WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: MREs as food?

In 2009 Bison did his thru hike using MRE dinners. He had something like 32 mail drops. I would never use them but he is ex military and seemed to enjoy the organizing and planning. His Journal is a pretty good read. http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=262914
    KK4VKZ -SOTA-SUMMITS ON THE AIR-
    SUPPORT LNT

I should have typed retired military not ex-military.
    SUPPORT LNT

Good discussion everybody. Please keep the suggestions coming. I like Derek81pci's suggestion about "field stripping" them like we did in the Marines. I am also leaning toward carrying other food as a primary meal and eating only one MRE a day. It would be 12 pounds for the 6 meals. As for the trash, we use the original bag and stuffed everything in it. We usually were able to put a weeks worth of bags inside 1 bag. What food does everyone recommend for daily consumption then?

Beer, beer and MORE BEER!

Hard to beat assorted Lipton noodle/rice meals with a bag of assorted dehydrated veggies and a bag of dehydrated chicken. The rice meals usually take less time to cook and larger stores have about 10 varieties. Usually the rice meals only have to be turned up to boil then covred and wrapped with something retain the heat, the noodles usually require a few more minutes of simmering.

Wait. MRE's are food ???

That explains alot.

Virginia Tortoise

I usually strip out most of the accessories from my MRE's and place the main entree, side and dessert into a freezer bag. That reduces the weight and acts as a trash receptacle as well as keeps the smell inside the freezer bag. Again I only carry one per wegment on a long hike and use it when I'm too tired, wet, unable to see in the dark, etc.

Images

MRE

Meals
    Refused (by)
    Everyone

In the 70's Mt House made two versions of their freezed dried meals, same meals just different packages....A civilian package in red that said Meal for 2 and a Military olive green package that said meal for 1

MRE's are Ok until you have to eat them for Breakfast Lunch and Dinner for several weeks.
    Hammock Hanger by choice

Warbonnet BlackBird 1.7 dbl

www.neusioktrail.org

Bears love people, they say we taste just like chicken.

Quote Originally Posted by gunner76 View Post
    MRE

Meals
    Refused (by)
    Everyone

In the 70's Mt House made two versions of their freezed dried meals, same meals just different packages....A civilian package in red that said Meal for 2 and a Military olive green package that said meal for 1

MRE's are Ok until you have to eat them for Breakfast Lunch and Dinner for several weeks.
    Gunner- Been there, done that! I like a lot of these ideas. I am seriously considering buying a case of 24 and carrying 4 a week to use as MikeC said, only when I am too tired, wet, or unable to see in the dark. Basically, only as a treat, or a last minute resort. That would make a case last me 6 weeks. At that rate, I would only need 3 or 4 cases at the most!

Journal Entries
    Images

Having lived off these for weeks at a time myself I would say pass for something lighter with less preservatives and cheaper. (Not to mention the that they wreak havoc on you digestive system)

Images

I have some MREs but I only take them on day hikes when weight is not a big deal. On longer hikes I want freeze dried or DIY dehydrated meals. I have been making my own meals for an up coming hike.
    Hammock Hanger by choice

www.neusioktrail.org

Journal Entries
    Images

Did anyone pick up on the fact his trail name is Headcase? Prior to postal?

When you get a chance - search on FBC or Freezer bag Cooking and alcohol stoves for your enjoyment...

Leave the ammo at home.

This wasn't to be rude... Just has no place on Hiking the AT or any other trail. IT is currently illegal to purchase real Military MRE and quite frankly (that's me) Has no place here... but this question occurs often - now that it's no longer offered legally... doesn't matter.
    Last edited by Wise Old Owl; 05-05-2012 at 21:57.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    Did anyone pick up on the fact his trail name is Headcase? Prior to postal?

When you get a chance - search on FBC or Freezer bag Cooking and alcohol stoves for your enjoyment...

Leave the ammo at home.

This wasn't to be rude... Just has no place on Hiking the AT or any other trail. IT is currently illegal to purchase real Military MRE and quite frankly (that's me) Has no place here... but this question occurs often - now that it's no longer offered legally... doesn't matter.
    What in the world are you talking about? MRE's are widely available, even on Amazon.

