WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Journal Entries
    Images

Default Backpacker gps pro app - have you tried it?

Trimble Outdoors and Backpacker have had for a while the GPS Pro App and I have tried it The features and benefits of a layered map out performs Garmin's mapping GPS for weight and size. The screens are easier to read and larger, great in bright sunlight and although there's less infomation - like "time to destination" or "anchor alarm" the missing details are easy to find with other apps. I am still fuzzy on how to load your own route - but to see a topo layer and have a satellite layer is awesome..... great for when you are off trail!

One clear disadvantage - paying $1-3 for tracks from others - I have compensated a little for this - Yahoo/Google Earth - has all the bike/rail to trails stored in the bottom layer for free.

What have you found so far? - Like's and dislikes... wide open here.

BACKPACKER.jpg
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Journal Entries
    Images

Oh today I found that pro-tracks - popular ones are being charged for, most state parks look free.

68 views? - I am loooking for a discussion here...
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Journal Entries
    Images

I am guessing that folks are missing out on a real great app that could retire your gps. Can anyone suggest a better app?

Woo

I have this app on my iPhone. I've only used it on walks around my house. Completely sucks the battery down. Wouldn't work for me more than a short while.

Images

I had it on my old Droid. I only really used it to track my hikes, and I really enjoyed it for that. I ever really used it for actual navigation. I agree with above, it really killed my battery fast and was only good for a few hours, I couldn't even get a full days hike out of it.

Journal Entries
    Images

Well Sly I took a photo of the screen and tried to clean it up in Photoshop. The screen is 40 percent larger, and with a touch the satellite mode layers on or off - so if I can zoom in down to a car sized object or want to know whats over the hill or the nearest water hole the screen is bright and clear.

Woo

I'm lost beyond the "guidebook and map" app. If anyone gets lost on the AT, all they have to do is listen for the traffic. Oh,

Folks, don't take this seriously. You CAN get lost on the AT, but staying lost for more than three days requires effort.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Question...If I put my phone in airplane mode using the gps app, will the battery last longer?

Yes it will.

Journal Entries
    Images

In the airplane mode the GPS turns off then the unit uses towers instead.

Woo

I haven't tried this one yet. I'm currently testing AccuTerra right now. It has great topo maps I'm only using it to track my distance and pace so far but with that running and playing music my battery seems to be fine so far no issues running it down

Images

Here's an article on using the iphone for gps apps. They like 'gps kit' and 'Gaia gps'
    http://adventurealan.com/iphone4gps.htm
    Some of these are available on Android also, in particular 'Gaia gps'. I haven't tried it yet on my Android phone but intend to buy it.

By 'Backpacker Pro' do you mean Backpacker's 'GPS Trails' app? It's reviews on the android market aren't great.

On my phone (Samsung Galaxy s2, android on ATT), the GPS is pretty accurate even with the phone turned off. Battery life is decent in airplane mode with the GPS turned on (phone, wireless, 3G and bluetooth turned off).
    On some phones, if you have no cell signal it burns up battery life trying to contact a tower.
    [FONT='Droid Sans', Arial, sans-serif]
    [/FONT]

Quote Originally Posted by Snowleopard View Post
    Here's an article on using the iphone for gps apps. They like 'gps kit' and 'Gaia gps'
    http://adventurealan.com/iphone4gps.htm
    Some of these are available on Android also, in particular 'Gaia gps'. I haven't tried it yet on my Android phone but intend to buy it.

By 'Backpacker Pro' do you mean Backpacker's 'GPS Trails' app? It's reviews on the android market aren't great.

On my phone (Samsung Galaxy s2, android on ATT), the GPS is pretty accurate even with the phone turned off. Battery life is decent in airplane mode with the GPS turned on (phone, wireless, 3G and bluetooth turned off).
    On some phones, if you have no cell signal it burns up battery life trying to contact a tower.
    [FONT='Droid Sans', Arial, sans-serif]
    [/FONT]
    Great article it has lots of info

I really like the gaia gps app. Can download as much USGS topographic sections as you want so that it is available offline, import and export tracks, import and export waypoints, etc. Have sold my dedicated gps (Delorme Pn-40) cuz I was not using it anymore.

For battery life, limit track creation and just use the iPhone to check your position. If you set up a SIMM lock option with your carrier (works with AT&T for sure, cuz that's what I have and use), you can lock the SIMM so that the phone won't keep searching for cellular signal and you don't have to go into and out of airport mode to save battery while using gps functions.
    Find the LIGHT STUFF at QiWiz.net

The lightest cathole trowels, wood burning stoves, windscreens, spatulas,
    cooking options, titanium and aluminum pots, and buck saws on the planet

Journal Entries
    Images

I would like to find out a wide idea of apps that are better and try them - I paid for GPS pro hike and its ok on many levels in spite of some buttons hard to get back to on a separate screen - don't ask/

Woo

I started using the GPS Pro app on a Verizon iPhone to track hikes. It weirdly triples the hike distance on 2 out of 3 tries - the first time I mistakenly hit pause, but not the third time. I reported my experiences in this thread: http://forums.backpacker.com/cgi-bin...9;t=9991155223

aka Kudzu
    Images

I tried Backpacker, BackCountry Navigator and Gaia. I settled on Gaia and I've been happy.
    JaxHiker aka Kudzu - WFA
    Florida Trail Association: NE FL Trail Coordinator (Gold Head to Stephen Foster)
    Problems on the trail? Have a great experience? Please let me know. trails at northfloridatrailblazers dot org
    Blazing Trails with Kudzu @ www.idratherbehiking.com
    Follow me @idratherbhiking

++ New Posts ++