WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by stranger View Post
    Look, if you take a hike on the AT you're probably going to die, it's just that simple.
    Absolutely true. 19 years after my long walk at age 64, I increasingly feel that it's true that no one gets out of this world alive.

FWIW, I did conduct an informal poll of women I got to know well on most of the many trails I have walked over the past 80 years. My question: "Have you ever felt threatened on the trail?" The answer was always "no." I suspect most of us feel a little nervous during the first few days. But quickly most of us come to realize that the trail is the safest place one could be.

Quote Originally Posted by weary View Post
    Absolutely true. 19 years after my long walk at age 64, I increasingly feel that it's true that no one gets out of this world alive.

FWIW, I did conduct an informal poll of women I got to know well on most of the many trails I have walked over the past 80 years. My question: "Have you ever felt threatened on the trail?" The answer was always "no." I suspect most of us feel a little nervous during the first few days. But quickly most of us come to realize that the trail is the safest place one could be.
    I agree with this,I have never felt threatened on the trail.I have at times felt like the person that was talking to me was weird,but never felt threatened.I feel pretty good knowing that recently a couple weirdos were rounded up,and therefore changes the equation a bit.

I am in the middle of reading a 2003 journal of one of the WB members. He was hiking with a female hiking partner and they were near a drunken group of hikers at one of the hostels. When she went to use the privy in the middle of the night, she was physically assaulted by one of the drunks. Fortunately, she was able to cry out and he was subdued by the others and the Police called. These things DO happen. I think the biggest culprits are these drunken groups who yellow blaze, going from shelter to hostel to shelter. Really a shame.

Quote Originally Posted by WIAPilot View Post
    I think the biggest culprits are these drunken groups who yellow blaze, going from shelter to hostel to shelter. Really a shame.
    Don't think I have ever run any a "group" of these.
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

Images

Cntral park in NY has a reputation for being a dangerous place, and yet has the precinct with the lowest crime rate in the city.millions enjoy the beauty of central park without incidient. the same is true of the AT. yes, there is the remote possibility you can be assaulted on the trail or worse. yes, you can get hit by lightning, yes you can be attacked by a bear, yes you can be bitten by a brown recluse spider and watch your skin fall off.
    You can let these things keep you from enjoying a lifetime experience?many times, once you face your fears, you find there was never anything to be afraid of. it just takes a little leap of faith.

Hii...

People may not always be the most prevalent threat on your hike.

Nor might snakes or bears be. But, be cautious. Small wildlife that seem "friendly", nice or cuddly...or which may appear to be acting somewhat out-of-sorts, should also be dealt with caution.

05-16-12

NY hiker treated for rabies after fox attack.

Authorities say a hiker bitten by a fox in a central New York park is being treated for rabies.

The Ithaca Journal reports that the statesrabies laboratory determined Tuesday that the fox was rabid.

The Tompkins County Health Department says two people were hiking a trail in Buttermilk Falls State Park in Ithaca last Friday when they were attacked by the fox. The animal bit one of the hikers before park police officers shot and killed it.

The report said rabies is often a fatal disease if untreated.

The above is a rarity, but it does happen. Other known rabies carriers are skunks and 'coons.

Bottom line? Just HYOH and keep your eyes open. Odds? You'll probably never see a rabid or "strange acting" small animal.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Pathfinder1 View Post
    Hii...

. Other known rabies carriers are skunks and 'coons.

Bottom line? Just HYOH and keep your eyes open. Odds? You'll probably never see a rabid or "strange acting" small animal.

I have seen rabid racoons on trails - generally - I give them a wide circle of bushwacking.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Peachfuzz

You'll be fine.

Hii...

The report said rabies is often a fatal disease if untreated.

For all practical purposes, rabies is 100% fatal, if not treated promptly. I think two or three people have survived it, ever. Best to avoid it, I think.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

The scariest moment I've ever had while hiking on the AT was in 2001, near Culvers Gap. I took a shot to the head, broke my glasses, nearly knocked a tooth out, scratches all over my head and face...

I fell out of a parked truck face first at Gyp's Tavern at 1am (the seatbelt attacked me as I was trying to exit)

Quote Originally Posted by stranger View Post
    The scariest moment I've ever had while hiking on the AT was in 2001, near Culvers Gap. I took a shot to the head, broke my glasses, nearly knocked a tooth out, scratches all over my head and face...

I fell out of a parked truck face first at Gyp's Tavern at 1am (the seatbelt attacked me as I was trying to exit)
    So who won the round?

Hiking any trail is optional, getting back home alive, after said hike, is mandatory. Your personal safety is your responsibility, take it very seriously.

Journal Entries

Yes, there are real dangers on trails. But the greatest danger is to sit at home piddling on the internet, playing video games, or watching TV, and the early death from inactivity.

