WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Can't sleep with the ringing in the ears,whoo's got it"T"

Went to the doctors today,have had this ringing for years.He didn't have to tell me it was "Tinitis",my ears already knew.So what have you done about this? Did the audio screening thing,and now he wants some blood and maybe a MRI,sure is hard to sleep in the woods when all I hear is Riiiiiiiiiinging,any advice?

GA-ME 2011
    Images

I've had it for years, hazard of the job. Damn sirens.
    Some say vitamin B12 or B complex help. I just deal with it.
    As far as I know there's no treatment.
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

I was a professional diver for 3 years and did about 1k dives. Busted my left eardrum, and mine never stops ringing. I just try to ignore it, sometimes it's easier than others. If I'm at something loud like a concert or something, it is worse for a day or two and harder to ignore. I've had it since about 1988, so I guess I'm just used to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Don H View Post
    I've had it for years, hazard of the job. Damn sirens.
    Some say vitamin B12 or B complex help. I just deal with it.
    As far as I know there's no treatment.
    That is what the doctor said,the treatment is to somehow turn it off mentally with the help of something were supposed to talk about next time......thnks for the heads up and vit suggestions.

Hi...

Yes, I've got it too...from standing watches in shipboard engine rooms...two 1,200 HP diesels, plus a smaller one to run a generator. Unbelievable noise...!!

It's not yet to the point that it's that distracting...so whatever I happen to be involved in serves as a distraction from the tinnitis.

I've yet to hear of a "cure" for it.

What'd you say????

yeah, I have it too, too many concerts in the 70's I guess. I have not heard ( no pun intended )of a fix or cure.

Quote Originally Posted by Pathfinder1 View Post
    Hi...

Yes, I've got it too...from standing watches in shipboard engine rooms...two 1,200 HP diesels, plus a smaller one to run a generator. Unbelievable noise...!!

It's not yet to the point that it's that distracting...so whatever I happen to be involved in serves as a distraction from the tinnitus.

I've yet to hear of a "cure" for it.
    Thanks for the feed back,I too have been around power tools,
    Siemens Nat gas steam turbine,and as a part time pyrotechnic for about 10 years,though I stopped doing that about 11 years ago.It's been a very slow definite progression and I should have sought help much sooner,but short of stopping the offending noise,it seems as though that would not have helped.

rocketsocks, if your doc is on to something, let us know. Have had it since I was a kid, just deal with it. Loud noises, esp sudden or high-pitched, makes it worse, duh. (like a smoke detector whining or a rifle shot).

I have that problem from target practicing as a kid with no hearing protection. The dumb things we did when we were young and indistructable.

--louis

what i do for mine is use something that cancels the ringing with white noise. that works for me. if you have ever used noisecancelling headsets,think along those lines.

Images

Yeah, mine is ringing away right now as I write this. Deaf enough in my left ear that it's a problem. Too much shooting and blowing things up as a youngster. Not enough hearing protection. (Hey! You kids! Put in your earplugs.)

I've heard of some recent success with treatments that teach the brain to ignore it. Don't know anything beyond that.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Images

After a career riding military aircraft(not to mention rock and roll and loud motorcycles), I got it bad. Nothing really seems to fix it. I've found its easier to sleep indoors with some white noise in the backround. On the trail, earplugs seem to help me sleep. If you find a cure, please let me know!!!
    Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair. -Kahlil Gibran

Quote Originally Posted by Hoop View Post
    rocketsocks, if your doc is on to something, let us know. Have had it since I was a kid, just deal with it. Loud noises, esp sudden or high-pitched, makes it worse, duh. (like a smoke detector whining or a rifle shot).
    You nailed it,that is exactly the analogy I used,the rifle shot,I sure will post any treatment and or results.

Quote Originally Posted by waasj View Post
    What'd you say????

yeah, I have it too, too many concerts in the 70's I guess. I have not heard ( no pun intended )of a fix or cure.
    Ah yes,frontish row left center,Phil Lesh dropping bombs!thanks for a real good time.WALSTIB

Quote Originally Posted by louisb View Post
    I have that problem from target practicing as a kid with no hearing protection. The dumb things we did when we were young and indistructable.

--louis
    Ya mean like sticking your head in a speaker cabinet...If I only new(cared) then.......

Quote Originally Posted by beachbunny View Post
    what i do for mine is use something that cancels the ringing with white noise. that works for me. if you have ever used noisecancelling headsets,think along those lines.
    I have not,sounds good...pun intended.

Quote Originally Posted by bigcranky View Post
    Yeah, mine is ringing away right now as I write this. Deaf enough in my left ear that it's a problem. Too much shooting and blowing things up as a youngster. Not enough hearing protection. (Hey! You kids! Put in your earplugs.)

I've heard of some recent success with treatments that teach the brain to ignore it. Don't know anything beyond that.
    I kinda had a feeling I was not the only one with this problem,fireworks and guns seem to be more prevalent years ago when we all were growing up.

Quote Originally Posted by chiefduffy View Post
    After a career riding military aircraft(not to mention rock and roll and loud motorcycles), I got it bad. Nothing really seems to fix it. I've found its easier to sleep indoors with some white noise in the backround. On the trail, earplugs seem to help me sleep. If you find a cure, please let me know!!!
    Will do.It doesn't sound too promising though.Each night I fall asleep to a documentary or some other low mono type talking television show....got to.

thank you all,very productive thread.goin for a walk...back later.Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Whack-a-mole View Post
    I was a professional diver for 3 years and did about 1k dives. Busted my left eardrum, and mine never stops ringing. I just try to ignore it, sometimes it's easier than others. If I'm at something loud like a concert or something, it is worse for a day or two and harder to ignore. I've had it since about 1988, so I guess I'm just used to it.
    Well that's where I hope to be by summers end...wishful thinking.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++