WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: bug stuff

Default bug stuff

What the best brand of insect repellent. 100% deet is fine as long as the stuff works good. Tks.
    Life begins at the end of your comfort zone!

Ultrathon lotion. Anything above 33% deet is useless. Spray your clothes with Sawyers Permethrin

I honestly have never even thought about it Tramp,I guess I just buy what is available at the time of purchase.Currently it's the brite orange bottle,uncle bens maybe,don't really remember,Deet is Deet,No?I use to swear by cutter deep woods off,not sure why I switched,maybe it was the brite orange marketing that got me,Hm......

3M Ultrathon is the way to go, it is designed to sit on your skin and not absorb like 100% deet. I find if applied in the morning its good all day and has less of a solvent effect. When it first came out it was not available for the public as the military bought out the inventory for the first gulf war. I find it in surplus stores on occasion in olive drab. If it sits for a very long time it may have to be shaken as eventually the deet can seperate from the carrier.

DEET is the best way to go. Confirmed by a recent study by the New England Journal of Medicine which concluded:

"Currently available non-DEET repellents do not provide protection for durations similar to those of DEET-based repellents and cannot be relied on to provide prolonged protection in environments where mosquito-borne diseases are a substantial threat."

Read the entire article here:

http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa011699
    Last edited by Spokes; 06-14-2012 at 16:54.

Just Hitting My Stride!

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyPack627 View Post
    Ultrathon lotion. Anything above 33% deet is useless. Spray your clothes with Sawyers Permethrin
    +1 - Remember: DEET over sunscreen, not sunscreen over DEET.

Images

I use 100% DEET. I don't put it on my skin. It gets applied in dots over parts of my clothing where mosquitoes try to bite through, and also at the end of my sleeves and collar.

Journal Entries
    Images

Folks Ultrathon is time released micro encapsulated Deet... and yes 33% is fine 100 is overkill good memory Heavy Pack this was in a seperate thread last month.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Yep, you don't really need 100% but when your getting eaten alive you wish you had it.

The results of the study I cited earlier:

"DEET-based products provided complete protection for the longest duration. Higher concentrations of DEET provided longer-lasting protection. A formulation containing 23.8 percent DEET had a mean complete-protection time of 301.5 minutes. A soybean-oil–based repellent protected against mosquito bites for an average of 94.6 minutes. The IR3535-based repellent protected for an average of 22.9 minutes. All other botanical repellents we tested provided protection for a mean duration of less than 20 minutes. Repellent-impregnated wristbands offered no protection."
    Last edited by Spokes; 06-14-2012 at 21:52.

Can a person wear flea and tick collars,I'm serious,just curious,never really thought about it before.

Journal Entries
    Images

Uhh socially, well uhhh if they look like this.....
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

++ New Posts ++