Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
Results 81 to 100 of 148
  1. #81
    Not committing until I graduate! Sassafras Lass's Avatar
    Join Date
    02-01-2010
    Location
    Mishawaka, IN
    Posts
    578
    Images
    31

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    Rape is a crime of aggression and dominance, it has nothing to do with sexual attraction.
    If that were 100% the true origin, then I'd be targeted by women and my husband would be targeted by men, too. Sex does have a little something to do with it.
    Formerly 'F-Stop'

    If you don't like the road you're walking, start paving another one.

    ~ Dolly Parton

  2. #82
    Not committing until I graduate! Sassafras Lass's Avatar
    Join Date
    02-01-2010
    Location
    Mishawaka, IN
    Posts
    578
    Images
    31

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bigcranky View Post
    Yeah, that's funny. But as is often the case, people are more afraid of the things they don't know anything about (the woods) and less so about things they do all the time (driving), even though the odds of injury or death are far higher for driving.
    Not picking on you bigcranky, you know I'm a fan - but this is an excellent way to put the following:

    "But as is often the case, people are more afraid of the things they don't know anything about (guns) . . . ."

    Our society has progressed to firearms, and they still prove to be the most effective tool when it comes to personal safety. As is evidenced by the millions of criminals who don't obey laws anyways and hurt the good folks who do follow the asinine gun laws and cannot legally protect themselves; the criminals are safe, because they can presume that the majority of Americans unfortunately do not carry a gun and are often proved right.

    Can you imagine people in centuries past, even as late as the late 19th century? "No, I don't believe in swords or arrows, they're dangerous and unnecessary, you're paranoid if you think you need to carry a weapon every day." ??? That was crazy talk then and it's crazy talk now. Just because we have a safety net of commerce and media doesn't mean that the more unsavory side of mankind has gone away or even diminished.

    I do find it humorous that people are discussing the scariness of a tool . . . which is all a gun is. It's essentially a more accurate slingshot, though not by much. You have to practice a ton to fine-tune your aim, and even when you can achieve a high level of accuracy, it changes from gun to gun. This Glock is better when sighted a little to the left and down, this Ruger is better just to the right, etc. You just don't point and shoot and bam! you've bagged dinner or bam! you've stopped that assailant. Guns are a tool just like knives, bows, sticks and rods, swords, and axes are tools. Yes, they can be used for harm, but so could a toothpick. The desire to carry a very effective tool with you does not mean that you're paranoid, immature, weak, or militant in nature.

    Just my $0.02, and the last I'll say on the subject before Alligator bites my head off.
    Finn, looking forward to seeing you on the trail!
    Formerly 'F-Stop'

    If you don't like the road you're walking, start paving another one.

    ~ Dolly Parton

  3. #83

    Default

    Hey Finn, I didnt want to assume you are insecure, maybe just protective, which is great in alot of ways. I carried a hachet for 110 miles on the PCT to protect myself from illegals, im pretty sure I creeped out alot of fellow hikers, but nobody said a dang thing!

  4. #84
    Registered User
    Join Date
    05-02-2012
    Location
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Age
    28
    Posts
    36
    Images
    1

    Default

    ha! that's not a bad idea. I might bring a battleaxe or crossbow with me as a gun just seems impractical now.

    Sassafrass Lass, I saw in your pictures you have the double rainbow tarptent. seems about what I'm looking for. how do you think it would work for me any my wife? I just watch a video of the setup and i like that you can give it a sort of awning so its big for living space, but closes up real tight so we won't have to warm up a huge area. any thoughts? If I can find a used one I'm sold. Been scouring the internet but can't find much under $100 that doesn't weight 5lbs.

  5. #85

    Default

    I seriously doubt I will take a gun, but I always am amused by others who talk about accuracy with guns. My dad was a commanding officer in Special Ops so yes, I definitely AM accurate. However the majority of the time, women (or men) do not need to fire their weapon. It is simply enough to have it by your bed or sleeping bag and fire a warning shot if someone is trying to break in your door (and know where to fire it) or tell them to get the hell out of your tent and let them know you have a gun. Even really drunk guys are not going to want to deal with it. However, I think that for all intrinsic purposes that a knife should suffice.

