the top of the clothes inside the pillow case. Giving it a little more body and a uniform /kooshy surface. Plus it could be easily compressed by putting in on the bottom of the pack.

I've been experimenting lately and think I've found a solution that works for me as a side sleeper. I cut a small piece of 2" firm foam, then set my Exped Inflatable pillow on top of that. It gives me enough height to be comfortable and is half the weight of my old Thermarest compressible pillow (and I keep trimming a little here and there to see just how small I can make the foam and still be usable). I originally thought I'd need a pillowcase or straps to keep everything from sliding around, but after several nights on it with my NeoAir Trekker I don't think I'll need it.

Quote Originally Posted by MaggieMaeFlower View Post
    I have a HMG cuben stuff sack pillow and I really like it. I put my down jacket inside and it isn't too firm or too soft. It is reversible so your face is against fleece and it's only 1.2 oz! The price, at $25.00, isn't bad for cuben. I hope this helps someone.
    I recommend the very similar Zpacks Pillow Dry Bag.
    It is 1.65 oz, 5.6 Liters and $25.95

I stuff my quilt into it during the daytime.

http://www.zpacks.com/accessories/dry_bags.shtml
    Follow My Hiking Adventures: http://www.youtube.com/SaraDhooma
    Or if you just like photos: http://instagram.com/scifi_sara

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++