WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Platypus vs. Camel

Two questions:

1) Anyone have any trouble with the Platypus (long) drinking tube reservoir? Or is the camel better (but weightier)?
    2) How many liters should one carry? 2 or 3?

Thanks!

Images

Never tried the Camelback, but we have a bunch of the Platy drinking bladder things with the hose. Never had any trouble using them, but keeping them clean between uses was always an issue (they would grow green stuff inside the tube.) The convenience of having the little hose right there, and being able to drink whenever I wanted was pretty cool, but I went back to bottles after a few years.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Images

Oh, and on the AT I usually start the day with 1 or 1.5 liters of water, after drinking most of a liter with breakfast. Then I'll make sure to stop and refill as needed along the way. If it's a dry stretch, or a drought year, I'll carry as much as needed to the next known good water source.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Virginia Tortoise

I used to hike with a guy that had a platypus. On more than one occasion, when the tube is not tightly fastened to the bottom of the reservoir, it loosens up while hiking and you lose your water. I use a Camelbak. I also recently picked up a cheap water blatter from WalMart for about $10. Works as well as the Camelbak.

Garlic
    Images

I've had nothing but troubles with drinking tubes. After about 600 miles of trying them on my first long hike (it was a desert hike where a hose or bladder failure was critical), I also went back to the simplicity of bottles. On the AT, I carried one two-liter platypus bladder, usually empty in the pack. I used one one-liter soda bottle to drink from, filling it frequently from springs and streams every few miles, and used the bladder only for dry camps or when the next water source was more than a couple of hours away.

Water strategy is pretty important. That stuff is heavy. I saw some hikers fill up a large bladder with three or more liters every morning, no matter their feet were wet from walking in spring water all day. That's an extra seven pounds, a good percentage of their load. I realized a one-liter bottle of water was the heaviest single item in my pack, so I carried the minimum needed. I'd even "camel up" and dump what was left before a steep climb if a dependable source was nearby on the downhill side. Take a liter of water out of your pack and it feels much better.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Images

I used Platys for years. Often had trouble with the "zipper" on top. If it's cold or the zippers dirty, it can be difficult to get it closed and secured. A couple of years ago, I switched to camelbacks. I like the screw on top much better. In 10,000 hiking miles and 15,000 bike miles, I had one bladder failure and it was my own fault. Pulled too hard even though I knew the hose was pinched and pulled it off the bottom of the bladder. I love using a bladder. Drink way more water and stay much more hydrated using a bladder. YMMV.
    GA - NJ 2001; GA - ME 2003; GA - ME 2005; GA - ME 2007; PCT 2006

A wise man changes his mind, a fool never will.
    —SPANISH PROVERB

as Field Marshal Wienershnitzle once said, "wars are won or lost by logistics". Same applies to hydration on the AT.

how much water to carry? the answer is not a simple answer

what time of year? how hot? where are the nearest water sources? how do you treat/purify your water? all these factors will influence your strategy

I use the Platypus 2L Big-Zip for my main hydration source while hiking and carry an empty Platypus 2L water bottle and an empty Gatorade 1L bottle. The Platypus "Hosers" are lightweight, but that screw-on hose attachment at the bottom of your pack can work itself loose, and leak. The Big Zip has the quick disconnect hose fitting, its easier to take out the bladder from the pack while leaving the hose inserted in the pack, much faster to refill. when its time to visit the water source off the trail, I can camel up with the Platy 2L water bottle or 1L Gatorade bottle. Some folks carry a bigger "water purse" for resupply.

if its hot/humid, i start the day with the 2L bladder full. if you are seeing many water sources near the trail and its easy to refill without long hikes off the trail, u could get by with just 1L and refill along the way. In order to stay properly hydrated, its important to drink enough water.

I do not use Platy or Camel bladders in the winter during cold weather, they can leak too easy in the freezing temps.

good luck

I used camels for years and recently switched to platys, whci are lighter and, for me, more convenient. A few months ago I finished a hike wherein I couldn't get my hose to stop spurting as I walked (no crude jokes, please). So I dismantled the hose and used the 2L bladder by itself, stopping to fill a Powerade bottle which I keep in my side pocket.

My current system is to fill the Powerade bottle and a handy 1 pint platy in the morning from the 2L as I break camp, then stop and fill the platy at the first water stop. Having to reach behind me and chug from a bottle or small platy gives me better water management than sipping from the tube and wondering how much water I have left.

I still use tubes when I run long distance but have given up on them for hiking. Personal preference.

I have a Camelbak. Never been a fan of the brand. An innovator company at first, then plateaued, now desperately trying to redfine itself in the civilian market.

Perhaps they just focused more on landing all those military contracts? http://investing.businessweek.com/re...vcapId=7667006

All my Platy's have been bombproof, including the drinking tubes.
    Last edited by Spokes; 05-08-2012 at 20:43.

Images

I have used a platypus for many years and have NEVER had any problems. at home, I just empty the water and put the platy in the freezer - no mold growth that way. They also came out with a great 'bottle brush' for cleaning the tube. I occasionally (once a year) use a little bleach to clean the tube and bladder. I do carry an extra (spare) bite valve but the only time I ever really needed it was to give it to someone else!

I don't like th ziptop version of the platypus, but regulary use the normal version. I have a older Camelback one as well. What I didn't like abou the Cambelback was the lid was hard to open and it weighs a lot more; but its more durable. The Platys are nice and lightweight put they are more likely to develope a pinhole leak (duck tape may temporarily help). But overal I prefer using the Platypus due to the weight.

I never put drink mix in them as they are hard to clean. No problem with just using water on a thru-hike in them though. When your trip is over let them drip dry (never store them in a hot car unless they are completely dry). For drink mixes, I carrry a used gatoraid bottle.

I prefer the 2L size for most trips. Too large and they won't fit in the smaller backpacks and if they leak, you loose too much water. Make sure the lid is tightly on before putting it in your pack. I didn't once on the PCT in Oregon and found myself with a wet back and sleepingbag.

Thx everyone!

"I will lift up my eyes to the mountains;
    From where shall my help come?
    My help comes from the LORD,
    Who made heaven and earth."
    -Psalm 121:1-2

I like the 2 liter platy. My hiking partner drinks about 2x as much water as I do. Could be cause I'm from the desert and am aclimated. I think maybe I don't drink enough (water I mean) so I try to drink plenty early in the day. I usually start out full, drink as much as I can early on the first hour, and make the rest last till the next source. Then I do the same when I refill. Since I use Aqua Mira, this seems to work ok for me. 30 minutes after refill, I'm down to a liter or so.

How much to carry - personal opinion -depends on time to get to next water and how sure you are that water is there. Big part of equation for me is hiking speed. Seems like the faster hikers can get away with carrying less.

One of the biggest discussion items when I pass a hiker coming from the opposite direction is info on water sources. Many times I've dumped or chugged water after hearing that the next spring is running fine.

Like Garlic said, its easy to carry too much, which negates all the effort and expense of reducing pack weight.

Thanks for your response. I think the key is coming up with one's own system that your comfortable with. Seeing how others do it brings new ideas and helps to refine it. Thx again.

"I will lift up my eyes to the mountains;
    From where shall my help come?
    My help comes from the LORD,
    Who made heaven and earth."
    -Psalm 121:1-2

I have a 1.8l platy hoser and also carry a 1l plastic bottle. The hoser has only been on a one week hike and it my foray into hydration systems. I used to carry clean canteens. I like it so far, and everything I have read puts them above camelbak for lightweight hikers. I also like to have a plastic bottle, because I find filtering into the floppy bag to be a pain.

++ New Posts ++