    Problems CAN happen on the trail. Sorry this is long, but it's a true story: Years ago when I was 28, I was hiking at a very popular hiking place called Sabino Canyon. I was on the Phone Line Trail, but had already hiked in about 6 miles. It was mid-week so I had not encountered anyone for miles. I did have my gun with me. I encountered a rattlesnake in the middle of the trail and went around it. About 5 min later, I encountered two men in their early 30's. They had taken the tram and were coming from the opposite end. What was so odd was that they were in black street shoes and wearing black socks and not dressed in hiking attire at all. One asked me what time it was. I had just glanced at my watch so looking straight at him, I told him the time, but threw him off because I warned him of the rattlesnake ahead, but kept walking. They then stopped and asked if I was worried about the snake. I patted my side and said I had a gun with me. They both said, "You have a gun?" I kept hiking and didn't think anything of it, but several days later on the front page, it showed their photos. The next day, these two brothers had hiked the same trail and raped and almost beaten to death a co-Ed. They were later arrested and sent to prison. I was informed by the police that my attitude and luck in throwing them off by mentioning the snake was probably what saved me.

    Even though it shook me up for a little while, within a month I was hiking alone again. I rarely take my gun now on day hikes, but it CAN make a difference.

  6. #86
    Not committing until I graduate! Sassafras Lass's Avatar
    Join Date
    02-01-2010
    Location
    Mishawaka, IN
    Posts
    578
    Images
    31

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Finn&Fionna View Post
    Sassafrass Lass, I saw in your pictures you have the double rainbow tarptent. seems about what I'm looking for. how do you think it would work for me any my wife? I just watch a video of the setup and i like that you can give it a sort of awning so its big for living space, but closes up real tight so we won't have to warm up a huge area. any thoughts? If I can find a used one I'm sold. Been scouring the internet but can't find much under $100 that doesn't weight 5lbs.

    Finn, to be honest we weren't terribly happy with the Double Rainbow. Too small to be a true 2-person, IMO, and had issues with condensation. Ended up selling it and we now have the Marmot Aura 2P. Same footprint but so much more headroom, it feels much larger. Plus I like the fact that on nice nights you can leave off the outer fly altogether and sleep under the stars. It's a little less than 5 lbs, I think, so we are dividing it and are around 2.5 lbs each for a tent that suits us so much better. And a cheery orange so if you're hunkered down in a storm at least you'll be happier about it.
    Formerly 'F-Stop'

    If you don't like the road you're walking, start paving another one.

    ~ Dolly Parton

  7. #87
    Not committing until I graduate! Sassafras Lass's Avatar
    Join Date
    02-01-2010
    Location
    Mishawaka, IN
    Posts
    578
    Images
    31

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WIAPilot View Post
    I rarely take my gun now on day hikes, but it CAN make a difference.
    WIAPilot, that is truly scary and it's truly unfortunate that the other lady was prepared like you were.
    Formerly 'F-Stop'

    If you don't like the road you're walking, start paving another one.

    ~ Dolly Parton

  8. #88
    ME => GA 19AT3 rickb's Avatar
    Join Date
    12-12-2002
    Location
    Marlboro, MA
    Posts
    4,926
    Journal Entries
    1
    Images
    1

    Default

    5 lbs, I think, so And a cheery orange so if you're hunkered down in a storm at least you'll be happier about it.

    Yea, but of you don't want broadcast where you are camped go with gray.

  9. #89
    Hiker bigcranky's Avatar
    Join Date
    10-22-2002
    Location
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Age
    52
    Posts
    5,658
    Images
    242

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sassafras Lass View Post
    Not picking on you bigcranky, you know I'm a fan - but this is an excellent way to put the following:

    "But as is often the case, people are more afraid of the things they don't know anything about (guns) . . . ."

