WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    AT, ECT, LT, PCT Thru-hiker JojoSmiley's Avatar

Default Getting to Amicalola Falls/Springer Mountain (AT Transpeortation)

Getting to Amicalola Falls State Park, Georgia

From the Atlanta Airport: You can use the MARTA trains to either the Greyhound station or the Amtrak station. MARTA, (404)848-4711.
    To get to either of them take the MARTA train north from the airport.
    For the Greyhound station exit the train at Garnett station at 232 Forsyth Street.

For the Amtrak station: exit at the Arts Center station and take bus #23 or walk to the Amtrak station on Peachtree Street aprox. 1 mile north. Other options from the airport to the bus and train stations include taxis and the Atlanta Airport Shuttle, (404)524-3400, a privately owned bus service. The shuttle vans leave the airport every 20 minutes from stall #10 of airport’s ground-transportation area, bound for the bus station and Amtrak station. After reaching one of these stations your options multiply.

Gainesville: Two buses and one Amtrak train leave daily from Atlanta.

Greyhound: (800) 231-2222, www.greyhound.com.
    Amtrak: Reservations are required. (800) 872-7245, www.amtrak.com.

Gainesville to Amicalola Falls State Park
    UNITAXI, (770) 534-5355 or (770) 297-0255, offers service to the state park ($55 fare); transports dogs and accepts only cash or traveler’s checks. Service to trailheads at Nimblewill Gap(2.2 miles S. of Springer mountain) and USFS 42 (.9 mile S. of Springer mountain)are available for an additional cost.

Dahlonega-Hostel: A.T. Hiker Hostel run by Josh and Leigh Saint, (770)312-7342, www.hikerhostel.com., administrator(at)hikerhostel.com, $55 thru-hikers special includes pickup at N. Springs MARTA station in Atlanta, overnight stay in hostel, resupply stop at outfitters, B, and shuttle to Springer or Amicalola. Gear shipment to hostel available.

Survivor Daves' Trail Shuttle: 678-469-0978 www.atsurvivordave.com. <atsurvivordave(at)yahoo.com>Roswell, Ga.
    Provides shuttle services to/from major areas including Atlanta Airport, Gainesville Bus/AMTRAK Terminal, and North Springs MARTA Station to Amicalola Falls State Park, Springer Mountain (via FS 42), Woody Gap, Neels Gap, Unicoi Gap, Dick's Creek Gap and as far as Fontana Dam. Will stop at the outfitter and/or supermarket for supplies (time permitting).
    Reasonable rates. 24 hours notice please. Leave a message, he will get back within a short time.

Alternatives:
    Several Trail enthusiasts in the Atlanta area offer shuttles. The ATC usually has an updated list each year. Arrangements with these folks are best made at least a week or two in advance. Check the ATC website under “Shuttle List” for the updated list. If you prefer a hard copy write to the ATC, attn: Shuttle List , 799 Washington St. Harpers Ferry, WV 25425-0807.</atsurvivordave(at)yahoo.com>
    Last edited by attroll; 06-10-2009 at 17:55.
    Jojo Smiley :)
    Savor the Moments!

Images

Only use Unitaxi if you are fluent in Spanish. Not many of the drivers speak English. Kinda cool they go to Amicalola though!

Thanks Jojo, that's useful information.
    I wouldn't want to get lost BEFORE I get on the Trail.

Jags

I am driving from Florida in May and plan to leave my jeep someplace safe (paid)
    then take a shuttle to Amicalola for a two week hike on the AT, end up where ever, I am not in any hurry, catch a bus back to my jeep.

Help with directions and a place to leave my jeep. I have never Hiked the AT before
    It is easier to ask for forgivness than to get permission.

You can park at Amicalola State Park for $3 for 6 months or more.

Quote Originally Posted by halibut15 View Post
    Only use Unitaxi if you are fluent in Spanish. Not many of the drivers speak English. Kinda cool they go to Amicalola though!
    http://appalachiantrailservices.com/...-1-1-s&reset=1 here is a link os shuttlers there and this taxi speaks english and spanish,also paddy's taxi in Dahlonega is american owned.

Default Parking at Amicalola

I parked here for 5 months on my thru hike and my truck was unhurt at the visitors center long term parking. I would recommend this for others. Its great to take a bus back and see what you passed all this time.

