WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Congratulations on your hike and thanks so much for an excellent trip report. Knowing about the fords (or lack thereof), snow, and water availability is very helpful. And thanks for the heads up on the descent from Mt. Whitney. We're planning a 15 mile day, camping at Arctic Lake the night before we summit.

Quote Originally Posted by Cookerhiker View Post
    Congratulations on your hike and thanks so much for an excellent trip report. Knowing about the fords (or lack thereof), snow, and water availability is very helpful. And thanks for the heads up on the descent from Mt. Whitney. We're planning a 15 mile day, camping at Arctic Lake the night before we summit.

No problem Cooker. We camped at Guitar Lake. As an FYI, some of the PCT'ers advised us to try and make it up to Whitney around sunrise so we got on the trail at 2:30am. All-in-all, it was pretty good advice; sunrise over the Owens Valley was a pretty special treat

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Ronnwell View Post
    Just finished up the JMT with my best friend this past Friday. Started on June 22nd and finished on July 6th. We flew into SF and took the YARTS and then caught a ride to Lancaster to take the train to LA. We had a fairly tight schedule b/c my friend could only get a little over two weeks off so definitely put in 20+ mile days after VVR. Overall, everything worked out great.

We re-supplied at VVR and in Independence. We debated on trying to resupply earlier at Red's and then at Muir Trail Ranch, but didn't want to carry 6 or 7 days worth of food on the tail end. Although its definitely more work getting into Independence via Kearsarge Pass, it was the right move for us. Having a day and a half of R&R in Independence really set us up well to close out on the final two days where we needed to get over Forrester and Whitney.

I will say, I haven't hiked a longer 9 miles than the miles from Whitney down to the Portal. At that point, I just wanted to be done and that hike isn't insignificant as it drops somewhere around 5K feet.

Obviously, a really low snow year so no snow on the passes and I think we only really had to ford one creek (Evolution). Also, was pretty much cloud free for 10 days or so with a little cloud build up towards the end. Not one drop of rain. Plenty of water though, never had to carry more than a liter at a time.

An awesome little adventure that was really worth it. Hope everyone has great hikes out there!
    So am I reading this correct? you didn't do any food drops? I'm still hoping to go in late August but I don't have any permits & I would like to do it without any food drops & minimal pre planning as possibe? Can I do that? I was hoping to get there, acclimate to the elevation a few days & get hiking. What are the MUST's that are required? Do you have to camp in designated spots fo rthe entire trail?
    Take Time to Watch the Trees Dance with The Wind........Then Join In........

I am also planning on driving out there from Indiana. My hiking partner has flights to/from Reno on Sep 5 and 18 so we will try and get as much done over those 12 days. Our dates are pretty much locked down but the section of trail we hike isn't. We may do Reds Meadow to the Kearsarge Pass trail, re-supply, and then go from there to Kennedy Meadows (or some variation of that). This would allow us to avoid sending buckets to VVR or the JM Ranch.

I'm not opposed to doing some car swapping if anyone is interested.
    Pain is a by-product of a good time.

Quote Originally Posted by fredmugs View Post
    I am also planning on driving out there from Indiana. My hiking partner has flights to/from Reno on Sep 5 and 18 so we will try and get as much done over those 12 days. Our dates are pretty much locked down but the section of trail we hike isn't. We may do Reds Meadow to the Kearsarge Pass trail, re-supply, and then go from there to Kennedy Meadows (or some variation of that). This would allow us to avoid sending buckets to VVR or the JM Ranch.

I'm not opposed to doing some car swapping if anyone is interested.
    We may pass you on the road on our eastward homeward bound drive as you're driving west.

Quote Originally Posted by wornoutboots View Post
    So am I reading this correct? you didn't do any food drops? I'm still hoping to go in late August but I don't have any permits & I would like to do it without any food drops & minimal pre planning as possibe? Can I do that? I was hoping to get there, acclimate to the elevation a few days & get hiking. What are the MUST's that are required? Do you have to camp in designated spots fo rthe entire trail?
    Sorry for the crossed wires on that; We mailed food to VVR and Independence. It is possible to do a food re-supply at VVR w/o mailing food, but I think its a bit of a gamble. The store there only gets stocked once, maybe twice a week. They have a hiker box there, but it will probably be a little bare b/c its later in the hiking season. You never know though, but that means you shouldn't plan on it. As far as Independence, if you try to resupply there, be aware that 1) You hike a total of 15 miles (7.5 out, and then 7.5 miles back in), hike over Kearsarge Pass twice and also need to hitch from Onion Valley CG into town and 2) once you get there, there isn't a grocery store. Only a Subway and some gas stations. You can take a bus up to Bishop and they have a Vons there. Still, Indy worked out for us because after pulling 5 straight 20+ mile days after VVR we were ready to get into town. Yes, if we had to carry two more days worth of food, we could have powered through until the end, but I think it would have tested us. That is said in hindsight though ... at Day 5, we were ready to get off the trail for a zero.

As a quick reference point, my buddy and I are section hikers. We've done about 250 miles together on the AT and I've done 150+ of the CT (plus a ton of other weekend-type trips). Over the years, we've definitely lightened the load and refined our hiking style so we weren't complete noobs out there. We're fairly strong hikers, but doing 5 days of 20+ miles was a new experience for us. At the end of the day, its just walking, but it ain't exactly a leisurely walk in the park either : )

Good idea on acclimating. We definitely took it easy the first few days to acclimate to the altitude (my buddy was coming from sea level) and the bodies (we were both pretty much "off the couch" - not a lot of pre-hike physical activity). The first half of the trail is really suited well for this because you have Tuolome and Red's right off the trail in the first few days. You can even get down to Mammoth from Red's if you need a little R&R. In fact, if I were to do it over, I'd probably send food to both Tuolome and Red's just to lighten the load. All of this of course is to get you ready for the second half of the trail which is a different experience because its isolated and getting to civilization ain't easy.

