WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Images

I carry a 15OZ PVC flute (in d minor) for my own entertainment. The first few days out I don't get it out, but when I get my trail legs, It's great fun. And many at the shelters have commented on how nice it was to listen to.
    Sadly, it is no longer made as the guy what builds them has gotten very ill.

I also have one made by a friend in A, so may have a source if any are interested. It only weighs 13 Oz.

Images

The guy carring the cat is "Hot Dawg" the cat is "Stubby cat" When I last saw them at Erwin, she had walked about 5 feet of the AT she rode the rest of the way on Dawgs pack.

He tell that when he first brought the pack home he leaned it against the wall, she climbed on top as if to say "well lets go" has been there ever sence.

A note about Stubby, she is a terror to the shelter mice, but I have heard from people who were in the shelters after Dawg & Stubbs, the Mice were unbearable. Revenge? Makes you wonder don't it.

In 2002, as a favor to my friend Jester, I carried this extraordinarily hideous stuffed rabbit from the Nantahala Outdoor Center to Killington, Vermont. Dunno fer sure, but I think that's around 1400 miles. The two of us took turns carrying this thing from Monson to Katahdin this year, thus completing over 2200 A. T. miles for the creature. We intend to send the rabbit's summit shot from 9 october to Hugh Hefner......after all, bunnies are everywhere. Jester thinks this will absolutely get us invited to the mansion.

Sometimes I wonder about Jester.

Jack, although we have never met in person, I was at NOC in April of 2002 after spending 4 days backpacking in the Joyce Kilmer Slickrock Wilderness. My companions & I ate breakfast at the great restaurant there. While sitting in my car, I noticed you photographing said stuffed rabbitt with a lit cigarette that you placed in its bunny lips. Twas one of the strangest things I ever saw. Frankly, I thought you were wacked.

How did I recognize you? From photos on hobocentral.

Images

Default carrying things

I carried 20 extra pounds in my stomach for the first couple weeks. THought is would make it more of a challenge
    Anything's within walking distance if you've got the time.
    GA-ME 03, LT 04/06, PCT 07'

Default Strange, but true....

TJNED--

Then you probably also saw me offer the bunny a drink.

Sorry you had to witness this, but it at least proves I didn't make the whole story up.

Default Re: Strange, but true....

Originally posted by Jack Tarlin
    Then you probably also saw me offer the bunny a drink.
    It was still morning. Do bunnies drink before lunch? In dry towns?

Default Intemperant rabbits, etc.

THIS bunny does....you shoulda seen him at the Gathering; then again, maybe it's best you didn't. I gather not everyone approves.

Oh, and the next time you see me on the Trail, by all means take a minute and say hello!

Images

I have seen the tuba, scuba gear, chairs of various assortments, even good friends with the bunny. The bunny actually had sex on top of my tent with another furry friend in 2002 at trail days. I missed him finishing the trail this year however I heard he was in good company up until the Gathering - what happened to him since? The funniest day I had in a long time on the trail was in a diner somewhere down south in 2000. I happened to be in Balt Jacks company as well as many others. When he went to pay his bill. Instead of carrying a ziplock or other light weight storage ditties, he pulled out a Altoids containers - the metal one. Well instead of $ and ID inside He had grabbed the wrong "metal" box which was fill with of course un-used condoms. The unreal thing is that he carried more than 2 meatal boxes in that monster pack.
    Blister "Bitchen" Sister

Originally posted by Blister
    Well instead of $ and ID inside He had grabbed the wrong "metal" box which was fill with of course un-used condoms.
    "Of course" - ouch! That was a shot across the proverbial bow. I don't know about you Jack, but I wouldn't take that one sitting down.

No comment. Blister doubtless has me confused with another hiker.

Journal Entries
    Images

Default Backpacker guitar & other weird thangs

Yo Peaks:

While my 2002 hike partner: "TeePee" & i were on the Ga-NC section of the A.T. a hiker calling himself: "the Mad Musician" was toting a Martin Backpacker guitar (& a gallon of whiskey).

the guitar sounded nice... tone was a bit thin (no pun intended) but nice enuff to strum out some tunes in a pinch.

to add to the weird things taken on the trail...how about a complete boyscout approved coleman 3 burner stove along with a boyuscout 5 lb hatchet????????????????

wasnt me....but, i witnessed this!

jaybird
    www.trailjournals.com/Jaybird
    see ya'll UP the trail!

