WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Bear/tourist news from Haines, Alaska

As reported in today's Fairbanks Daily News-Miner.

A call came into the Haines Police Department:

• A tourist advised there were bears running loose near the Chilkoot River Bridge.
    Caller: Hi, I am visiting from (out of state) and we drove out towards Chilkoot and when we went over the bridge … I just wanted to report that there were some bears there … running around loose.
    Dispatch: Welcome to Haines.
    Caller: Oh, is that normal?
    Dispatch: That’s where they live … Now, if they are threatening anybody or if you don’t feel safe, please feel free to call back. Otherwise, just enjoy the wildlife.

Read more: Fairbanks Daily News-Miner - entry It s tourist — and bear — season in Haines

Images

Quote Originally Posted by John B View Post
    As reported in today's Fairbanks Daily News-Miner.

A call came into the Haines Police Department:

• A tourist advised there were bears running loose near the Chilkoot River Bridge.
    Caller: Hi, I am visiting from (out of state) and we drove out towards Chilkoot and when we went over the bridge … I just wanted to report that there were some bears there … running around loose.
    Dispatch: Welcome to Haines.
    Caller: Oh, is that normal?
    Dispatch: That’s where they live … Now, if they are threatening anybody or if you don’t feel safe, please feel free to call back. Otherwise, just enjoy the wildlife.

Read more: Fairbanks Daily News-Miner - entry It s tourist — and bear — season in Haines
    ..." It was also reported that there was dirt and bugs outside on the trail."

True story: When I was a child, I lived in Alaska for 3 yrs. There was ONE television channel that we were able to get for about 1 hr a day if we held the rabbit ears just so. We could only play in the snow for so long when it's - 10 degrees. Videos and DVDs had not been invented. Swear to God but the families would pile all the kids in the car and drive to the dump to watch the bears!!

On my long Alaska trip in 2010, our last day on the mainland was in Haines. With several hour before the ferry, we drove out the road along the inlet and saw our first grizzly - a mother bear and 2 cubs. The Mom was fishing while the 2 cubs frolicked about. After a while, the cubs ambled up the slope, across the road, and into the woods. When the Mom realized they were gone, she bolted up that slope after them. If you never believed how fast grizzlies are, you would have after seeing her run.

1828 - Grizzly.jpg1839 - Grizzly.jpg1831 - Grizzly.jpg

++ New Posts ++