    Actually, I wasn't talking about guns at all, just the fear of the unknown in general and the human capacity to misunderstand risk levels between known and unknown activities.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'

  10. #90
    Registered User
    Join Date
    01-24-2012
    Location
    Shelby Township, Michigan
    Posts
    280

    Default

    THREAD SUMMARY – Continued from post #54

    Additional learning to this point:

    26. I’m hilarious.
    27. Police officers (retired or active duty) can’t legally carry a concealed weapon the entire A.T. during a thru-hike. (If you don’t wish to look this up, trust me. OR better yet, BET ME!)
    28. Don’t pack your fears and your calves are better firearms.
    29. Less than 0.1% of people carry items to use as a weapon.
    30. Papa D has a bowling ball for a left calf muscle and probably needs surgery.
    31. Fionna is not insanely hot that anyone will go into a rape frenzy.
    32. Modern women don’t need guys with weapons supporting them.
    33. Karl never knew he had to worry about his personal safety.
    34. No one really answered the cheese spoilage question, shame.
    35. Winds is too ignorant to answer the cheese spoilage question, shame.
    36. Rape has nothing to do with sexual attraction.
    37. Some people never got to add their names to completing the trail.
    38. There have been rapes and murders everywhere.
    39. You can drown in your bathtub.
    40. You can die in an airplane crash.
    41. We are to “live and let God” on the magical trail.
    42. Rational people don’t let irrational fears govern their conduct.
    43. Bigcranky wants an RPG launcher.
    44. No one has a crystal ball, and some folks live into their 100’s.
    45. Illegal stealth sites are ok if you are trusting your gut.
    45. Yesterday there were over 220 million unreported incidents of non-violence in the US.
    46. People who look for trouble often find it.
    46. Be cheerful and you won’t find trouble.
    47. Lemon b doesn’t want an eye-poke from a branch while falling.
    48. Every guy is trying to pull something when interacting with a pretty attractive woman.
    49. Sassafrass Lass’s husband may be targeted by men and sex has something to do with it.
    50. Millions of criminals don’t obey laws.
    51. Guns are tools like toothpicks.
    52. Mikey Appleseed creeps out a lot of fellow hikers with a hachet.
    53. Finn wants the perfect 2 person / 2lb tent for under $100.
    54. Gun accuracy improves if your dad was a commanding officer in Special Ops.
    54. Problems can happen on the trail.
    55. The Double Rainbow might not have enough headroom.
    56. A cheery orange tent is nice to sit in during storms.

    You’re welcome, hike on!

  11. #91

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Winds View Post
    THREAD SUMMARY – Continued from post #54

    Additional learning to this point:

    26. I’m hilarious.
    27. Police officers (retired or active duty) can’t legally carry a concealed weapon the entire A.T. during a thru-hike. (If you don’t wish to look this up, trust me. OR better yet, BET ME!)
    28. Don’t pack your fears and your calves are better firearms.
    29. Less than 0.1% of people carry items to use as a weapon.
    30. Papa D has a bowling ball for a left calf muscle and probably needs surgery.
    31. Fionna is not insanely hot that anyone will go into a rape frenzy.
    32. Modern women don’t need guys with weapons supporting them.
    33. Karl never knew he had to worry about his personal safety.
    34. No one really answered the cheese spoilage question, shame.
    35. Winds is too ignorant to answer the cheese spoilage question, shame.
    36. Rape has nothing to do with sexual attraction.
    37. Some people never got to add their names to completing the trail.
    38. There have been rapes and murders everywhere.
    39. You can drown in your bathtub.
    40. You can die in an airplane crash.
    41. We are to “live and let God” on the magical trail.
    42. Rational people don’t let irrational fears govern their conduct.
    43. Bigcranky wants an RPG launcher.
    44. No one has a crystal ball, and some folks live into their 100’s.
    45. Illegal stealth sites are ok if you are trusting your gut.
    45. Yesterday there were over 220 million unreported incidents of non-violence in the US.
    46. People who look for trouble often find it.
    46. Be cheerful and you won’t find trouble.
    47. Lemon b doesn’t want an eye-poke from a branch while falling.
    48. Every guy is trying to pull something when interacting with a pretty attractive woman.
    49. Sassafrass Lass’s husband may be targeted by men and sex has something to do with it.
    50. Millions of criminals don’t obey laws.
    51. Guns are tools like toothpicks.
    52. Mikey Appleseed creeps out a lot of fellow hikers with a hachet.
    53. Finn wants the perfect 2 person / 2lb tent for under $100.
    54. Gun accuracy improves if your dad was a commanding officer in Special Ops.
    54. Problems can happen on the trail.
    55. The Double Rainbow might not have enough headroom.
    56. A cheery orange tent is nice to sit in during storms.