"Jaybird"

GA-ME...
    "on-the-20-year-plan"

www.trailjournals.com/Jaybird2013

:banana

I hope Will does not find this thread. That bunny needs to REPENT.

Will is now preaching on Trailjournals. He saved us from Jack here, he's now saving those good people.

ba chomp, ba chewy chewy chomp chomp's Avatar

Default Funnel

I carried a beer funnel for about 500 miles along the AT back in 99. I had picked it up at a friends place in Baltimore over the Fourth of July weekend. Anyway, we figured that at some point we might funnel a beer. I also figured that if I came to a slow-running water source, I could "pipe" the source with the hose, so it had TWO USES! Well, we never did funnel a beer, and the first time I came to a dry water source, I found that "piping" a spring is a lot harder than I tought. The funnel got mailed home at the next PO.

Default scuba gear on AT??

What the heck? I can only imagine why someone would carry scuba gear. If anyone has anymore info I would really like to hear. I'm a Divemaster myself, can't see the connection to the trail.

Default Pushing Daisies...

I don't think a SMALL umbrella is neccessarily a dumb thing to take along while hiking. I have a tiny (under 8 oz., about 10" long, 2.5" wide) umbrella I bought in a drug store that I took along on my last overnight hike. When you are at a shelter, and it is raining any amount at all, it sure is more convenient and effective than a poncho at keeping the rain off while you take a leak, get water, etc.
    ============================================

Haiku:

"A thousand years from now, scientists will discover a strange phenomenon: there are rocks that clearly originated from thousands of miles south on top of Katahdin. Maybe they'll know about the almost religious ritual of bearing a rock on a long pilgrimage, or maybe they'll come up with some other explanation...."

There is a common natural phenomenon well-known by geologists that results in exactly this type of situation. Glaciers erode away rocks from one location, often leaving them in another far, far away (sometimes at considerable elevation), where those rocks could not possibly have originated. These rocks are called glacial erratics.

Kilted Thru-Hiker AT'04, PCT'06, CDT'07 Haiku's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by minnesotasmith
    Haiku:

"A thousand years from now, scientists will discover a strange phenomenon: there are rocks that clearly originated from thousands of miles south on top of Katahdin. Maybe they'll know about the almost religious ritual of bearing a rock on a long pilgrimage, or maybe they'll come up with some other explanation...."

There is a common natural phenomenon well-known by geologists that results in exactly this type of situation. Glaciers erode away rocks from one location, often leaving them in another far, far away (sometimes at considerable elevation), where those rocks could not possibly have originated. These rocks are called glacial erratics.
    The next time you find glacial rocks migrating from the south to the north (in the Northern Hemisphere), let me know. Never mind from below the extent of the furthest glaciers.

Haiku.

Images

Default lazer pistol

i carried a toy lazer pistol in 2001,my yougest son issued it to me
    in caSE SOMETHING TRIED TO GET ME,HE FELT BETTER,PLUS I HAD A LOT OF FUN WITH IT. neo

http://www.facebook.com/themissjanet Miss Janet's Avatar
    Images

Default Fun Stuff

I have seen some interesting things over the years...

There was a guy that carried a huge stuffed gorilla attached to a big staff... the gorilla was green and he danced on the stick...

A young man from Israel had an aluminum and canvas camp chair that he cut a hole in the seat and duck taped the edges of the hole... Yep, made himself a potty chair! And he could sit on it in camp... 2 Uses!

In 1999 a guy lost a bet and had to buy and wear a full Cub Scout uniform... with shorts, kneehigh socks, neck scarf... the whole bit. He wore it for weeks!

I have seen lots of climbing rope, axes, lanterns, bear canisters and such over the years but not so many lately. Web sites like Whiteblaze are educating hikers better and I don't see as many bad choices of gear. Now, if someone is carrying something "weird" they are doing it because they CAN and WANT to!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++