WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default What does it take to make "a good trail town"?

From a thru-hiker point of view, what does a "good trail town" have that a "poor trail town" lacks?

The internet is calling and I must go. buff_jeff's Avatar

For me, decent resupply, restaurant, and lodging options. Some people get all spun up about unfriendly people and feeling slighted, but as long as I have decent food and a bed/shower, I'm happy.

I think the people who really complain about towns just have an entitlement issue. For the most part, the primary stops along the way are fantastic.

The friendliness of a town really does matter so I am a person who apparently does have "entitlement issues." I feel that as long as my requests to a store owner, service person or waiter/waitress are reasonable and I am patronizing their establishment and treating them with respect - that I ​deserve cordial service in a pleasant manner. I was a waitress throughout college and I have dealt with a lot of jerks, but I have also seen many people who take their moods out on customers and hold them responsible for the jobs that they occasionally hate. I do not require a "Gidget Hikes the A.T." smile, but I do expect to be treated fairly. If the last 5 young hikers have been jerks - I'm sorry, but not my fault. If someone works with some of the younger hikers and they are routinely treated in a poor manner, they need to find a job they enjoy instead of taking it out in the 6th hiker.

I think that to be a good trail town it needs a hostel

laundry, motel, buffet, beer, supermarket. and could care less if they're friendly or not

Images

I don't need the townsfolk to go out of their way and be super-amazingly-nice to me for me to enjoy it, I just don't want to feel like they're hating their jobs/lives for having to help/serve a thru-hiker. There were some spots (a little at NOC, notably) where the treatment I got from some staff made me feel ashamed to be a hiker. That made it a negative experience for me. I'm still a paying customer, and as someone who has worked in food service for a long time, I tip well (usually 20-25%) unless something makes me do otherwise. So that's definitely something that will make me strongly dislike a town, or at least reconsider how much time and money I want to spend in that particular town in the future.

Other than that, if it's got an easy resupply (I'm easy, a Dollar General within two miles of the trail works for me) then I'm happy. I also have a huge soft spot for those small independent-feeling towns. It makes me feel like I belong there, even just as someone passing through. Hot Springs was probably my favorite, I think that's a golden example of trail town.

Journal Entries
    Images

Supply, Dry out, Clean up, Mail

Good town:

Laundry, hostel and motel, AYCE restaurant, grocery, and post office all located close to each other.

Great town:

The above, plus an outfitter, a book store, and give the motel a pool.

Extra credit:

Movie theater.

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    laundry, motel, buffet, beer, supermarket. and could care less if they're friendly or not

And if it's all within a short walk...then A+
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

Quote Originally Posted by RWheeler View Post
    I don't need the townsfolk to go out of their way and be super-amazingly-nice to me for me to enjoy it, I just don't want to feel like they're hating their jobs/lives for having to help/serve a thru-hiker. There were some spots (a little at NOC, notably) where the treatment I got from some staff made me feel ashamed to be a hiker. That made it a negative experience for me. I'm still a paying customer, and as someone who has worked in food service for a long time, I tip well (usually 20-25%) unless something makes me do otherwise. So that's definitely something that will make me strongly dislike a town, or at least reconsider how much time and money I want to spend in that particular town in the future.

Other than that, if it's got an easy resupply (I'm easy, a Dollar General within two miles of the trail works for me) then I'm happy. I also have a huge soft spot for those small independent-feeling towns. It makes me feel like I belong there, even just as someone passing through. Hot Springs was probably my favorite, I think that's a golden example of trail town.
    I really like what you wrote. You are still relatively young (compared to me) and I'd like to share a quote by Eleanor Roosevelt: No one can make you feel inferior without your consent! She was an amazing woman and at the top of my list of women that I admire.

I tip well because I know how much these tips are needed and earned. But if someone treats me badly, my tip reflects this. If someone treats me really badly, I will quietly (but with the accuracy of an ice sword) put them in their place.

I especially loved your description of the small independent-feeling towns. Perfectly stated.
    Last edited by WIAPilot; 05-22-2012 at 17:02.

Images

Shoe cobbler, pay phone and a restaurant that sells a 10 cent cup of coffee. Oops, wrong century!!
    Order your copy of the Appalachian Trail Passport at www.ATPassport.com

Green Mountain House Hostel
    Manchester Center, VT

http://www.greenmountainhouse.net

A really good grocery store that has more interesting selection than the standard dried meals I am probably sick of.
    Good beer (not Budmilloors crap).

Icecream,gotta have good icecream,but really any icecream on a hot day is good.

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    Icecream,gotta have good icecream,but really any icecream on a hot day is good.
    and poptarts

Images

Quote Originally Posted by max patch View Post
    Good town:

Laundry, hostel and motel, AYCE restaurant, grocery, and post office all located close to each other.

Great town:

The above, plus an outfitter, a book store, and give the motel a pool.

Extra credit:

Movie theater.
    add Starbucks and Dairy Queen, & I'll stay a week!

GoodBland, VA, Duncannon, PA) A lodging place, a grocery, a laundromat and a couple of eating establishments

BetterErwin, TN, Gatlinburg, TN, Franklin NC)
    Multiple lodging choices (motels, B&Bs and hostels). Multiple Restaraunts (fast, slow, gourmet and and a variety of tastes (tex-mex, seafood, bbq, german, steak, asian, italian, brew-pub) at least one outfitter that specializes in BPing/hiking (not just a hunting or bike shop with some Mountain House meals), a laundromat (if not in hostel or motel),

Great: (Hot Springs, NC, Damascus, VA)
    multiple grocery stores, other outdoor opportunities (biking, rafting, etc.), an atmosphere where you (as a hiker) and your business are a vital and wanted, easy accces to town from trail

A town with no-frills places to stay and who accept maildrops, laundry, library for internet (don't have a smartphone), grocery.

Re. food. a personal preference: I really like locally-owned, non-chain places to eat. Not that I patronize McD, BK, et. al. anyway, but they're the same across the country. Hot Springs, Damascus, Harpers Ferry, Duncannon, Hanover to name a few all feature cool eating establishments each with their own twist. And the oft-maligned Port Clinton Hotel has decent food for hikers.

Quote Originally Posted by Odd Man Out View Post
    ...Good beer (not Budmilloors crap).
    Right On!

Quote Originally Posted by moldy View Post
    From a thru-hiker point of view, what does a "good trail town" have that a "poor trail town" lacks?
    I want 4 things when I arrive in town, all within 0.5 mile of each other:
    - Cheap motel room ($50 or less)
    - Laundry (can usually be done at motel but not always)
    - Supermarket
    - Good diner type place

Having an good outfitter like Mountain Crossings, Bluff Mountain or Mt Rogers every 3-400 miles is good as well.

If Hot Springs had a supermarket, it would be my idea trail town, especially with that breakfast skillet at the Smoky Mountain Diner!

:banana

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    I agree a thousand percent. You can't eat friendly or sleep on it. You're walking thousands of miles often cold, wet, tired and hungry. You need friendly, what a joke.

Images

1) Town is right on the trail or within .5 miles.
    2) Post office
    3) Cheap Food
    4) Internet Access
    5) Laundry
    6) Outfitter
    7) Dollar Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++