Images

Interesting link to what to look for when buying MREs on line or other places.......... http://www.mreinfo.com/us/mre/buying-mres.html
    Hammock Hanger by choice

www.neusioktrail.org

[QUOTE=Wise Old Owl;

This wasn't to be rude... Just has no place on Hiking the AT or any other trail. IT is currently illegal to purchase real Military MRE and quite frankly (that's me) Has no place here... but this question occurs often - now that it's no longer offered legally... doesn't matter.[/QUOTE]

The US Government does discourage selling MRE's and has even tried to say that it is illigal to sell them. But they have given up on that tactic since the US hands out millions of MRE's for disaster relief. IT IS ILLIGAL TO STEAL THEM! Although I would not want to carry the weight it seems to me to be a legit method of cooking and eating on an AT thru hike.
    SUPPORT LNT

Images

I was given a pile of MRE's, so I opened the main package and separated them into individual components. Some of the stuff is good, some not so good. The condiment packages are very handy.
    MRE's are widely available. You're not going to get busted for having them.
    "You're a nearsighted, bitter old fool."

Thanx for the knowledge. I plan on using some on my trip.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Jones View Post
    What in the world are you talking about? MRE's are widely available, even on Amazon.
    Quote Originally Posted by vamelungeon View Post
    I was given a pile of MRE's, so I opened the main package and separated them into individual components. Some of the stuff is good, some not so good. The condiment packages are very handy.
    MRE's are widely available. You're not going to get busted for having them.
    Yea it unenforceable...

This explained it best http://www.mreinfo.com/us/mre/buying-mres.html
    According to the letter of the law, anyone selling a military surplus MRE to you on Ebay, in a surplus store, or anywhere is committing an illegal act. Surplus implies that there are mres that can be taken out of the military stock because there are too many and these extra ones can be offered to civilians who want to buy military mre meals. But on each package of military MREs it reads that commercial resale is unlawful. Why is selling Military MREs illegal? It technically is illegal to buy and sell government issue MREs on the civilian market because They are US Gov't Property and it is not lawful for anyone to resell them to people who want to purchase MREs for sale. As one person stated on the Internet: "The surplus stores will buy them as well even if they are illegal, the MP's don't have time to go to every shop to check them out and if the MRE's are expired then they don't care."
    The Defense Supply Center in Philadelphia sent out this statement regarding military mre for sale on the civilian market: "All Operational Rations are procured by the Defense Logistics Agency and are Government owned property until consumed by authorized personnel or disposed of, if appropriate. Operational Rations are never considered “surplus”. RESALE IS STRICTLY PROHIBITED, as expressly stated on MRE cases and individual menu bags (U.S. GOVERNMENT PROPERTY COMMERCIAL RESALE IS UNLAWFUL)." So there you have it folks. If you are going to buy military MRE you should do it legally through one of the two best military contracted suppliers of civilian MREs (Ameriqual and Sopakco) and these are legal to sell and purchase.
    Reports have been made about some military MRE’s that have been kept in a war zone for months and even years prior to appearing on ebay. What person in their right mind wants to consume any kind of food that has been in a hot desert for a year or longer? It is impossible for any company to make an MRE that can keep its freshness and edibility in constant high heat over a long period of time. Many tests determining how long MREs can last under harsh conditions have been done by the U.S. Army’s NATIC Research Laboratories. The test results: when MREs are stored in heat day in and day out that is over 100 degrees, the shelf life is less than two years. But MREs stored at approximately 70 degrees lasted for around one hundred months. Is it really worth buying MREs from either a surplus store or from ebay when you are taking this kind of risk with what you plan to eat? Thankfully you can buy them new from the two best contracted companies that the military uses to supply their own military meals ready to eat.
    So all hope in finding trustworthy MREs is not lost. After doing extensive research of legal MREs available to the public, this researcher found two companies which are the two best contracted suppliers of MRE to the military but also supply MREs especially for public sale. The two best suppliers out of the three companies contracted to sell military MRE meals are Ameriqual and Sopakco. Ameriqual is the largest supplier of MREs and has a very delicious variety of civilian military MREs available in their case of twelve Ameriqual APack MREs which are available inexpensively from The Ready Store. Sopakco is the oldest supplier of the civilian variety of military MREs and they can be purchased inexpensively by the case through Amazon. Most people liked the MREs made by these companies the best.

My real point is that stripping them is Ok because of their high calorie nature - but honest they are heavy, not compact and not well suited - I have a few MRE's that military personal gave me - I have little use for them. To be honest FBC and shopping at a grocery is cheaper.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Images

Woo, it says SELL not possess.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by vamelungeon View Post
    Woo, it says SELL not possess.
    I owe you an apology, I misread your reply. Sorry Woo.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++