WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default A Couple of Security Tips For Hikers.

For debit or credit cards: Do Not sign the rear of any card, write in "Ask For I.D." instead.

For GPS: Never place your home address or coordinates in one. Instead use a nearby intersection or landmark instead. Similar tactics should be used with mobile phones, disguised numbers/names and/or access codes.

Carry a weapon for personal safety, after you have become knowledgeable and proficient with said weapon.

When was the last time anyone ever asked to see your ID to use a debit or credit card? I haven't signed the back of a card for over 10 years, and I can count on one hand how many times I've been asked to see ID. I used to write "ask for ID" on the cards but don't anymore because nobody ever even looks at the back of the card.

As far as GPS goes...if your phone is GPS equipped then the GPS location of every photo you take is encoded into the picture file. If you post them on the internet (facebook or elsewhere) then anybody with the knowhow can learn the GPS location of every photo you post. Might be useful for someone who wanted to figure out where you live and work, where your kids live or go to school, where your friends live, etc. Scary to think of all the ways this could be abused. There is software available that will strip the GPS information from your photo files, and I believe photobucket.com has a feature that allows you to do this.

I have never heard of this,the "ask for identification"great idea.I have been asked for my card and then they look at the back,but not that often,and when I am,I thank the person for asking me.

"Carry a weapon for personal safety, after you have become knowledgeable and proficient with said weapon"
    Bad advice unless that weapon is something other than a gun
    US gun laws vary widely But there are several states on the AT where being caught w/a gun and not being able to meet that states requirments for having that gun will keep you off trail for a long time
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_law...state)#Vermont
    Furthermore while new laws allow ppl to carry a gun into a National Park under some very specific conditions ; it is still illegal to fire a gun in any NP and to bring a gun into any Federal building

OOOPS !!
    I'm gettng tired
    This >"Bad advice unless that weapon is something other than a gun"
    Should have read "Bad advice if that weapon is a gun

Quote Originally Posted by oldbear View Post
    "Carry a weapon for personal safety, after you have become knowledgeable and proficient with said weapon"
    Bad advice unless that weapon is something other than a gun
    US gun laws vary widely But there are several states on the AT where being caught w/a gun and not being able to meet that states requirments for having that gun will keep you off trail for a long time
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_law...state)#Vermont
    Furthermore while new laws allow ppl to carry a gun into a National Park under some very specific conditions ; it is still illegal to fire a gun in any NP and to bring a gun into any Federal building
    Just recieved my monthly copy of "Freedom First" an NRA mag,haven't read yet,but I believe that very law is in the House right now,I hope they change that.Tired of the crooks being the only ones carrying.On a different note,I've been told that all retired military are allowed to conseal carry...any truth there.....anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    Just recieved my monthly copy of "Freedom First" an NRA mag,haven't read yet,but I believe that very law is in the House right now,I hope they change that.Tired of the crooks being the only ones carrying.On a different note,I've been told that all retired military are allowed to conseal carry...any truth there.....anyone?
    I recently obtained my concealed carry license in Florida. Honorably discharged military are exempt from the training class (something like 4 hours). The only carry exemption I saw was for currently certified law enforcement officers. However, exemption may not be reciprocal with other states the way the concealed license is.

Pepper spray is usualy effective. It is also non-lethal for those times a mistake is made.

Incidentally, when I realized there are more people with signs that read 'hungry' than ther are people attacking me, I decided to carry more meals to give away than bullets to shoot.

It's easy to disable geotagging on your phone pics. Most of us hikers who are concerned about battery life have already disabled location services.
    GA 80-Miler

Journal Entries

Just because it says bear spray doesn't mean that is it's only use. . When they get all of our guns the criminal element will be the only ones carrying.
    I start out the Day with nothing and by the end of the Day I still have most of it.

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post

No.
    While in some jurisdictions that have discretionary licensing (a 'may issue' state like Mass) vs mandatory licensing (shall issue states) the licensing officer may use past military experience either for or against you in determining your 'suitablility' to have a concealed carry license, there is no law that gives retired military special rights to carry concealed in any state. There is a law in regards to retired law enforcement though some states like to ignore it.
    https://tinyurl.com/MyFDresults

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

Images

Quote Originally Posted by mgeiger View Post
    It's easy to disable geotagging on your phone pics. Most of us hikers who are concerned about battery life have already disabled location services.
    +1
    On my Droid X, GPS is the #1 battery killer

HR 218 was inacted in 2004 for all retired Police Officers to carry concealed in all 50 states as long as they carry proper ID and have a valid license where they live.

