WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Seeking advice > sleeping bag

I am looking for recommendations for a decent quality synthetic fill sleeping bag, regular size, 20 or 30 degree rating that packs fairly small and has a carry weight not over 4 lbs (the lighter the better, of course).

I have used a hammock and down quilts exclusively for the past 10 years, so have not really kept up with sleeping bags too much lately.

Here is the back story . . .

Our Boy Scout council each year sends a few boys from our ScoutReach program to Philmont each year on full scholarship. ScoutReach is the BSA program to outreach to underserved youth (these are kids, mostly minority, from the housing projects and other disadvantaged areas). Anyway, while their fee and transportation is covered, equipment has been a challenge. We have someone willing to buy a couple or three sleeping bags, up to $150 total, that we can use for these Scouts going this summer, then clean up the bags after the trip and re-use them next year and into the future. So my challenge is to find the best bang for the buck in a sleeping bag reasonable for a 10-day backpacking trip in New Mexico. Since it is not unusual for near or even sub-freezing temps in June, a 20 or 30 degree bag seems most appropriate. We are looking towards synthetic over down because of cost, ease of cleaning, and simply because synthetic fills are a little more durable and forgiving than down.

So, if anyone is familiar with a particular bag that is a particularly good value, or aware of a reseller having a particularly good sale, please reply to let me know.

Hello fellow Scouter. I'm the former Scoutmaster of Troop 134, Redwood Empire Council, Sonoma County, CA. We too worked hard to find a source of scout-worthy sleeping bags. Left to new scouts and their parents the boys usually ended up with flannel lined Coleman monsters that were as large as the boys' entire packs!

A good source of bags might be Alps Mountaineering. I find their products very well engineered and tough enough for boy scout use. It's not the lightest gear you can buy, but rather a good tradeoff between durability and reasonable weight.

Oh, and did I fail to mention: 45% off for Boy Scouts? Yep. Sign up at www.scoutdirect.com

Yours in Scouting,

Doug
    It's not the camera. It's the photograph you see in your mind and your ability to both manipulate the camera and to develop the image to present your vision.

Journal Entries

Campmor usually offers discounts to groups as well. I might suggest the mountain hardware pinole 20* @ around 3 pounds 2 oz. Sometimes you can find really good deals on them. I got one for around $60 last year and it is a good bag for the price.

Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by chip2012 View Post
    Campmor usually offers discounts to groups as well. I might suggest the mountain hardware pinole 20* @ around 3 pounds 2 oz. Sometimes you can find really good deals on them. I got one for around $60 last year and it is a good bag for the price.

Good luck
    Thanks for the heads up. I see they usually extend an additional 10% to Scouts. That's the spirit!
    It's not the camera. It's the photograph you see in your mind and your ability to both manipulate the camera and to develop the image to present your vision.

Not committing until I graduate! Sassafras Lass's Avatar
    Images

After using down last year, hubby and I picked up the Mt. Hardwear Lamina bags. We got the 0 degree UltraLamina bags (3 lb, 6 oz.) that we're using on our SOBO attempt this year, because last year we had issues with hypothermia scares.. I think most people would do just fine in the 20 degree ExtraLamina (3 lb, 3 oz) or the 15 degree UltraLamina (2 lb, 15 oz).

My previous bag was a GoLite, which I did like very much, and other reputable brands would be Marmot, Jacks R Better, Thermarest, Big Agnes, etc. I don't put much stock in North Face or Columbia, they sold out their quality to China many, many moons ago.

Currently, you can pick up a Campmor Hot Deals! Mt. Hardwear 20 synth bag for $130. Of course, depending on your scouts' sizes you may want a few kid's sized bags.
    Formerly 'F-Stop'

If you don't like the road you're walking, start paving another one.

~ Dolly Parton

Working on Forestry Grad schol

GoLite has some nice sales right now. You could also try contacting manufacturers directly.

++ New Posts ++