Journal Entries
    Images

I talked to Leigh Saint. She just quoted me $88 from Unicoi back to Amicalola plus 10% per additional person. Sounds resonable especially compared to a taxi. But Dave referred me to Wes at 706-747-2671 who offered to take up to 4 people from Unicoi back to Amicalola for $85 flat.
    alifelongpursuit.blogspot.com

Smile thanks

this is exactly what i needed

I highly recommend staying at Hiker Hostel. Leigh and Josh are both from the area originally. When they thru-hiked the AT they kept hearing of hikers' problems of getting to Amicalola, so they built the Hostel. They can shuttle you within a mile from the start of the AT on Springer. It is a great place to meet other hikers about to start the journey north. You will not leave there hungry. It is better than a Hilton. My wife and I stayed there a week, slack-packing through GA.

AT Survivor Dave is awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by buzzamania View Post
    I talked to Leigh Saint. She just quoted me $88 from Unicoi back to Amicalola plus 10% per additional person. Sounds resonable especially compared to a taxi. But Dave referred me to Wes at 706-747-2671 who offered to take up to 4 people from Unicoi back to Amicalola for $85 flat.
    I havnt used the Hiker Hostel, but from my reads and talks, they seem to be pretty reasonable accomadations.. Wes shuttled me last August and was in contact with me several times by email. He really is a good guy..

I think it would be a hard choice between the 2.. But with food at the Hiker Hostel, well now, that is an added bonus...

Graywolf
    "So what if theres a mountain, get over it!!!" - Graywolf, 2010

I am a former thru-hiker from 2008, and I can give rides to and from the airport to the trailhead, and I also have a cabin up in elijay about 20 mins from trailhead that I can put you up in for the night if need be. Call me at 678-887-6588 I love to help fellow thru-hikers!

What's everyone's opinion on Survivor Dave's shuttle? Anyone used him before? He seems like a straightfoward guy

Bayou
    Journal Entries

Need a ride to Springer Mt. (or Amicalola Falls S.P.) around the 20th March 2011, will be starting my 3th "AT thru-hike" attempt. I can meet my ride in GA, Atlanta (train station or bus or at a rail station) or Gainesville, GA, bus or train station.

I hiked from Springer thru the Smokies in '2000. Hiked from Springer to VA, then flipped to Katahdin and hiked south, a total of about 1600 miles. Then I hiked all the rest of the AT over the next five years, So I am a 2000 miler, just not a "AT thru-hiker".

Thanks,
    Roy "Bayou" Knight
    504-343-3734
    [email protected]

My Facebook Page www.facebook/royhiking

What are the options for over night at Amiccolola as I would like to leave fairly early in the morning when I start up the approach trail. Someone said the Hostel at Dahleonega is nice but that they don't take you to the approach trail until around noon on the day you leave.
    Interested in hearing from others on how long the Approach Trail to Springer Mt /Shelter takes and what time they left and stayed the night before.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by tawa View Post
    What are the options for over night at Amiccolola as I would like to leave fairly early in the morning when I start up the approach trail. Someone said the Hostel at Dahleonega is nice but that they don't take you to the approach trail until around noon on the day you leave.
    Interested in hearing from others on how long the Approach Trail to Springer Mt /Shelter takes and what time they left and stayed the night before.
    You could call the Hiker Hostel at the number in the first post. They are nice people. I am staying there in March. I think they said something about 8:30 am for a dropoff after breakfast. Noon doesn't seem to make any sense.

I've used the Hiker Hostel numerous times and always got my ride whenever I asked for it. I've also left my car for however long I was out, and it's always right where I left it. Josh and Leigh are really great, serve a tremendous breakfast, and the HH is a great facility. You can ask them about leaving your car with them - I have never had a problem; don't know what they do for folks who want to leave a car for long term.

Tawa -- There is a lodge at Amicolola State Park. The dining room has an AYCE breakfast buffet. As an alternative, the State and the GA AT Club run the Hike Inn about 2 near level miles from the top of the falls in Amicolola -- includes dinner and breakfast, a bunk with sheets, and even showers. It's a very green facility. Taking the Hike Inn Trail as opposed to the Approach Trail cuts off the peak of Frosty Mountain, which depending on your perspective can be a good thing or a bad thing. Links are www.gastateparks.org/AmicalolaFalls and www.hike-inn.com.

Registered User Diet Orange Soda's Avatar

My husband stayed at the Len Foote Hike Inn last Thanksgiving and it was awesome and is 4.5 miles from Springer. They do require reservations so be sure to call as far in advance as possible. The food is great dinner and breakfast included.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++