WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: winter hiking

Default winter hiking

are there any specific areas here for winter hiking info? I got alot off backpacking lite, but i come here for info just as much.
    This spring I hiked from Harpers Ferry to rt 211 in shanendoa nat park. i would like to start ther and go a little further south sometime in jan or feb of 2013. pretty sure i have got what i need and know what to expect, but would be nice to see info from folks with a little more experiance.
    thanks

Images

something for ice. these have been fine the last 2 years.
    good gloves, extra pair socks, drink a lot of water and EAT.
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

AT 2012

the hardest thing to do is plan mileage. if you only hike during daylight hours you just can't get that far. i suggest you plan on hiking before and/or after dark. if there is significant snow on the ground and you need snow shoes it'll slow you down to darn close to 1 mile an hour. microspikes make ice more or less a non-issue for walking speed. i guess my best advice would be to plan the amount of time you are hiking and try to be flexible with the distance. and bring a book. (i read books on my droid... and bring an extra battery)
    Lazarus

winterrekking.com
    wintercampers.com

Images

Kayak Karl, right as rain, have been out in the cold-cold, did NOT eat enough, rookie mistake!

Especially before going to bed.

Images

that was 3 years ago. better at it now LOL. it is hard to get those calories in ya.

Images

Another good source for winter info is the AMC/ADK winter mountaineering course. This course has a very good reputation. The student handbook and gear lists are excellent:
    http://www.winterschool.org/studentcenter.html
    BUT, this and tom murphy's links are for conditions appreciably colder than it will normally get in the southern mountains.

The Boston AMC chapter has a good course on winter hiking for people near enough to Boston. One thing they teach is that whenever you pause, eat and drink. It's very easy to get dehydrated in the cold because the air is so dry and that's especially bad in the cold.

Images

For something so simple this backpacking "thing" has a lot to it.........and at the same time simple, hydrate!!! and eat.

Then we have the weight issue, more food = more weight.

Can't they invent like 1000 calorie dehyrdated single serving Spam?

Quote Originally Posted by Del Q View Post
    Kayak Karl, right as rain, have been out in the cold-cold, did NOT eat enough, rookie mistake!

Especially before going to bed.
    +2

I usu sleep warm. One winter night I just didn't fell like eating. It seemed SOOOOooooo COLD.
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

Quote Originally Posted by 1azarus View Post
    if there is significant snow on the ground and you need snow shoes it'll slow you down to darn close to 1 mile an hour.
    That's if you are lucky. On a long ascent, in deep, fresh, wet snow, you can end up doing half that, or less. A group of three or more to break trail helps a lot.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Images

postholing buddy does help. when going up hill its easy to slip and lose ground quickly. even in just 4-6" the constant checking of rock with poles slows you down.

Quote Originally Posted by Feral Bill View Post
    That's if you are lucky. On a long ascent, in deep, fresh, wet snow, you can end up doing half that, or less. A group of three or more to break trail helps a lot.
    My record low for hiking from sun-up to sundown in Georgia was 4 miles. It was not the hardest day I had by any means.

When the snow gets a small crust of ice, your weight will determine how long it takes before you fall through. If you're almost matched but still fall through on most steps, that's the worst (aside from slick solid ice).

I recall one spot in NC where the trail took a nasty turn. I made it through fine, but the next day, two hikers (out of 4 or 6 total) broke arms when they fell there.

Snow is beautiful, but be prepared for low-mileage days if you have any significant quantity and an occasional sketchy spot on the Southern AT. Make sure you're in shape before you start, and that you know how to use a map and compass (don't count on a GPS battery lasting in the cold).

Images

"are there any specific areas here for winter hiking info?" Actually, there is. It's TipiWalter's trip reports, an excellent resource. It's definitely possible to do winter trips lighter than TipiWalter, especially if you're willing to bail out in bad conditions and not set out when the forecast is bad.

Images

One quick and easy way to add calories to your meals is to add a spoonful or two of olive oil, butter or margarine to every pot of food. Also, when buying tuna, seek out "packed in oil" products. These tips will add a lot of calories, without adding a lot of bulk - important in winter.

Thanks. All this is inline with other info.

I seem to lose my appetite when hiking so the advice to eat is good.

Do people carry snowshoes or just posthole and go slow? I would hatr to carry something like that and only use them a couple times.

The links and advice are much appreciated. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by spanky4x4 View Post
    Thanks. All this is inline with other info.

I seem to lose my appetite when hiking so the advice to eat is good.

Do people carry snowshoes or just posthole and go slow? I would hatr to carry something like that and only use them a couple times.

The links and advice are much appreciated. Thanks.
    By the time of your trip, you should have some idea of how the winter is going. If there is deep snowpack at that time do take snowshoes. If not, make your best guess. And do eat well, it will keep you warm, as well as fuel your travel.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Virginia and Pennsylvania are beautiful winter hikes.

Remember to dress in layers. Drink lots of fluids (yes you can dehydrate in winter). Extra pair of clothes, multiple fire options, etc.

Keep batteries warm by keeping them close to you, even sleeping with them if you must.
    "In every walk with nature one receives more than he seeks." - John Muir
    My Outdoors Blog | Emergency Outdoors - Your source for outdoor, camping, survival and emergency preparedness gear

AT 2012

Winter with snow cover is THE time to hike pennsylvania. Open views no crowds smooth walking!

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2
    Lazarus

I once did a SOBO hike in the winter and had no more than 2" of snow at any time. (2001/2002)
    Of course every year is different.
    Here's a picture of PA a year and half ago in December however (this snow melted in 2 days though)IMG_0524.jpg
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

++ New Posts ++