WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Geo-Caching on The A.T.

Hey all, I couldn't find a particular forum for this subject, so I figured general would do. Right now, my wife and I are planning for a thru-hike, after I get out of the Army. (I get out in December, we plan on leaving in March). I was looking at Google Earth, which is how I download all my caches, and I noticed that since last year, a lot of caches of sprung up on the A.T. I was particularly surprised, because when I looked last year (when my wife, brother, and I were backpacking in the Smoky's), there were none. My wife and enjoy this activity, as it gives a reason to get out and see things pretty much for free. I'm wondering if anyone is currently enjoying some caches along the trail, or if anyone has cached while doing the trail. Any thoughts would be great.
    I really don't feel I need to define this, but I have met a lot of people who don't know what caching is, so here it is, straight from geocaching.com;
    What is geocaching?
    Geocaching is a real-world, outdoor treasure hunting game using GPS-enabled devices. Participants navigate to a specific set of GPS coordinates and then attempt to find the geocache (container) hidden at that location.
    For those of you who love to hike, climb, and use your head, this is perfect for you!

Stand by to be flamed by the purists.

**Sits back with popcorn to watch the show**

I get out in December, we plan on leaving in March
    Oops, I need to clear up, get out in December 2014, and we will be leaving Match 2015.... Sorry, I can't believe I didn't catch this when I previewed it....

Oops, I forgot to add, THANK YOU for your service. I truly appreciate it.

Yes, thank you and your family for you service.
    I started geocatching a few years ago, when my oldest (now 8) wanted to start hiking with me. I think it helps make hiking more enjoyable for a young child.

Sent from my A500 using Tapatalk 2

It has actually helped my wife with fears of heights and claustrophobia. Hiking to the top of a mountain, and down into a cave for a cache has given her objectives to achieve, and has given us really enjoyable times together on the trail. Also, I'm thinking the mental aspect of having an objective that is say closer than a shelter will help. I have learned that geo caches can also give you a lesson about the area, or help share an experience.
    We appreciate the thanks, and we can't wait to get back out on the A.T., western hiking is much different than eastern, and in some cases, not as enjoyable... You know, high heat, and plants that want to kill you....lol

Images

There are a few 'virtual' caches in the Smokies, but you can't place a physical cache in a national park. This is why you didn't find any if you were just looking at the park.

GA-ME 2011
    Images

ATC has a policy on it, you can read it here http://www.appalachiantrail.org/docs...ching-2008.pdf

I didn't read it myself so I have no idea what the policy is since I'm not into geocaching.
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

Quote Originally Posted by AjR View Post
    Hey all, I couldn't find a particular forum for this subject, so I figured general would do. Right now, my wife and I are planning for a thru-hike, after I get out of the Army. (I get out in December, we plan on leaving in March). I was looking at Google Earth, which is how I download all my caches, and I noticed that since last year, a lot of caches of sprung up on the A.T. I was particularly surprised, because when I looked last year (when my wife, brother, and I were backpacking in the Smoky's), there were none. My wife and enjoy this activity, as it gives a reason to get out and see things pretty much for free. I'm wondering if anyone is currently enjoying some caches along the trail, or if anyone has cached while doing the trail. Any thoughts would be great.
    I really don't feel I need to define this, but I have met a lot of people who don't know what caching is, so here it is, straight from geocaching.com;
    What is geocaching?
    Geocaching is a real-world, outdoor treasure hunting game using GPS-enabled devices. Participants navigate to a specific set of GPS coordinates and then attempt to find the geocache (container) hidden at that location.
    For those of you who love to hike, climb, and use your head, this is perfect for you!

On a hike last September of the "Georgia Loop" (Duncan Ridge Trail/BMT/AT) with a couple other WB members I was introduced to Geocaching... At first it was kinda annoying to stop hiking to look for something but after we found the first box it was a lot of fun... We found 5 caches and I still have a Poker Chip from one of them... BTW Shannon left our map of the DRT so I could take the chip... lol...

Quote Originally Posted by Don H View Post
    ATC has a policy on it, you can read it here http://www.appalachiantrail.org/docs...ching-2008.pdf

I didn't read it myself so I have no idea what the policy is since I'm not into geocaching.
    I went and read it for you!

The ATC policy basically says - adhere to the rules and regulations of the governing body for the land that you want to place a geo-cache, adhere to the rules and policies of Groundspeak (and any other geo-caching listing organizations), don't mess up the environment (LNT) etc, get permission where permission is required.

All that falls within the requirements of Groundspeak for placing a geocache listing with them anyways so it's nothing new that a GOOD geo-cacher wouldn't do anyways.

And yes, most of my day-hiking is to go get geo-caches that are in spots I'd never find otherwise.

Thanks for the answers, I didn't even realize that the ATC had regs on geo-caching...

There are quite a few caches along the AT here in TN. I live with the AT pretty much in my back yard. From Roan to Damascus you will not have any problem with finding a cache every several miles. I would imagine other states and sections are pretty much the same.

Images

Actually found one by accident - I was looking for a place to camp before catching the shuttle into town at Winding Stair Gap, NC, saw what looked to be a hide and it was. I chose not to carry a GPS for weight reasons and because I didn't want to waste time looking for caches.
    Old Hiker
    AT Hike 2012 - 497 Miles of 2184
    AT Thru Hiker - 29 FEB - 03 OCT 2016 2189.1 miles
    Just because my teeth are showing, does NOT mean I'm smiling.
    Hányszor lennél inkább máshol?

So cool...I geocache almost all my day hikes...gives me even more incentive to retire early and do the whole AT...super geocache challenge!!!

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Funny enough Geocaching is what got me day hiking again about five years ago, then I got back into multiday hiking and it's all been downhill from there.

I think that for the most part, the same rules apply to the A.T. as they do to Caching in general, Know what property you are on and what rules apply, be courtious and only hide caches in places where it is reasonable for people to search around without causing a problem.

I looked into placing caches on the A.T. In Connecticut when I first started hiking. I don't remember the exact details, but I know that it was generally discouraged because of how narrow the trail corridor is in the state. There were definitely places that were okay to put a cache, but it required a bit of legwork to make sure it wasn't encroaching on private property.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

In NH state parks, you can get permission from the park. But you want to take care of it and check it weekly or bi weekly. Most I have found in a NH state parks are some type of history lesson or fact about the area, state ect... they also keep them limited in NH state parks.

Sent from my A500 using Tapatalk 2

++ New Posts ++