WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Searching for the perfect hiking shirt

I'm looking for a hiking shirt that is long-sleeved, as light and cool as possible, and something that the mosquitos can't bite through. Does such a shirt exist?
    This is an adventure.

Try any brand of 100% nylon and treat it with Permethrin. Some brands are pre-treated and a little pricey. But I don't think your gonna get mosquito proof in a very lightweight material.
    "Hiking is as close to God as you can get without going to Church." - BobbyJo Sargent aka milkman Sometimes it's nice to take a long walk in THE FOG.

If its treated with Permithrin or comes pre-treated like those clothing with Insect Shield, they won't bite through it no matter how thin it is. They may land on it, but they will quickly take off again.

This is my vote for a good very lightweight long sleeve shirt: Railrider's Bone Flats Shirt

Shirt? Who the hell needs a shirt to hike?

http://www.rei.com/product/810056/ex...eck-shirt-mens

I like this shirt and REI frequently has sales. And of course you can roll it up.

Go barechested and let your skin breathe people!

Images

Mosquitoes can bite through an alligator's hide. They can bite through any shirt. But, as others have said, treat it with Permethrin. That's the closest you can come to mosquito-proof.

Rain Man

[I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Journal Entries
    Images

TechnoD you musk be popular with the lasses no?
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Images

Quote Originally Posted by TechnoD View Post
    Been there, done that. Got the pack-rash to prove it.

Thanks WIAPilot, that's exactly what I'm looking for. I'll just have to wait until the purchase doesn't break the bank. Any idea how much it weighs?

Rain Man, you're probably right about mosquitos being able to get through anything eventually, but in my experience they have a noticeably more difficult time getting through some fabrics. My homemade tyvek windshirt gives me great protection, but of course, I don't want to wear that constantly if I can avoid it. With my light knitted hiking shirt, on the other hand, mosquitos don't so much as hesitate to bite through. I haven't been too impressed with bug-treated clothing (permethrin and such) in my own experiences, so I've been looking for a tightly woven fabric that will at least baffle the bugs for a while.
    This is an adventure.

For summer, a nice old cotton dress shirt wotks fine. Light colors attract fewer mosquitoes. Cost $0 or so.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Quote Originally Posted by TechnoD View Post
    It took me a while to believe it, but technical type clothes like Coolmax and Suplex and the other non brands realy do help sweat to evaporate and thus help cooling. When you do take them off to dry in the breeze they start all over again when you put them back on.
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

I have many synthetic hiking shirts, but after finding Merino wool I'm a convert. They can be expensive shirts, so its worth shopping around on the web. Department of Goods has proven to be a decent source.

+1 on the marino wool. Icebreaker long sleeve 150 weight. You'll love it.

Saw something similar today in Dicks sporting goods store. It also had UV protection.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Sensei View Post
    I'm looking for a hiking shirt that is long-sleeved, as light and cool as possible, and something that the mosquitos can't bite through. Does such a shirt exist?
    My go to hiking shirt is a Loose Heat Gear Under Armour tshirt sprayed with permethrin. Maddog
    "You do more hiking with your head than your feet!" Emma "Grandma" Gatewood...HYOY!!!
    http://www.hammockforums.net/?

I'm happy with the SmartWool Microweight Zip T, sprayed with permethrin. It's long sleeve, chest zip, seems to wick well, protected me from the sun on a two-day hike above 12,000 ft. By the way, I wore shorts and didn't apply bug juice to my legs and I returned home with 5-8 nasty bites on each leg. No bites whatsoever through the treated microweight shirt.

AT 2012

Quote Originally Posted by Miner View Post
    If its treated with Permithrin or comes pre-treated like those clothing with Insect Shield, they won't bite through it no matter how thin it is. They may land on it, but they will quickly take off again.

This is my vote for a good very lightweight long sleeve shirt: Railrider's Bone Flats Shirt
    That is one beautiful shirt... Do those zippers/pockets work with a pack on?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2
    Lazarus

Images

Merino wool kicks butt....................dries fast, low-no smell. Great gear.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++