WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default WBBB 1.1 Single Layer for June SOBO

Hi all.

I am planning a SOBO AT Thruhike leaving in early June and I am dialing in my final pack contents. Currently, I have a 1.1 Single Layer Blackbird on order from Warbonnet, but the two week lead time has given me a lot of time for second guessing =P

I originally ordered the 1.1 Single Layer for the weight savings, and because, at 5'10" and 140 lbs, I knew the single layer would support my weight just fine.

What I am now concerned about is the durability of 1.1oz fabric as my everyday bed for the next 6 months. I'm most concerned of the possibility of snags and rips from underbrush and pocket contents. In light of this I am considering upgrading to the 1.1 DL.

Honestly, I would prefer the single layer as I have no need for pads, there is a small weight savings, and I would not have to further delay my order's arrival. (The wait is killing me!!!) That being said, I would sacrifice these things to ensure the longevity of my bed on this hike.

What do the experts (you guys) think? Anyone used a WBBB 1.1 SL for a thru before?

Thanks for your help!

Images

While I use a BB 1.7 double, I don't think you will have a problem with the hammock not holding up. Just make sure you do avoid setting up in the underbrush that could snag the hammock.

You said you do not need a pad so I hope you have a UQ as you will need some insulation under you.
    Hammock Hanger by choice

Warbonnet BlackBird 1.7 dbl

www.neusioktrail.org

Bears love people, they say we taste just like chicken.

Thanks for the concern gunner, but no worries about the UQ, I have a 3-season Yeti on order as well to replace my monstrosity of a DIY UQ.

I know Warbonnet makes quality gear and most people Ive talked to have suggested that Ill be fine, but none of those people actually had the 1.1 single. Come to think of it I dont think Ive ever had direct contact with a BB 1.1 single layer owner.

Go to hammockforums.net and ALL questions will be happily answered.

I have the 1.0 double (no longer manufactured I think) and I have been very pleased. The weight penalty is almost meaningless and I like that I have protection from mosquitoes trying to bite through it in hot weather. Also, it just seems safer to have that extra layer under you. JMO. On an unrelated note, you will love your WBBB. Best nights sleep I have ever had in the woods. It's not for everybody, but it is for me.
    Good luck.
    JC

Quote Originally Posted by nitokerght View Post
    Hi all.

What I am now concerned about is the durability of 1.1oz fabric as my everyday bed for the next 6 months. I'm most concerned of the possibility of snags and rips from underbrush and pocket contents. In light of this I am considering upgrading to the 1.1 DL.

Thanks for your help!
    I think you'll be OK. You've identified the killers. Plus the material isn't going to disintegrate from a hole. Carry some aqua-seal and a piece of untreated 30d nylon if you are worried.

Quote Originally Posted by dla View Post
    IPlus the material isn't going to disintegrate from a hole. Carry some aqua-seal and a piece of untreated 30d nylon if you are worried.
    I've always been under the impression that a hole would lead to the nylon splitting along the vertical axis of the hammock, leaving me on the floor, but perhaps an in-field repair is more plausible than I thought. Anyone ever tried it?

In light of comments from jcreamer, and the thoughts of the hammockforums.net collective (thanks pixelgator), I'm fairly convinced Id be safe either way. But the simple fact that I can't find anyone to personally vouch for a SL 1.1 has led me to decided to contact WB and see how much trouble a SL to DL upgrade would be. If it can be easily accommodated, Ill upgrade. Otherwise, any other SOBOs out there this year will be able to identify me by my dainty handling of that single thin piece of nylon.

Images

First of all either an SL or DBL can get damaged if you are not careful setting up and packing up your hammock, just watch out for snags and don't let your hammock touch the ground. Never were your shoes in the hammock, be careful with any sharp objects, like a pen, eye glasses and such - store them in the shelf. As for carrying a pad, I did not and wished at times I did. I carried a WBBB 1.1DBL and Yeti. The reason I now carry a small pad are: 1) in the Whites, when I "worked for stay" a pad would have made that bench more tolerable. 2) added insulation from knees to feet. 3) a small pad is great as a sit pad for mid day breaks. Best of all a small pad weighs very little and serves multiple purposes. Have a great hike, you'll love your hammock as roots, rocks, mud and water are never a problem when selecting a campsite.

++ New Posts ++