    You’re welcome, hike on!
    Could you please do this on every thread that goes over 2 pages.
    Last edited by atmilkman; 05-07-2012 at 19:18.
    "Hiking is as close to God as you can get without going to Church." - BobbyJo Sargent aka milkman Sometimes it's nice to take a long walk in THE FOG.

  12. #92
    Registered User
    Join Date
    05-02-2012
    Location
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Age
    28
    Posts
    36
    Images
    1

    Default

    I'm just happy he didn't tear me up too bad. My wife won't throw people in to a rape frenzy and I'm probably too frugal. I'm good with that. Carry on

  13. #93
    Registered User
    Join Date
    09-29-2008
    Location
    West Palm Beach, Florida
    Age
    60
    Posts
    3,213

    Default

    Telling some one you are carrying a firearm goes against all firearms training logic. Firing a warning shot is foolish. If you have a reason to fire a weapon it should be to shoot someone. Guns are not drawn as a warning.
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

  14. #94

    Default

    Just to clarify, I was talking accuracy striking someone, not with a gun per say, hand, foot, hachet,........ Dont worry Wind, im only considered slightly ill myself, so I did enjoy the list. I forgot that a gal asked me if it was my hachet in the hiker box, and I had no problem admitting ownership, a proud man I am.

  15. #95
    Registered User
    Join Date
    11-03-2011
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    11,106
    Journal Entries
    1
    Images
    28

    Default

    It should also be pointed out that most firearm engagements happen with in 7 yards or 21 feet.Most shooters at a club or range will often practice at 30 feet with extreme accuracy,groupings of about 2"are not uncommon,and groups of 3/4"are often the case.When a shooter has to get down to business the target becomes center mass the size of a pie plate,and thats not a difficult shot.......at all.
    I hike for hikin'

  16. #96

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WingedMonkey View Post
    Telling some one you are carrying a firearm goes against all firearms training logic. Firing a warning shot is foolish. If you have a reason to fire a weapon it should be to shoot someone. Guns are not drawn as a warning.
    I respectfully disagree WingedMonkey. There are many times when a woman (usually younger) has to deal with a guy who is simply drunk and trying to force his way into her apartment or home.

  17. #97

    Default

    LOL Wings, you are hilarious!

  18. #98

    Default

    Dave is exactly the kind of person I try to stay clear of on the trail.....

  19. #99
    Registered User
    Join Date
    01-24-2012
    Location
    Shelby Township, Michigan
    Posts
    280

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kool-Aid View Post
    Dave is exactly the kind of person I try to stay clear of on the trail.....
    Who is Dave?

    And folks, I wasn't ripping on anyone, my attempt at levity.

  20. #100
    Registered User
    Join Date
    11-03-2011
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    11,106
    Journal Entries
    1
    Images
    28

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Winds View Post
    Who is Dave?

    And folks, I wasn't ripping on anyone, my attempt at levity.
    I kinda dig the clif notes version with a twist,and I'm pretty sure some smart person once said "Bringing Levity to an other wise gravitas world" ain't such a bad thing.or somethin like that.
    I hike for hikin'

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
++ New Posts ++

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •