WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Warmest Glove Liner?

I've found out that my fingers are very susceptible to getting cold and hard to warm back up. I had a bad experience up at Camp Muir this last Saturday when I had to take off my big gloves and was just wearing my liners so I could get into my pack and put it on.

Anybody have any idea what the warmest liner gloves are that have good dexterity? I'd like to be able to get into my pack, open a granola bar, stuff like that.

Any ideas?

Thanks

These are thin enough to do what you need.
    As for outer gloves, if you have a problem, try wool mittens and then use goretex overmits or similar.
    Seems a little overkill to me but then, for winter hiking or using hiking poles in wind and rain, you can use all the help you can get.
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

Images

Have you considered convertible mittens? They keep your palm and part of your fingers covered at all times, so your fingers should last longer while using the dexterity of bare fingertips. Put on that mitten cover and it'll be quite warm. I find mine to be warmer than any glove I've had.

They might also be called glomitts.

Gloves seem like a scam compared to the warmth of these things.

http://www.rei.com/product/305045/fo...-wool-glomitts

^ I've had those for over a decade. There are much better insulated models out there, but I won't bother unless I'll be spending time in temperatures that are single digits are sub zero Fahrenheit.

I've seen a fleece version at Target for less than $10.

Lately I've been liking these Outdoor Designs Stretchon knit gloves. Just a tad thicker than a typical polypro glove liner but thin enough to have pretty good dexterity. The only knock would be durability since they're a knit. I carry a couple pairs so I have a dry spare.

http://www.outdoordesigns.co.uk/prod...stretchon.html

David

Merino wool liners,work for me when skiing.

My go to set up is liners from EMS and convertable mitts,also from EMS,but these I use at 130 feet above sea level,not at elevations that your at.If dexterity is what your after,I'd recomend looking and trying on the ones you like and avoid the ones that have seams all bunched up at the finger tips,the cut can make all the difference in the world.Also liners do provide a bit of warmth,wicking sweat away from hands,but they also pull the heat out of your hands,at least that is my observation.good luck and happy trails.

++ New Posts ++