WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

:banana Making Reservations for Motel/Hotel/AMC Huts

One more question ... will probably have another ... at what point in your hike do you call ahead to make a reservation for a Bunk or a Room? Does one call, say, the Church of the Mountain to reserve Hostel Space? Or does one call the City Borough Hall in Palmerton? Does one make an online reservation for Crawford Notch Highland Center Joe Dodge Lodge and Mohican Center and if so, how soon before Expected Date of Arrival? If one decides to stay as a 'guest' at one of the AMC Huts, how soon should a reservation be made?

Thank you for your help ...

How do you 'guys' who just 'go hike' do it? I'm amazed that anyone just picks up and doesn't spend too much time 'figgerin' out' a schedule. Which will probably not be met.

Coosa
    My blog, dedicated to my Dad: Chasing the Trail
    Proverbs 4:26 Give careful thought to the paths for your feet and be steadfast in all your ways.
    Hike Your Own Hike

I knew I'd think of something else ... say you make the reservation ... what a week or two or a month ahead, and then something happens and you can't keep the reservation ... Mom dies or you get injured ... then what?

Thanks again, Coosa

Most people just show up and see what's available. If its full you move on. No biggie.

Long term section hiker Stalking Tortoise's Avatar

There are also a few places where there is a hike-in rate and a reservation rate. You'll pay more in those places if you make a reservation in advance.

As far as reneging on a reservation, it's just common courtesy to call and let them know you won't be there. Case in point - I was at Wood's Hole Hostel a couple of weeks ago. A hiker called to request a bed for Friday night. The proprietors made enough food for dinner to cover that hiker but they didn't show up.
    Completed Sections: Springer to Clingmans Dome, & Max Patch to Gorham NH

There is no way to reserve space in an AMC hut for thruhikers unless they use the normal system. Unfortunately for thruhikers, the huts are booked up full for most weekends during the summer and as the summer progresses they fill up during the week. There are usually some last miunute spots that open up a few days in advance but just as many folks are no shows and dont give any notice. There are a lot of folks who registered and paid for reservations that dont show up at the hut so the crew can then manage the spaces for thruhikers. Generally certain huts have higher no show rates than others as the terrain on either side of the hut may be too difficult for weekenders unaccustomed to the terrain. There is typically a higher no show rate when the weather is nasty.

if you are thru hiking.. forget about reserving at AMC huts. You'd need to reserve months in advance and if you don't show on date X there goes you $. Plus they cost a LOT of money. The typical solution for AT thru hikers is to arrive late in day (say 4-5 pm) and ask so very very nicely if you can do a work for stay. This means that you can sleep on a table, eat food with the croo in exchange for which you do a half hour of chores.. usually sweeping the hut, helping out however needed. It may delay your start the next day till 8:30 am or so. If you arrive mid day the croo will likely tell you to move on.

By and large.. you simply show up at a facility and hope there's space. If there isn't you move on. Expect to pay what the general public pays. So carry cash and also credit card.

Don't know if they ever did anything to improve the situation, but the couple times I went through they would open up reservations about six months ahead of the date and it would fill up in about five months twenty-nine days before the date. Usually, there were a few no-shows, but you had to wait until dark before they would release the beds. In bad weather, you could get a bed, but in good weather, forget it. You're pretty much stuck with work to stay, which means a hard floor or table and having to get up and fully packed before the guest came in for breakfast, plus you have to work a bit. If you show up with an attitude, this means privy duty, if you try to make yourself likable, dishwasher or sweeping out the barracks. The only more or less good news is that the huts near the top of mountains usually won't turn you out because they have been accused of killing people that way in the past. For the others, there is usually a place to pitch a tent nearby so it isn't as big a problem.

But you do encourage calling the Motels/Hotels? Or just show up and call for a shuttle at the Trailhead?

The key to a long distance hike seems to be Flexibility. Guess I better start exercising.

Thanks for your insight.
    Coosa

About the only place you have to call in advance is The Hike INN near fontana, Jeff and Nancy have a small motel that will fill up fast. regular motels and hotels will usually have rooms. I even walked in at one of the Shenandoah hotels and got a room on a rainy day. If you have tent you can make it through the whites without staying at a hut. I did.

Well, I'm hiking the Northern Half of the AT and I imagine there won't be too many people trying to get the same rooms as I ... I used to live in North Georgia and am familiar with the 'hordes' of hikers coming through there. Should have thinned out appreciably by the time I get on the Trail.

Thank you as usual for all your insight and help. Now I'm working on my Mail Drops.

Coosa

Quote Originally Posted by Bronk View Post
    Most people just show up and see what's available. If its full you move on. No biggie.
    This is it. Get to town, if you don't feel like walking all over, pull out your companion/guidebook and call around.

Thanks ... I'm stressing out about costs right now. Someone did post this article ... which I MISSED at 2 AM last night.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/content.php?533

++ New Posts ++