Images

You're more likely to get bitten by a copperhead or timber ratler than to get attacked by a human. The AT is the most traveled long distance trail in the US, you're more likely to get into trouble hiking other lesser known trails than hiking the AT.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Credit Score View Post
    You're more likely to get bitten by a copperhead or timber ratler than to get attacked by a human.
    My guess is that if 5 thru hikers had been killed on the AT by a copperhead or timber ratler -- and if a long distance section hiker had been killed by a copper head or timbler ratler just last year -- the trhu hiking community would not dismiss people's concerns about those reptiles as unfounded.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rickb View Post
    My guess is that if 5 thru hikers had been killed on the AT by a copperhead or timber ratler -- and if a long distance section hiker had been killed by a copper head or timbler ratler just last year -- the trhu hiking community would not dismiss people's concerns about those reptiles as unfounded.
    Well, it's certainly true that 5 deaths from snakes would catch our attention, since copper head and timber rattler bites are only very, very rarely fatal.

And yes, people have been murdered on trails. We should all be aware that nut cases, and even criminals, exist everywhere. The problem is there if very little we can do about it. Unless someone announces in advance he is about to kill you, victims usually get caught by surprise. The two thru-hiker deaths that I know most about because the victims were from Maine made the mistake of trying to counsel an obvious nut job. Take notice. If someone doesn't ask for help with his life, don't offer help.

These events happen so rarely, and so rarely is advanced notice given, that one has really very little choice. Either stay home and vegetate, or accept that risks are a part of life. The trail remains about the safest place one can be. So go, but stay alert. I have yet to see convincing evidence that anything else helps.

weary;

FWIW, I did conduct an informal poll of women I got to know well on most of the many trails I have walked over the past 80 years.

Hi...

Eighty years old? Really? If so, FINALLY someone older than me is posting on this forum...!!

weary;

FWIW, I did conduct an informal poll of women I got to know well on most of the many trails I have walked over the past 80 years.

Hi...

Eighty years old? Really? If so, FINALLY someone older than me is posting on this forum...!!
    Taking a little artistic license from Dolly Parton and Jim Morrison:Working 9 to 5,no one here gets...out alive!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    Taking a little artistic license from Dolly Parton and Jim Morrison:Working 9 to 5,no one here gets...out alive!
    Hank Williams Sr. had a song- "I'll Never Get Out of This World Alive"
    "You're a nearsighted, bitter old fool."

THREAD SUMMARY – Continued from post #90

Additional learning to this point:

57. I will now do this for every post over 2 pages.
    58. Finn is probably too frugal.
    59. If you have a reason to fire a weapon, it should be to shoot someone.
    60. Mikey is considered slightly ill.
    61. Firearms get engaged, and that’s not difficult.
    62. Women deal with drunk guys forcing their way into apartments.
    63. I am fun and beyond.
    64. Kool-Aid doesn’t like Dave, but Dave may like Kool-Aid?
    65. If you hike the A.T. you’re probably going to die.
    66. The greatest threat to Oldbear’s personal safety has been his stupidity.
    67. 100% of people who have hiked the A.T. will die.
    68. Finn knows a dozen people still living.
    69. Your odds of being murdered on your toilet are 100 times that while hiking the A.T.
    70. John thinks Rickb is interested in this topic.
    71. Fear sucks and medication is the best.
    72. Being murdered while hiking is completely possible.
    73. Being murdered just once is enough.
    74. There are some inherent risks to everything.
    75. Accepting risk is a part of life and smart people know that sometimes a helmet is in order.
    76. Weary uses informal polls to meet women (nice!).
    77. The trail is the safest place one could be.
    78. Rocketsocks has talked with weird people.
    79. Drunken groups who yellow blaze from shelter to hostel to shelter are a shame.
    80. WingedMonkey has never run any bad groups.
    81. Millions enjoy Central Park without incident.
    82. You can be bitten by a brown recluse spider and watch your skin fall off.
    83. A lifetime experience just takes a little leap of faith.
    84. New York hikers can get rabies from fox bites.
    85. You’ll probably never see a rabid animal.
    86. Rabid raccoons are on trails.
    87. You will be fine.
    88. 2 or 3 people have survived rabies, but it’s best to avoid it.
    89. Stranger falls out of parked trucks.
    90. Getting home alive after hiking a trail is mandatory.
    91. Personal safety is your responsibility.
    92. The greatest danger is sitting at home watching the TV.
    93. Lesser known trails are more dangerous than the A.T.
    94. Nut cases, even criminals exist everywhere.
    95. Don’t try to counsel an obvious nut job or you could end up dead.
    96. It’s rare to get advanced notice if someone is going to kill you.
    97. Weary is weary that anything but staying alert helps.
    98. Rocketsocks likes Dolly Parton and Jim Morrison.
    99. Vamelungeon likes Hank Williams Sr.

You’re welcome, hike on!

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
++ New Posts ++