WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Snake bite kit ???

Do you carry a snake bite kit? Is it worth the weight,or a waste of time?I bought one years ago,carried it,but have read that it is a waste of time,and something about the venom
    (if any) is quickly encapsulated,is this T or F ?

Images

Waste of time on the AT.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

The Extractor is the only medically approved snake bite kit now. What I like is that it can be used for bees, wasps, and Mosquito bites as well. I'm taking one.

http://www.amazon.com/Sawyer-B4-Extr.../dp/B000AU9PEC

Images

for snakebites its a waste of time.antivenom is the only real treatment for a venomous bite.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    Do you carry a snake bite kit? Is it worth the weight,or a waste of time?
    Not just a waste, but a total waste on the AT. Now, ... a bona fide kit for mosquitoes and chiggers would make someone a millionaire!!!

RainMan

Last edited by Rain Man; 05-04-2012 at 08:42.
    [I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Thru Hike Dreamer Extraordinaire
    Images

They are not only useless...but can actually exacerbate the problem. Much better off being careful. Use your trekking poles to poke around before you sit down. Snakes only strike out of defense. Making noise (actually the detect vibration) will help run them off before you ever see them.

Don't bring a kit. Rather watch where you put feet and hands, especially when scrambling up or down sun-warmed rocky areas of the trail. If you get bit, dont panic, but plan to take a zero day or two. Not a whole lot more you can do, unless you can get quickly to an ER for antivenin. It would probably help to put bitten arm or leg into a cold stream if one is handy, to slow venom absorption into your system. In the USA, you are more than 20 times more likely to die by lightning than snakebite.
    Find the LIGHT STUFF at QiWiz.net

The lightest cathole trowels, wood burning stoves, windscreens, spatulas,
    cooking options, titanium and aluminum pots, and buck saws on the planet

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Snake bite kits are a waste of money on not just the AT but any trail in North America. They often do more harm than good.

FWIW, the Wildernes Medicine Institute suggests splinting the bitten extremity, not elevating it, do not do any unnecessary exertion, treat for shock (get in your sleeping bag) and then evacuating. They also stress to not use any harmful and unproven treatments. Reading between the lines, that suggests to me snakebite kits.

On the AT, are you no more than five miles from a road (and rarely, if that) with plenty of people coming by. Worse case? Treat yourself, put yourself in a position where you can see people coming and going and you should get help in a very reasonable window of time.

More expanded info:
    http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/gaston/Pests...nakebitetx.htm
    http://www.wildbackpacker.com/wilder...-a-snake-bite/

Rather than a snakebit kit, it is easier, lighter and less expensive to be aware of the surroundings. The PA rocks have some rattlers, but they are easily avoided. (A case to NOT wear an iPod while hiking. )
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

I occasionally carry the extractor, with one cup only. I've never had to use it, but feel it might be particulary useful if stung by a wasp/hornet so when I know such an encounter is likely or likely to be bad, I tend to pack one (known hornet nest near gate, or hiking with a person who is related to a person with a bee allergy). The odds of needing it for a snakebite white hiking on the east coast are pretty slim. Rattlers generally give you some warning, though I have been delayed for 20 minutes while waiting for an angry one to move on. And most copperheads are very mellow, as long as you don't step on them.
    If you hike with an inquistive dog, you might want to take one, and if you're allergic to horse serum you should definitely take one (but that's pretty rare, and you probably wouldn't know it).

Actually, the reason I carry the Extractor is that I am allergic to bee stings. It's not to the point where I have to carry an EpiPen, but with each sting, the allergic reaction gets worse. My sister already carries it.

Images

Absolute total waste of time - Wilderness Medical Associates briefly endorsed this device in the early 2000s but no longer endorses it's use - - it does not provide sufficient suction to pull out venom and may cause additional necrosis - - there of plenty of calm, appropriate things to do in the event of a venomous snakebite (which is EXTREMELY unlikely) - - this device is NOT on the list. Remember that you are MUCH more likely to be struck by lightening - - it would be more apt to carry a steel ground-rod and sledgehammer and ground your tent every night (please don't do this either).

Quote Originally Posted by hikerboy57 View Post
    for snakebites its a waste of time.antivenom is the only real treatment for a venomous bite.
    Hi...

I concur. Am also curious as to just who/what "medically approved" it. Sometimes an excess of vacuum can also do damage.

You're right about the antivenin. Check local hospital pharmacies to see how much (crofab, it's named) they keep in stock, if any. Then ask them how much it costs. Better have the smelling salts handy...!!

About 20% of rattlesnake bites are dry (no venom injected), and about 25% are serious bites, per the Utah Poison
    control Center.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

When I took wilderness first aid through SOLO they said a snake bite kit is not needed.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Journal Entries
    Images

I concur Blissfull is right - stop packing your fears... if you actually do off trail and blaze a coordinate - (most dont) then take a sawyer. Say no to suckky cups and old BS Snake stuff....
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

Quote Originally Posted by WIAPilot View Post
    Actually, the reason I carry the Extractor is that I am allergic to bee stings. It's not to the point where I have to carry an EpiPen, but with each sting, the allergic reaction gets worse. My sister already carries it.
    In that case, the snake bite kit is an even bigger waste, if that's possible. Get an EpiPen before it's too late.

I bought one back in the early 90's and maybe carried it 2 or 3 times on short trips. Haven't bothered since then. Not because I thought it didn't work, but because I realized that I never see snakes. People behind or in front of me will talk about them, but I never see them. On my PCT thru-hike, I saw maybe 6 for the entire trail when most people saw well in double and a few triple digits.

And were I'm from, the only snakes you need to worry about are polite enough to rattle so you know they are around. Though at a thru-hikers pace, they often only get coiled up and start rattling after you have already passed them.

Almost stepped on a 6' rattlesnake this past week approx 10 miles south of port deposit pa. Was sunning about a foot off the trail & didn't see it but heard it when I stepped next to it. Almost crapped my pants. The wife was about 10 yards behind & I tossed a stick at it hoping it would take off, but just made it mad. It coiled up & faced the trail. The wife bushwacked around the other side of the trail. I will be looking into something to take the next time I go on the trail for snakebites, if there is anything out there.

After weighing all the evidence and watching all the films, I'm traveling strictly with the EpiPen.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by fins1838 View Post
    Almost stepped on a 6' rattlesnake ... I will be looking into something to take the next time I go on the trail for snakebites....
    Why? The evidence is that in spite of all you did, you DID NOT get snakebit. If you had, I might understand the logic of looking into a snakebite kit. But your logic is ... backwards.

RainMan

[I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Journal Entries
    Images

I have the pen - I would not use it for Snake Bite.

copied from Backpacker

Q.} Would an EpiPen serve any good purpose in treating a snakebite?

A.} A severe allergic reaction to the bites of
poisonous critters of all shapes and sizes is always possible—in which case, yes, your EpiPen
would most likely reverse the reaction and prevent you from entering anaphylactic shock. But, no, epinephrine will not help—and should not be used—to aid your body in dealing with its reaction to the
venom itself. You want to stay calm when envenomated, and epi does not help
you stay calm. It excites you. To find out the right way to treat a snakebite (and to see other myths dispelled), click here.

Please read this... or take the time for a first aid course
    http://www.coastalplainsreptiles.com.../SnakeBite.htm
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++