WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Images

i got for you a hobo stove, 5 cans of spinach, 6 rolls of toilet paper, bandana, 2 dozen #2 pencils, tin cup and a cardboard box (slightly used). that should get you started.
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Quote Originally Posted by kayak karl View Post
    i got for you a hobo stove, 5 cans of spinach, 6 rolls of toilet paper, bandana, 2 dozen #2 pencils, tin cup and a cardboard box (slightly used). that should get you started.
    I've seen peoples do it with less.

I joined 2 wks ago and have asked for nothing but ADVICE on this site. Big difference in my opinion, but hey - not everyone agrees with me. I don't see it as negativity, but as a large dose of REALITY. But again, this is just MY opinion. I am a large donator to legitimate charities and students/individuals that I personally know. I'm just saying that if you really want to get gear, there are a vast number of VERY inexpensive sources out there without asking for "donations." Now maybe you will continue to post on this site. Maybe not. But in my opinion, it would have come across as more sincere if you had at least been here for a few weeks before you started hitting people up. For better or for worse, I'm pretty direct - but these are only my views and not the views of everyone on this site. Many do not agree at all with my opinions on mooching. I am sure that you will find them less "negative."
    Last edited by WIAPilot; 05-07-2012 at 22:03.

Quote Originally Posted by MrMiner2 View Post
    I know this is a long shot, but I figure many are well off and may have gear that they don't want or use. Anyways I am a 21 yr old broke college student who loves the outdoors. I'd love to go backpacking. I uses to borrow my friends, but none of my friends (still here have anything). Thanks for anything!
    wow. there's young kids sick with cancer that would love to go on a vacation somewhere but the families can't afford it and you got stones enuf to ask for stuff for your vacation? seriously?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    I've seen peoples do it with less.
    ,but that's the DELUX beggar kit
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Because "many are well off" on this site according to him. LOL You can tell he doesn't know us very well, can't you?

Quote Originally Posted by kayak karl View Post
    ,but that's the DELUX beggar kit
    oh,the one with the little red vial on the side so you can tell if your house was handled improperly during quick gettaways.

Quote Originally Posted by WIAPilot:1285761
    Because "many are well off" on this site according to him. LOL You can tell he doesn't know us very well, can't you?
    I'm so rich I thought Platinum Blazing was trying to pickup older ladies!

Wow I can tell you're a lot of fun Pilot. Well thanks to everyone who helps or saw this thread and didn't feel the need to make me feel bad.

And no I don't know you. You don't know me. So how about we don't judge one another. If you don't like it please don't say anything.

Wow I can tell you're a lot of fun Pilot. Well thanks to everyone who helps or saw this thread and didn't feel the need to make me feel bad.
    Actually, I AM fun. And just to show you that my heart is in the right place, I'll donate a bandana to you for those tears...

Working on Forestry Grad schol

I can sell you some stuff pretty cheap if you send me a PM. I can't really afford to be giving stuff away, sorry.

Backpack, poncho-tarp, tarp, whatever. Good lightweight stuff that just doesn't fit my style anymore.

And no I don't know you. You don't know me. So how about we don't judge one another. If you don't like it please don't say anything.
    Well, there you go. You don't know me or you would never ask me not to say anything. I am ALWAYS going to speak up when I feel that perhaps some seniors on this site are being taken advantage of. They don't have to listen, but I am at least going to try. So Mr. "WhiteBlaze Member for 1 Day" - when you act irresponsibly, you are going to be judged.

I took the time to provide you with several resources to obtain nice gear that should cost you very little. Did you appreciate this? No - because apparently, you are only interested in obtaining what you can get for free.

Thank you pilot! I do appreciate it. As I said before, those routes haven't panned out yet. However, I am
    constantly looking.

To everyone else: I wish I could prove myself. I can prove the student part through email correspondence. And if anyone is ever near the smokies im
    down to hike. I am not taking advantage of anyone, but of course I would say that regardless. So do what you want, but I do appreciate all the kindness.

Thank you pilot! I do appreciate it. As I said before, those routes haven't panned out yet. However, I am
    constantly looking.
    No offense, but Goodwill and Salvation Army and yard sales are FILLED will inexpensive gear! EVERYWHERE. Many items have never even been used. I suspect that you have cruised Craig's List for free items and found nothing. Go to the thrift stores I mentioned this weekend. I am positive that you will find MANY items.

And for anyone who feels that I have been harsh: If any of you have priced shipping lately, it is really expensive. Tents, sleeping bags, hiking boots, and backpacks would cost a fortune to mail because they are large and heavy. And no offense, but I suspect that a lot of your items are pretty well used. For just the shipping costs, this guy can go into any Goodwill or Salvation Army thrift shop (especially on their 1/2 off days) and buy new and barely used camping items for LESS than the shipping costs.

Images

In an effort to demonstrate to teens and college students I work with how inexpensive it can be to put together a backpacking kit I put on a demonstration.

First I listed my gear, fairly pricey stuff accumulated through purchases from forum members, sales, and saving of funds for an extended time. Then I calculated what that gear would have cost if I had paid MSRP for each item.

Then I put together a kit from items I picked up at thrift stores, made myself, found around the house or bought at a discount store.

The result was two kits, both with backpacks, hammocks, tarps, top and bottom insulation, cook kit and stove, rain gear, light, hydration system, and water purification system.
    Both kits took into consideration shelter, food, water, and protection from the rain. Either kit would comfortably take me down to 20 degrees without anything additional needed.

The first kit with fancy lightweight gear, down, silnylon, titanium and shiny newer looking stuff totaled out at approximately $1050.00

My dirt-bag cheap alternative with the $5.00 thrift store back pack, $3.00 thrift store sleeping bag, homemade alkie stove and beer can pot, gatorade bottle, homemade hammock and cheap WalMart blue pad and tarp totaled out at $53.00.

It can be done. Be creative; shop carefully; add an income stream, even if just something small to earmark toward gear; and have fun in the process.

Registered User Edwardo Rodriguez's Avatar

I have a Jetboil stove that you can have found it on the trail email me ed_rodriguez52@yahoolcom if you want it

I have some trail stable cheese........
    I hold my wife's purse at the mall to stay close to my testes.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++