Journal Entries
    Images

Don't bother with the extra weight.
    Just go into Jeff Coopers condition yellow quicker.

Quote Originally Posted by perrymk View Post
    I recently obtained my concealed carry license in Florida. Honorably discharged military are exempt from the training class (something like 4 hours). The only carry exemption I saw was for currently certified law enforcement officers. However, exemption may not be reciprocal with other states the way the concealed license is.

Pepper spray is usually effective. It is also non-lethal for those times a mistake is made.

Incidentally, when I realized there are more people with signs that read 'hungry' than ther are people attacking me, I decided to carry more meals to give away than bullets to shoot.
    Ya,Not sure why I think this or where or where the notion came from,perhaps I'm confusing it with the not having to take the prep class for CC.I'm not military,and a CC permit in NJ is pretty difficult to get depending where you live,me pappy in law was told from a police chief that"You don't need it"meaning denied,I have never applied,nor is it pressing for me,the home front on the other hand.....lets just say if your a silhouette in my bed room,and and over 5'-10'' at 2:00 AM,you wont be getting trail magic.

Quote Originally Posted by Danl View Post
    Just because it says bear spray doesn't mean that is it's only use. . When they get all of our guns the criminal element will be the only ones carrying.
    Danl,I hear ya.Unfortunately for some who go this route,it seems they will be put through a lot of unnecessary BS,and that the offending also has rights,and the victim will have to prove it court there actions were warranted,Shame,but still alive,so I say flip the top/hold down the button/and spray away!

Quote Originally Posted by SassyWindsor View Post
    For debit or credit cards: Do Not sign the rear of any card, write in "Ask For I.D." instead.

For GPS: Never place your home address or coordinates in one. Instead use a nearby intersection or landmark instead. Similar tactics should be used with mobile phones, disguised numbers/names and/or access codes.

Carry a weapon for personal safety, after you have become knowledgeable and proficient with said weapon.
    I never sign the back, but that's a good idea to write in, "Ask For I.D." Everytime I use it, the cashier always says, "You know if you sign here, you won't have to show your I.D." I got sick of explaining why I don't like that, but what pisses me off is that they just look at me like I'm an idiot.

The only time I was ever asked for ID when using my credit card was when I was in Las Vegas and the back of my card was signed. I know that when I worked in retail if you didn't have the back of your card signed we wouldn't accept the card you had to use another one.

No one has ever prevented misuse of a credit card by "ask for I.D."

No one has ever stalked anyone on the AT using GPS.

No hiker has ever used a gun on the AT to prevent anything.
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

All my cards are signed. Nevertheless, I was asked to show my ID when using a credit card just the other day. I can't say they compared signatures, but they did confirm the name on the card. That happens fairly often. The last time I was in Europe, every cashier did a thorough comparison of my signature on the card and on the charge slip. I felt like I was taking a final exam in High School (what if I slipped and messed up my signature? I'm going to jail!). Also our post office has a sign that says all cards must be signed and that "show ID" is not acceptable.

What I do is take a credit card and an ATM card. But I never take a debit card. My ATM card does not have a credit card logo on it so it can only be used to get cash from an ATM (linked to my checking account). I also have a PIN for my credit card so I can use an ATM to get cash with my credit card. Also, I keep the cards in different places (one in the bag, one in the pocket) so if something is stolen, there is a chance I won't lose both.

The reason I don't want a debit card is that someone can clean out my bank account by using it as a credit card, but with an ATM card, it can't be used without a PIN. You have more protection against fraudulent purchases with a credit card. There's no risk there if you report it right away. Since these are linked to two accounts, if one is lost/stolen, I can shut down one account and still have a source of funds using the other card. I only use the credit card for ATM cash withdrawals as an emergency backup, as the fees for cash advances on credit cards are pretty steep. Also, I will write all my account numbers and the 800 numbers to call to report lost/stolen cards on a laminated card and keep a couple of copies in different locations, so I have all the info in case I need to report a lost/stolen card. The numbers are coded/scrambled in a way that only I know so no one can get my card numbers from it.

I have a family member that lives in atlanta and was robbed at gun point in her garadge as she pulled in through an electric door opener,the crook was never caught,and got away with her bank card and pin that she gave.She was alone,and this could have gone very,very wrong in so very many ways,all the crook wanted was the money....take it it ain't worth your life.Pretty sure she's packin now.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++