As far as permits, we didn't get a reservation for Happy Isles so we had to do the walk-up permit thing. I flew out a day earlier than my buddy and got in line at 7am to get the permit for the following day (which meant waiting there until 11am which is when they issued the next day permits). If you don't get the permit for Happy Isles, getting one for Tuolome in my opinion is fine, just means you miss out on Yosemite Valley and Cathedral Lakes and doing the JMT mile-for-mile. No biggie because everyday is pretty much has its jaw-dropping moments.

No, there are no designated camp spots. Although, the terrain will sometimes limit you (i.e. coming out of a steep drainage).

I'm starting from Yosemite on July 20th, hoping to finish on Mt. Whitney around August 9th.

Can't wait!
    LT 2002, AT 2011...JMT 2012?

Flying out on Tuesday, starting on the trail on Thursday! Can't wait!

Registered User Caveman of Ohio's Avatar
    Images

Flying out August 6 to Sacremento and staying at Indian Flat Campground that evening. Hope to get a early hitch into the park for a walk up permit. If no hitch than I will wait for the Yarts bus to take me into the park.

Taking Amtrack into Yosemite on August 2nd and starting from North Pines unless we score a walk-up permit for Happy Isles. Planning to resupply at Reds, MTR and Independence 'cause I'm spoiled from the AT. HIking it with my boyfriend and a good friend from highschool. I can't wait!

By the way if anyone's still trying to plan busses this site is great:
    http://climber.org/data/shuttles.html

Addicted Hiker and Donating Member Hammock Hanger's Avatar
    Images

I will start hiking from Curry towards Whitney on August 18th of this year. Just got notification that the lake is so low the VVR boat has been docked. Looks like I will have to hike in to get my resupply! HH
    Hammock Hanger -- Life is my journey and I'm surely not rushing to the "summit"...:D

http://www.gcast.com/u/hammockhanger/main

Images

Its just after midnight and Im in front of the Wilderness Center waiting for morning to get my permits. Theres no one here and its kind of eerie, but in a cool way and it means I shouldnt have a problem getting the permits. Fun stuff, I start my hike tomorrow (7/28/12). Slow 3g here in the Valley...lol.

Addicted Hiker and Donating Member Hammock Hanger's Avatar
    Images

Enjoy. I leave for Wonderland Trail on Thursday. Once that is complete I will be following you on the JMT @ 8/17.

Enjoy your hike.
    Hammock Hanger -- Life is my journey and I'm surely not rushing to the "summit"...:D

http://www.gcast.com/u/hammockhanger/main

Quote Originally Posted by Hammock Hanger View Post
    ... Just got notification that the lake is so low the VVR boat has been docked. Looks like I will have to hike in to get my resupply! HH
    Wanted to bump this for those unaware of the ferry closure. Details on options for accessing VVR are available in the JMT Yahoo Group.

We were only planning a one-night R&R at VVR, not a resupply, so we're just skipping it which means we pack an extra meal.

Colorado Trail '07 / JMT '12

Wahoo! - we completed the JMT on August 5, Happy Isles to Mt. Whitney/Whitney Portal. Great scenery, interesting people, many great memories!

We flew into Merced, then took the YARTS bus to Yosemite Valley. On the tail end, we hitched to Lone Pine, then took the Eastern Sierra Transit Authority CREST bus to the Reno airport.

We sent resupply buckets to the Tuolumne Meadows Post Office, Vermillion Valley Resort, and Muir Trail Ranch. Unfortunately, the VVR/Lake Edison ferry wasn't running; we had planned to take a zero there, but packing the ~13 miles to/from VVR would have negated the zero, so we stocked up at Reds Meadow instead, and skipped VVR.

Storms threatened twice - the 1st time we got wind but no rain. At Guitar Lake, we got maybe 0.1" of rain, then it cleared.

Ronnwell is right: the 8.5 miles from Trail Crest to Whitney Portal was tough, especially the 1st ~5 miles. Steep, steps, and rocks - we felt pretty beat up. Forester Pass was also a challenge due to elevation gain and length. But the toughest days for us were days #1 and #3 - ~18 miles from Happy Isles to Cathedral Lakes, then ~16 miles from Lyell Creek to Rosalie Lake. Not sure why Lyell-Rosalie was so tough and slow - maybe we weren't fully conditioned yet.

Water wasn't a problem - there was usually water everywhere expected, though the flow was sometimes pretty low. The only wet crossing was Evolution Creek. Never saw a bear, either (though we'd hoped to see one at a safe distance!); nobody we talked to reported recent bear problems.

Wow - what a trip!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Cookerhiker View Post
    Sounds like you're aware that in September, YARTS only runs on weekends. Hope you're not delayed a day on your drive en-route.
    You've got me nervous.... the YARTS web site does not say this. Are you sure????? We were counting on a Monday ride from Happy Isles to Merced.

Ooops. That's a link for the bus I need. Not the one to Merced.

For many and varied reasons, we decided to end our JMT hike early after 70 miles.

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_rob View Post
    You've got me nervous.... the YARTS web site does not say this. Are you sure????? We were counting on a Monday ride from Happy Isles to Merced.
    You're OK - I was referring to YARTS service on the east slope between Mammoth Lakes & Yosemite. The line from Yosemite to Merced runs every day through Sept. 30.

http://www.yarts.com/schedule/2012/2...mer%202012.pdf

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++