WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Questions on 3 shelter sin TN

We are planning on staying in 3 shelters on our trip in 2 weeks: Laurel Fork, Watauga Lake and Vandeveter.

Has anyone been through these recently? Any info would be appreciated

Registered User Tennessee Viking's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Whats your starting/ending points, and why stay at shelters that close to another?
    ''Tennessee Viking'
    Mountains to Sea Trail Hiker & Maintainer
    Former TEHCC (AT) Maintainer

AT 2012

I know, small minded comment, but I just can't help but wonder what 3 shelter sin would look like...
    Lazarus

Images

If you happen to stay at Vanderventer (the nicest of the three plus a fantastic view) take water with you. It is a long trip to the water source!
    I love the smell of esbit in the morning!

Images

Watauga Lake Shelter is nice, I had just started my section hike at the lake so I only stopped for a photo. I stayed at Vandeveter and the view from behind the shelter is one of the nicest I have seen from a shelter but the water source is a long, long way down a ridge. I did not check out Laurel Fork but I hear it may be on the "chopping block".

Registered User SawnieRobertson's Avatar
    Journal Entries

Hike north to south.--Kinnickinic
    You never know just what you can do until you realize you absolutely have to do it.
    --Salaun

Laurel fork shelter is a bit decrepit, but that's no reason not to stay there. Main problem is that it's in a popular area; main symptom is trash. If you come from the south, the AT will turn left & down where the shelter's blue blaze goes straight. As you descend to the falls you'll be thinking how terrible the ascent will be. In fact, however, you don't have to go back up those stairs. Instead, after viewing the falls, continue nobo on the AT & you'll have another easier shot at the shelter trail where the AT tees.

I should also note that there are nice campsites along the creek past (nobo) the shelter, and there is tent space near the Dennis cove road crossing above the falls. Thus if you're tenting, you may be wise to skip the shelter.

Sobo is recommended, as noted two posts above, for the climb to pond flats is more gradual that way.

Quote Originally Posted by BabySue View Post
    I should also note that there are nice campsites along the creek past (nobo) the shelter, and there is tent space near the Dennis cove road crossing above the falls. Thus if you're tenting, you may be wise to skip the shelter.
    Thanks for that info, I am looking forward to tenting in that area. Which tent site do you prefer, along the creek or above the falls?

Images

there is nothing luxurious about any of these shelters - - if you hike about 1/8 - 1/4 mile north of the Watauga Lake Shelter, there is a very faint trail down a steep bank to the right - I think it is next to a big pine - scramble a bit and make it up if you need to, but you can get to a cool little swimming cove on the lake from here - perfectly acceptable skinny dip spot here.

Dave,
    When I say there's tent sites above the falls, I mean close to Dennis Cove Road, hence a mile above the falls. That area is also by the creek. It's used by people who are doing little or no hiking. Thus I'd prefer below the falls. At the pace where the trail leaves the creek and ascends somewhat steeply (thinking sobo here) there are a few sites near. One is right on the trail; another is a bit down the old trail (not hard to find) which was rerouted to avoid water in rainy years.
    Enjoy!

++ New Posts ++