WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    Images

Default Saw a mountain lion today on the AT

I was hiking north to the Mt. Rogers NRA HQ today and at about 1pm I saw a mountain lion cross the trail about 75 yards ahead of me. It ran across the trail then jumped up on a fallen tree and paused, then jumped down into the woods. My view of it was clear and unobstructed. There was no doubt about what it was, from the super long tail, the tawny color, the huge but low slung body. I've seen one in a zoo and of course on film but never in person before. I've been a lifelong hunter in southwest Virginia and I've seen a lot of wildlife but this cougar was a new experience. It wasn't a bobcat or Aunt Tilly's housecat. I only wish I'd had a camera in my hand.
    "You're a nearsighted, bitter old fool."

That is awesome.

Images

you weren't out picking mushrooms were you?
    can't never did

Journal Entries
    Images

That's really cool!
    Take Time to Watch the Trees Dance with The Wind........Then Join In........

Quote Originally Posted by vamelungeon View Post
    ... I only wish I'd had a camera in my hand.
    That is why I almost always have a camera in my hand. I would love to see another mountain lion in a situation where I could get a good picture. I envy you for the experience.
    Shutterbug

Images

AWE,you lucky dog(or cat!) Too bad you didn't snap a pic...such is life ehh?!
    skinny d

Lucky you! I think they are spreading ever so slowly on the eastern US.
    Don't Die Before You've Had A Chance To Live!

Was he chasing Bigfoot or was Bigfoot chasing him?

The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

very nice!

geek

Lucky you!!

I know of three others who have seen mountain lions on the AT. One in VT, one in VA, one in PA.

That is the one critter I've not seen in the wild yet.
    Stumpknocker
    Appalachian Trail is 35.9% complete.

Images

Very nice! What time of day or night was it? The only person I've talked to who said he has seen a mountain lion in the the eastern US saw it before dawn.

BTW, there was an article in the Charlotte Observer recently about a couple of mountain lions being killed on the interstate in CT recently.
    Last edited by Marta; 08-18-2011 at 06:47.
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3277

Instagram hiking photos: five.leafed.clover

Images

I was hiking north to the Mt. Rogers NRA HQ today and at about 1pm I saw a mountain lion cross the trail about 75 yards ahead of me. It ran across the trail then jumped up on a fallen tree and paused, then jumped down into the woods. My view of it was clear and unobstructed. There was no doubt about what it was, from the super long tail, the tawny color, the huge but low slung body. I've seen one in a zoo and of course on film but never in person before. I've been a lifelong hunter in southwest Virginia and I've seen a lot of wildlife but this cougar was a new experience. It wasn't a bobcat or Aunt Tilly's housecat. I only wish I'd had a camera in my hand.
    I'd encourage you to read through the following link. There are those who would love for this to be true, and if you could collect some evidence, they'd lile to here from you. http://www.easterncougar.org/pages/beyondsightings.htm

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Marta View Post
    Very nice! What time of day or night was it? The only person I've talked to who said he has seen a mountain lion in the the eastern US saw it before dawn.

BTW, there was an article in the Charlotte Observer recently about a couple of mountain lions being killed on the interstate in CT recently.
    I'm fairly sure there was only one mountain lion killed on the highway there recently, which is the one that USFW believes came from South Dakota. http://www.charlotteobserver.com/201...ylink=misearch

Quote Originally Posted by Marta View Post
    What time of day or night was it?
    I was hiking north to the Mt. Rogers NRA HQ today and at about 1pm I saw a mountain lion...
    BTW, if you did have a camera do you think you would've had enough time to snap a pic? Most people carry the camera in their pack; I normally carry it in a case attached to my shoulder harness, but there have been some things I wanted to get a pic of, but just couldn't get the camera out quick enough, at least quick enough for a clear unobstructed pic.

That is so COOL! WOW! My closest encounter was with a black panther--of course, no camera! A lot of excitement, though! On my thru hike in '02, I remember two hikers saw a mountain lion up close and personal as it chased a deer directly across the path in front of them on the Trail near Bear Mtn (NY).

LUCKY YOU!
    Sunny aka Sunrise ga-me 02 aka Cody Zamora
    Have a bright and
    Sunny Day!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Maiden View Post
    That is so COOL! WOW! My closest encounter was with a black panther--of course, no camera! A lot of excitement, though! On my thru hike in '02, I remember two hikers saw a mountain lion up close and personal as it chased a deer directly across the path in front of them on the Trail near Bear Mtn (NY).

LUCKY YOU!
    There is no scientific evidence of the existence of mountain lions that are black. The cats we know as "black panthers" in North/Central/South America are melanistic jaguars.

pics or it didn't happen

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Murphy View Post
    pics or it didn't happen
    Yeap, even up here in the great north woods, close to eastern Canada, there have not been any confirmed sightings of mountian lions (aka cougers). Don't know what the OP saw, but it unlikely was a mountian lion. Maybe a Fisher cat?
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

pics or it didn't happen
    Does anyone have a good, clear photo of God?
    I'm far more open minded about the possibility of mountain lions actually roaming around, albeit in small numbers, on the east coast.
    Considering the large amount of woods and potential territory for these animals and the large number of deer they have available to them I don't see why people are so quick to accept the theories of the USFW.

Images

pics or it didn't happen
    No pictures. I don't really care if anyone believes it or not, and I know what it was. There's no way for me to prove anything. It wasn't a "Fisher Cat" or bobcat or housecat.
    "You're a nearsighted, bitter old fool."

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++