WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Winter gloves with five fingers each, after hiking in freezing rain and extreme cold and removing gloves at camp the fingers, in one glove, pulled inside out and froze. I could not get them pulled back through, even after warming up, the wet glove fingers just knotted up. I did have some light polypro liner gloves and had to hike with one hand in my pocket until I could get somewhere to buy mittens.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by SassyWindsor View Post
    Winter gloves with five fingers each, after hiking in freezing rain and extreme cold and removing gloves at camp the fingers, in one glove, pulled inside out and froze. I could not get them pulled back through, even after warming up, the wet glove fingers just knotted up. I did have some light polypro liner gloves and had to hike with one hand in my pocket until I could get somewhere to buy mittens.
    Absolutely agree. I switched over to mittens with liner gloves a couple years back and the difference was amazing. I used regular gloves one last time while hiking MT. Washington last December and after the case of the screaming barfies that they caused I don't think that I'll ever use regular gloves again for a non-technical hike.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by ChinMusic View Post
    A hammock...
    OUCH - what were you thinking! - Honest I am so kidding.....wheres those damn smileys....

Oh and add - the Magnesium bar and striker that dulls a Swiss Army Knife in seconds....
    Last edited by Wise Old Owl; 04-29-2012 at 22:40.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Images

Steripen! It over-heated and melted in my hands the first time I used it!
    "You do more hiking with your head than your feet!" Emma "Grandma" Gatewood...HYOY!!!
    http://www.hammockforums.net/?

Forgot this one - Ice fishing gloves that I bought for my winter backpacking trips.

Way too warm and no way to regulate, so they were soaked with sweat after the first day and still wet the next morning, would have been frozen f I hadn't had them in my bag with me overnight.

They are great for shoveling the driveway but I don't use them on winter day hikes or winter backpacks.

LOL, the part that you are suppose to put in the water is.......*face palm*
    Nope, made in China.

My first steripen classic was barely sorta water resistant at the water sensor and got messed up to think that it was in the water at all times. The one Hydro-Photon replaced it with wasn't water resistant at all at the water sensor and got messed up to think it wasn't ever in the water.

Journal Entries
    Images

WisperLite.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Quote Originally Posted by Bucho View Post
    Nope, made in China.
    So is the iPhone and a myriad of other products
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

....a computer.

geek

So is the iPhone and a myriad of other products
    And a myriad of such products have been recalled. It's been well documented that there are problems associated with production in China, some companies manage to keep a handle on it with strict oversight and stringent quality control. Whereas Hydro-Photon has spent years with their 40 micron pre-filter labelled 4 micron.

Quote Originally Posted by pervy_sage View Post
    The MSR Dragonfly multi-fuel stove. Sounds like a jet engine. I was actually embarrassed by the noise it made first time I lit it up at a campground. The complexity of the device and the ease of breaking key components (made of plastic) did not warrant the $100 price tag. It sits in the basement, still broken, collecting dust.

I have since grown wiser and have fallen in love with the simplicity, cost effectiveness and quiet burning of a pop can alcohol stove. I may try the canister stoves others here tout so much, but for now alcohol serves my needs.
    I have a Dragonfly, and have used it for years. Don't carry it on summer backpacking trips much anymore, but it's a blast furnace for melting snow in the winter, and I use it when my wife and I bike tour every summer. On those rare occasions when we can't find any camp gas for it (it gets harder and harder to find every year) we can just pull up to a gas station and fill up with unleaded.
    ~~
    Allen "Monkeywrench" Freeman
    NOBO 3-18-09 - 9-27-09
    blog.allenf.com
    [email protected]
    www.allenf.com

odd that when a "Made in China" product is recalled it is because it's Made in China but when an American (or Aussie...) product is, it has nothing to do with the country of origin.
    Franco

85% of the "china made" crap, I've taken a roll of the dice with.

Quote Originally Posted by Franco View Post
    odd that when a "Made in China" product is recalled it is because it's Made in China but when an American (or Aussie...) product is, it has nothing to do with the country of origin.
    Franco
    Not that odd, when you look at a list of the recalled products and 98% of them come from China. Unfortunately the other argument could be they do make a larger portion of consumable products therefor they will have more recalls???

Great thread!
    Sounds like we have the makings of a Cyber Swap Meet! Rocketsocks will collect, pack, and mail out all the offending goods to their proud new owners. Free of charge, naturally.
    Let's see...what do I have?
    I have...ah, there it is....**drum roll** For canoe camping, I One triangular folding stool that seats NO ONE comfortably! The seat is only about 9" square. Feels awkward to women, guys look at it askance, dumps you unceremoniously with no regard to gender if you shift position.
    What am I bid?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Train Wreck View Post
    Great thread!
    Sounds like we have the makings of a Cyber Swap Meet! Rocketsocks will collect, pack, and mail out all the offending goods to their proud new owners. Free of charge, naturally.
    Let's see...what do I have?
    I have...ah, there it is....**drum roll** For canoe camping, I One triangular folding stool that seats NO ONE comfortably! The seat is only about 9" square. Feels awkward to women, guys look at it askance, dumps you unceremoniously with no regard to gender if you shift position.
    What am I bid?
    I feel I need pics of an unceremonious dumping before I can commit....
    The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new discoveries, is not "Eureka!" but "That's funny..." Isaac Asimov

Veni, Vidi, Velcro. I came, I saw, I stuck around.

Quote Originally Posted by Buffalo Skipper View Post
    I feel I need pics of an unceremonious dumping before I can commit....
    pis always come out blurry because photographer was LHAO at the time.

Eno slap straps.....nuff said.

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    I guess the most foolish thing I ever bought was a snake bite kit,the yellow one with the plundger.
    Mine was the greenish-grey suction cup thingie. Carried it for years and never bitten so I guess it worked!

Actually only even saw two-three rattlesnakes during the time I carried the kit. Dozens afterward. My attitude changed. They were there first. I am a visitor into their home and try to be an inoffensive guest.

Quote Originally Posted by flemdawg1 View Post
    Sigg water bottles, nearly as heavy as a Nalgene, but with a tiny opening and as an added bonus metallic taste in your water.

Magnesium fire starter, a 2 oz rock in your pack when you have a working lighter.

Candle lantern, another useless purchase.
    Hey, I use my candle lanterns at home on the rare occasion we lose electricity.

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++