WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default Campsites South of Johns Springs Shelter in VA??

Hey Virginia A.T. experts,

I am planning a 3 day hike starting from VA620 (Trout Creek), heading North. On the first day, I can most likely do the 15 or so miles to Johns Spring Shelter, but just in case that turns out to be too much, does anyone know if there are any good places to camp South of Johns Spring Shelter? Just want to have a fallback plan.

Thanks!
    Formerly uhfox

Springer to Bear Mountain Inn, NY
    N Adams, MA to Clarendon VT
    Franconia Notch to Crawford Notch

Images

I believe there are some places to pitch a tent between Dragon's Tooth and Rt.311, somewhere by Catawba Creek. Probably some atop the ridge also,but never did see any good sites,wasn't really looking either as it was mid-afternoon with good daylight left.
    If you do go past the creek and ascend the ridge that will be your last water source until reaching Johns Spring .
    Getting lost is a way to find yourself.

Erm... You are a hiker and need to be given a how to find a camp spot. Just curious but why? Its out there , when you need to stop, look around , find a place, pitch tent, cook food, sleep . .... all is well with the world. Safe trails and enjoy.

Images

Erm... You are a hiker and need to be given a how to find a camp spot. Just curious but why? Its out there , when you need to stop, look around , find a place, pitch tent, cook food, sleep . .... all is well with the world. Safe trails and enjoy.
    True enough. I'll be hiking with a couple of other people, and none of us is familiar with this section. We could always find a place to camp if we had to.

Isn't this forum here so that people like me can find out about parts of the trail that they aren't familiar with? Just want to know what's up ahead.
    Formerly uhfox

Springer to Bear Mountain Inn, NY
    N Adams, MA to Clarendon VT
    Franconia Notch to Crawford Notch

++ New Posts ++